Are you bored from Corona?

Its raining here. Nothing productive to do. Without things to do, I start thinking about going out. Bad, mohe!

This was the most productive thing I have done all day.
My professor asked me to take his typing test to see how quickly people can type technical commands. If you need something to do, here it is:

Typing Test help requested here - http://chaski-test.com/lime/index.php/742624/lang-en
Keyboard and 15 minutes required.

Oh the drudgery of corona isolation! Keep reminding me that I will die if I leave the house. People are starting to go out, so risk is high now. I see people out. Temptation high. Neighbors are starting to stand in each others yards to chit chat. Here comes the corona tidal wave.

2 Likes

I feel like I must be the most introverted person ever. I have not left my apartment property in ten weeks, but I am not feeling stir-crazy or bored. There have been a few times I’ve thought about going out to run errands, but it was more of a sense of, “Is it healthy to not go out for so long?” than being bored. I have tons of stuff to do around my apartment. Not all of it is “productive” (playing video games, watching YouTube or Crave), but it’s all quite varied and enjoyable. I have enough to do that when I start feeling bored with one thing I can move on to something else.

9 Likes

I think being an introvert is really helpful during this time. I too am an introvert and I quite enjoy my days at home.

6 Likes

I love being at home, I like puzzles, reading, games and my exercise bike. I’ve always cooked most of my own food with a maybe once a week restaurant pick up. I love my trips to go snorkeling still and enjoy the once a week take out food, so not a ton has changed compared to many other people.

But I realize I like to be out some at least. I can still do all that but it’s not being able to freely that is bugging me ? Which just strikes me as weird as I wasn’t out and about very much anyways?

4 Likes

LMAO - bored

Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you little else. Let’s try and keep things in perspective.“ Author unknown. When I am comparing that with today’s generations and their incessant narcissism and laziness, that are stressed and even raising protest against COVID19 measures because they need to stay at home a bit more than usual with internet, video games, books, e-books, audio books, Netflix … than I recall one more quote: “Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Swiped

Or imagine you have to burn your house down and kill your livestock per Stalins scorched earth policy

3 Likes

I have taught people who ■■■■■ about bored

1. your not broke down in the driving rain at 2AM
  2. no ex-lovers are stalking you
  3. no ex-lovers spouses are trying to kill you
  4. your not chained to a bench for having one too many and driving
  5. I could go on

BORED IS GOOD - the more bored the better

2 Likes

I don’t, personally, think the Great Depression was that bad. It only lasted 4 years.
The Boomers wiped out an entire generation and maybe the nation, economically, in exchange for cheap Walmart dish soap. I very much doubt that you have fed an elderly man, dying of hunger, from your bare teet. (Grapes of Wrath reference - last, most disturbing scene. Is that part of the book in the movie?)

Really, I was just using click bate to get you to contribute some time to taking my professors survey. Instead of doing that, you went on a rant berating several generations. Talk about narcissism. Did you bother to take the survey? (I can see that you didn’t.) Thanks for nothing. Jesus. I’m just trying to help out a nice man who has contributed a lot of his time, free of charge, to diabetes research. He’s working on his phD and needs some data. Help a dude out.

1 Like

What about this one? This post is complicated and involves a lot of new information for diabetics to mull over. Your deep powers of introspection could be useful here. No responses so far. Help someone out. Gentleman, start your diabetes problem solving engines…

Hey @mohe0001 I am a boomer and I never shopped at Walmart,I had never stepped into one and they were all over the place until I moved a couple of years ago…

1 Like

Thats amazing, Marie. I have trouble imagining who you are in real life. I wish you had a meme photo. You are so mysterious and difficult to visualize as a real life human.

I guess I use Walmart as the representation for all of restructuring of globalization and digitization. Maybe because its a concrete shop where American money physically turns into Chinese product. Twenty-somethings have nothing to do that. Always strikes me as a low blow to blame a bunch of 20-somethings for “globalization,” or whatever we call the period of time that is post 1990’s.

I sure learned a lot about introverts during covid. The introverts are doing swimmingly.
Extroverts are kinda down.
But, people with high levels of neuroticism seem to be doing the worst. Although, even they have evened out over time. They seem to have adjusted.

1 Like

I am a boomer and I boycott Walmart, but then again I am privileged enough to be able to do so.

I don’t think it does any good for one generation to criticize another generation. All generations are dealing with problems that the other generations never really understand. It never ends well.

5 Likes

I just imagine what I’d be like if I was forced to engage with other people, with no private space or time, non-stop for the past ten weeks. I’d be a wreck. Extroverts have my sympathy.

4 Likes

I made this mistake as a young adult who protested the Viet Nam war that drafted my generation as cannon fodder for a war based on the cold-war fallacy of the domino theory. I ascribed this poor political choice to the WWII generation and that was unfair.

No generation is a monolith and many of my parent’s generation did not support the Viet Nam war. I think many from that generation started to appreciate that involving US lives and treasure in a civil war halfway around the world was a mistake.

I’m a boomer, too, and can count the times I’ve been in a Walmart on one hand. I don’t like their business model as it’s decimated main street small businesses and relegated employees to a meager work life. Not to mention the amount of cheap goods that move from their shelves and soon to the landfill.

I don’t think using sensationalized terms to attract eyeballs is a good way to interact with this community. We struggle enough with understanding each other within this two-dimensional forum – we don’t need disingenuous tactics to amp up any needless emotional intensity.

Our generations share much more than we differ. And us older folks should always be ready to learn from younger people – they are wiser than we give them credit for.

5 Likes

How true Terry, a generation is mere 30 years on average but a lifetime is much more. My parents continued to be part of my generation and even my children’s generation just as I am living in and affecting the current generation. We make our mark on much more than the time in which we were born.

5 Likes

Vaccine possibility reported!!!

Sorry, Introverts. We might all be out on the town soon.

@mohe0001:

A comment about the “expression typing survey” at the head of this discussion:

I tried to take this using a phone and quickly realized that the “keyboard” on a phone is not well suited to entering complex expressions. I suggest that anyone that attempts this will be happier using a real keyboard. In addition to the challenge of finding and using special characters, “auto corrupt” on an iPhone is no help either: One of the expressions starts with “var result … “ which was changed to “bad result …”.

Thanks,

John

1 Like

Yup, sorry John. I’m sure that didn’t work, lol. Thanks for trying.

I am a high-level extrovert. I get my energy and satisfaction dealing with others; however, I am not suffering in the least. Why? Because I have the ability to interact with my family through FaceTime, I have my husband to talk to, I can safely talk to my neighbors if we all maintain our space, and I enjoy having the time to cook, weave, sew masks for my family and friends for when we DO have to venture out, read, write, and relax. I planted peppers, tomatoes (three kinds), and zucchini all in containers so later on I will have to venture out even less, and I enjoy interactions with others through forums like this. Oh, I also am editing a book. The author lives in California, and through DropBox, we are able to share the book as he writes it. I am happy (even as an extrovert) and have nothing to complain about. Smile. Life is good.

4 Likes

What is boredom?

Maybe I’m missing a gene, but I don’t get this concept of boredom. There is always something to do, something to cook, to read, to listen to, to write, to draw, to file away, to stare out the window and daydream about.

More importantly, what is Walmart?

LhqT

7 Likes