Attitude adjustment needed

It’s been 4 1/2 years now since I was diagnosed. I am still not liking this! I have been very good with doing what I am supposed to to manage it. But I still do not like it and get frustrated alot. Depressed? No, just frustrated with taking care all the time. Thinking I need a slap up side the head to snap me out of it. I would love to forget that I have diabetes for just 1 or 2 days and have my life back. I still don’t understand how I got it either. Maybe if I did it would be better. I like to know how things happen and why. This diabetes stuff I don’t know how I got it. So help people, how do I deal with it? any ideas to make this easier? Will it get easier anytime soon? how long before you are o.k with it? hb

Afraid there are no answers to how any of us got diabetes. Not sure I’d want to know since there’s nothing I could do to undo it now. It would frustrate me even more to think there was something I could have done or not done.

It’s overwhelming the amount of time, thought, worry, care & money we spend managing our diease. Never a day off… I cried, felt sorry for myself & then really angry–the why me, it’s not fair thing. No doubt the same range of emotions & frustration we all feel.

For me, just doing it & not fighting it made it easier. I grew weary of feeling it was a battle. I wanted to live without anger or wishing for the impossible that made me sad. I guess I wanted to enjoy living my life by moving forward & not looking back.

Looking back, I see the day I was diagnosed in some ways as “The Day I Died.” There were parts of me that on that day truly did die and became a part of my past and would never again be part of me. I also realize that I went through a mourning that followed similar lines to what Elisabeth Kubler Ross talks about. Her five stages of grief; D’nial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model). I also wanted to know why I got this and what happened. But, I suppose that I am now basically in the acceptance stage. I have diabetes. I’m going to have to deal with all of the cr*p that goes along with it. I’m going to have some troubles from my diabetes.

But, rather than spending my life in a negative sea of thoughts and emotions about something I can’t change, I’m just going to move forward. I’ll take care of myself the best I can. I’ll enjoy life the best I can. And when I encounter obstacles in my life, I’ll just do my best to overcome them. So, yes, it can get easier, but you have to make that happen.

I don’t know if that helps, but you should know that we all have felt the same way and you are not alone.

I think time makes it easier… You will have diabetes all your life. Some days I barely think about it. Of course I check my blood sugar 6-8 times a day, I bolus for my meals, I count my carbs, I try to exercise each day. But it comes very naturally now.

The days I have more than 1 low or my blood sugar is high without an explanation, those are the days diabetes becomes harder.

Life goes on… When I go on vacation I would love not to have to deal with this stuff. And vacations are actually harder. New place, eating out, sleeping in later, lows because of more activity or being in the sun on the beach…

It will get easier… Just hang on!