Aren't we all the same....TYPE 2 AND TYPE 1?

This video is highly relevant to this discussion topic. We posted it back in June 2009:

truth.

Let me get on my soap box :slight_smile: and dispel a few myths presented here in this discussion. It certainly isn’t necessarily true that Type 1s have had the disease longer than Type 2s, since Type 1 is diagnosed at all ages and the majority of new-onset Type 1 is seen in adults. Always has been. Type 1s are not some tiny percentage of the total population (someone stated 3%), they represent about 20-25% of the population. The problem is that adult-onset Type 1s (sometimes called LADA) are too often misdiagnosed. But antibody testing (GAD, ICA, IA2) reveals the true percentages. And there aren’t millions of thin Type 2s, but there are a lot of thin “Type 2s” who when given an antibody test are found to be Type 1. From my perspective, it is very important to distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2 because the potential repercussions for a person who has Type 1 but is misdiagnosed as having Type 2 are extreme (early onset of complications, DKA, and sometimes death). I do agree that we should all support each other in our journeys to take care of our health, and we certainly can all learn from each other. I know I do.

I’m feeling that there is some disconnect in this discussion, not on the fact that Types are different but share common goals, but on the idea of people who desire a group that is made up solely of their own Type. African Americans may interact freely and regularly with all races, but at times want to be just with other African Americans who can fully understand their experience in a way that white folks never can. Middle aged people who have friends in all age groups might sometimes want to be with just other baby boomers who share common background and references. Gay people who are comfortable with the straight people in their lives might sometimes want to be around other gay people with whom they can freely share issues. Type 1’s (or 2’s) might want to spend most of an hour talking about basal doses (or managing without oral meds). This isn’t meant as an affront to the “other”. I think it’s all in how it’s expressed, though, with no excuse for rudeness.

I’m actually in the process of putting out flyers to start a diabetic support group. If I only get enough responses for one group I will do it as all inclusive which means part of my role as facilitator is to make sure both Types get to air their individual concerns as well as to listen to and have understanding for the other. But if I get enough responses to break up into a Type 1 and Type 2 group I will definitely do that.

Zoe

Thanks. I wanted to say something to the same effect, but wasn’t sure how to word it eloquently.

Marps

No it’s definitely not true!

And we Type 1 diabetics experience ketoacidosis and Type 2 diabetics do not…

I agree with you, MelissaBL

Kimberly,

Well said.

Every day we prioritize how we spend out time. If we decide that we would rather spend time with a group that is more aligned with our needs and interests, that is not a direct criticism of any other group.

Time is precious; we all only have a finite amount.

What’s a superbolus? I haven’t seen this term before.

Terry

Monique… I’m not sure if that’s true. I’ve seen type 2s who get diagnosed over 800. I don’t know if it develops into full blown Dka, but I know that’s a really high BG and that it would probably start to turn the blood acidic like it does in us- like it would in anyone.

Manny,

Thanks for inserting your video in this discussion. I had not seen it before.

You eloquently and persuasively state the reasons why T1s and T2s can find common cause and fight together to defeat ignorance of diabetes in the larger society.

I encourage everyone to take the time to view this video.

Terry

OK, your use of the term “superbolus” led me to use Google to find a source of info. I found this article by John Walsh.

I discovered that a super bolus is used for meals that you know from experience will spike your blood glucose 1-2 hour post-meal but will come back to normal at 3-5 hours post-meal. The super bolus simply borrows some of the immediate future’s basal insulin and adds it to the bolus. The net effect is that the same amount of insulin is taken but more of it is delivered earlier. I’ll have to try this technique out.

In an effort to review and reinforce my pump tactic toolkit, I just ordered yesterday the latest edition of Pumping Insulin and Think Like A Pancreas. My last reading of Pumping Insulin was John Walsh’s first edition of the book, I think in the early '90s.

Terry

We are all human and have to go through a lot in life no need to discriminate against each other I think we should encourage one another and lend that helping hand.
Because we all fighting one main enemy just the numbers are different if we don’t assist one another how is anyone else going to take us serious.

Christalyn just ignore people who are acting in the way that they are acting diabetes is enough to be fighting against dont need rubbish from people.

Yes - very important to keep on top of the latest editions of Pumping Insulin. I think John Walsh deserves some sort of medal of honor. I love having a “guidebook” of sorts that lets me apply algorithms to my diabetes management. I heart math.

I’ve never heard that all type 2s will become type 1s. I’d think the ones who do are misdiagnosed to begin.

Although I was 28 when diagnosed, I’m guessing people don’t realize those type 1 kids eventually grow up to become type 1 adults and the only thing which has changed is time. Its not as if you outgrow it, unfortunately.

I’m typically thrilled with 150, esp. when I’ve been staying over 200 no matter what I do

My view is that if someone doesn’t want anything to do with me, I don’t want anything to do with them and I’m not going to force myself on them. But there’s no need for them to be rude about it.

Type 1 and Type 2 are different and there’s nothing wrong with celebrating or honoring the differences. But ‘different’ doesn’t mean ‘better’ and it doesn’t mean ‘worse.’ It also doesn’t mean “I’m more worthy than you” or “I suffer more than you” or “I’m entitled to more consideration than you.”

My thought is that if you run across this kind of treatment again, call them on it - especially if it’s a meet-up that’s being arranged through the tuDiabetes site, and ask them where they learned to discriminate like that. You could also set up your own meet-up, in which case YOU control who’s invited and specifically include the Type 1’s. Or exclude them. Your call.

Lastly, try to get over it. Just because some people are diabetics doesn’t mean they can’t also be jerks.

Terry

Hi Angie: According to Irl Hirsch M.D., member of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus (and a PWD1), “The term latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA) as originally described represents perhaps as many as 10 to 20% of adult-onset patients with diabetes.” John Walsh, author of “Pumping Insulin”, says that classical onset Type 1 diabetes represents 5 to 10% of all cases of diabetes and adult onset Type 1 diabetes/LADA represents 10 to 15% of call cases of diabetes, which adds up to 15 to 25% of all diabetes cases being Type 1. In the landmark United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) of Type 2 diabetes, 10% of the people that supposedly had Type 2 had ICA and/or anti-GAD antibodies, and clearly had Type 1 diabetes (Zimmet et. al., 1999). A new book, “Type 1 Diabetes in Adults: Principles and Practice” (Informa Healthcare, 2008) says that adult-onset autoimmune diabetes is two to three times more common than classic childhood onset autoimmune diabetes (p. 27).

Extremely well said:)