Awful customer support: 670g frustration

@breaddrink - That may tell you something in and of itself. With the Dexcom, there are threads all over about how long people get their sensors to last. Even the Dexcom CEO talks about it !!! (While at the same time being sure to say the G5 is FDA approved for 7 days and the G6 when approved will be for 10 days.)

The lack of chatter on the Medtronic sensor probably means that the vast majority of the users are NOT extending their sensors. My guess. In any event, I did find this post that may provide some additional information for you. Myself not being a Medtronic user, I thought it better to link and let you read it yourself so you could decide if it is relevant for your situation:

1 Like

So from the sounds of it, the new sensors have an accompanying disposable transmitter for each individual sensor?

That was not my understanding.

No, the 670g transmitter itself is not disposable. However, it does have to be recharged everytime you switch to a new sensor. In contrast, the Dexcom is charged out of the box and keeps going until it’s time for it to be replaced.

This was my first go with a Medtronic CGM. Someone either in this thread or in the 670g group I’m in on Facebook said that charging the transmitter isn’t new for their CGMs. I’d not know first hand about that.

Just an article on the high demand Medtronic is having for the 670.

http://www.qmed.com/mpmn/medtechpulse/medtronic-hit-high-demand-diabetes-devices

Ive been on the 670G in auto mode for about 2-3 weeks now, and my experience has been that its very accurate. It seems to be a bit further off the higher I go, but Im rarely over 200 and usually under 170. Maybe its anecdotal.

The other thing to remember is not only CGM’s, but glucose monitors are NOT exact. They are allowed up to a 20% variance. With that in mind, NoSugarAdded’s pics would be in line…

My complaint at the start of the thread wasn’t about auto-mode. In fact, I said that part was pretty great. Glad you’re having a positive experience.

Regina, I feel your pain. I have been on the 630G, waiting for the Priority upgrade. I finally got my 670G a couple weeks ago. It shipped with NO SENSORS. It took me three hours on the phone with Medtronic and in the end, I was told that my insurance won’t cover more sensors until the end of September (I last placed an order in June). They basically told me “too bad” and “use your old pump until then”. What I can’t understand is how I am supposed to participate in a program that requires me to participate and provide information to avoid being charged for an upgrade… not to mention requires a return of the old pump. I know full well that they aren’t going to just sit happily and wait a month while I wait for my insurance. None of the five people I spoke to at Medtronic could answer that issue. Again, none of them seemed the least bit concerned with my situation. This is the first time in the six years I have used Medtronic products that I have felt like I am just dollar signs and not a patient. I am going to start looking for other options.

1 Like

I’m using the 670G and have been in Auto Mode for the past couple of weeks. Learning curve but it’s been great! No lows whatsoever since I went into Auto Mode. Sensors are extremely accurate as compared to the previous version (Enlite). Love the 670G, truly a big step…next best thing for T1D management!

1 Like

So happy it’s working out for you.

Maybe it’s a harder adjustment if you’re coming from another CGM system. I’m looking forward to giving it a second go once things level out. Thanks for letting us all know how it’s working for you.

Ouch.

They need to really coordinate things better. Why are you required to use the 670g? I’d let it sit for awhile and, nope, they’d not get the 630g back until I had a box of 670g sensors.

When I hit a wall with customer support, I start asking for supervisors and also reaching out online. Keep us posted.

Regina, I find myself feeling the exact same way. I was on the Dexcom G5 and T:slim X2 (non-integrated) until I switched to Medtronic 670G, only because of the new hybrid closed-loop technology. I absolutely loved my tandem and I absolutely loved by Dexcom–in every way: customer service, accuracy, shipping, ease of use, etc. Yet, having used pump technology for years, I couldn’t help myself from checking out this new tech.

To compliment your thoughts and serve as another witness to others, I must say that the 670G system has the potential to be an excellent insulin pump but it really isn’t at the present time. In my experience, the new guardian sensor IS more accurate than the Enlite but it still lags in comparison to Dexcom’s accuracy. Considering Dexcom is about to release the G6, one would think Medtronic would have made a better sensor to out perform the competition.

Other things:
The 670G system constantly wakes me up (2am, 4am, etc) asking for calibrations and frequently gives many more “safety” alerts because (from my understanding) the FDA mandated that they be installed. There have been many days when my pump is vibrating more than my phone and as a 26yo, that is impressive yet also incredibly annoying. Yes this is new technology but we aren’t stupid people and do not need 60 alerts a day.

The battery–I became very happy with the T:slim’s rechargeable ability because you can charge it anywhere, anytime and each charge lasts a very long time, at least a week. I have already changed the 670G’s battery 3 times in 2 months. At one point, I was on the soccer field and the battery just died. There was no “you have 5 hours left” or anything. I was in the middle of a game! I was not happy to have to leave my responsibilities to replace a battery. This is the age of rechargeable batteries, you would think a modern pump would take advantage of that.

Finger sticks–I got on the Dexcom G5 because I wasn’t testing my sugar enough times. I hated doing it more than once a day so the Dr. recommended the dex. This really helped me stay in range longer and significantly lowered my A1c. I rarely had to test more than twice a day. With the 670G, I HAVE to test at least 5-6 times per day to remain in Auto Mode and I’m not even exaggerating, I have had days where I have been asked by the pump to put in over 12 finger sticks. That’s just a problem–especially for someone who could barely do twice a day!

Calibrations–Dexcom calibrations are immediate. Once you put in your reading, the dex immediately calibrates in one second. The 670G calibrations are quicker than the 630G which is great (take about 5 minutes) BUT if your finger stick is simnifically different from the 670G sensor reading, it actually says “not accepted” which is just funny to me. Like it doesn’t accept it so you have to wait 20 minutes for the pump to allow you to input a new reading. This is especially fun at 3am when the pump wakes you up for a calibration and tells you “calibration not accepted; please wait to enter new BG” and you’re thinking, “um…no? I have work in the morning…”

Basically, until Tandem and Bigfoot Technology can get their tech/algorithms approved by the FDA, this is the only system that in my opinion, (if you’re willing to go through all these setbacks), has the potential to change the way you manage your diabetes. However, the second Tandem comes out with the same technology, I’m jumping ship. Medtronic is on the right track but they appear to be the Microsoft to the Apple. Thanks for your stories! It’s great to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Wow. Yeah. You’re not alone. I’m going to give the 670g one more go but reading this makes me second guess myself. :smile:

Why? It’s working for me! Been using 670G for about 1 month and Auto Mode on 670G for past 2 weeks. Not one low, calculated A1C 5.9. Working for me, but you need to have reasonable expectations and work hard on understanding the behavior of the system. Get on the Facebook 670G forums and learn from others, versus trashing the system!

BTW - One rant I will say against MDT is that they over-marketed the system with sales to create perception that 670G/Auto Mode is “automatic pilot” T1D management. It’s not, still requires work, but in my 32+ years of experience with pump therapy and CGM is the best thing available. But you gotta work with it, understand the “assist” (versus auto, there is no such thing today) behavior, nuances…will take time so you need to be patient with it.

I think “why?” comes off as judgemental. I’m truly happy that the 670g is working for you. It didn’t for me initially, but I will give it another go. Others have had both positive and negative experiences.

Please respect that. Again, I’m thrilled it’s been smooth sailing for you.

2 Likes

This is my first post to this site but, I also am struggling with the 670g and need some input on what others are doing. I will try to keep it pared down but my story is long.

I started the 670g the end of July in manual mode. I was leaving on vacation had no sensors for my 630g and no training yet on the 670g. Medtronic would not send me some because insurance said I got sensors already…wrong pump. I stayed in manual mode for over three weeks and things actually went ok. I just set up the 670g to work like my 630g with the suspend before low in place. The biggest issue I had was the pump suspended me too long and sent my blood sugar high before I realized I had been suspended.

I was scheduled for a group training class when I got home from my vacation but it wasn’t for another two weeks. I started auto mode myself (never do it) because things seemed to be going well and I read the manual top to bottom. What a mistake. I went to my “training class”which was a joke. They taught people how to insert the sensor of which three people could get them connected to the pump and we spent the entire class helping get them up and running. Done and done…no training.

For the next months my numbers have been all over the place. I am constantly high after any food. Eggs will drive me to the 200 range from the low 100. I am barely eating and it is mostly eggs and cheese. I eat approximately 10 carbs a day. Celery and two tbs peanut butter for breakfast. Cheese or avacado and leafy greens for lunch (no dressing) and chicken or salmon and greens for dinner. My diet is very very limited. I go to the gym once a day and work with a personal trainer once a week. My blood sugar hits the mid 250range always after the gym and will stay that way for at least four hours or until I correct. I am truly at the end of my rope. I do have coffee with cream in the morning and I have to bolus for 14 carbs or my blood sugar raises to 250+. My IC ratio is 1:5 at this point.

My trainer has been no help. My doctor has been no help. The support line at Medtronic is less than helpful telling me to call my trainer and my doctor and this has been going on for weeks. I have called so many times another trainer has called and is trying to help at this point. She seems to think ALL of my settings are off and I am confusing the basal rates on my pump. She is working with a team to change my settings and give them to my doctor and make some massive pump changes.

Meanwhile I am back in manual mode. I am gaining weight and frustrated. I hate this pump right now and am hungry. I can’t do my workouts on my lack of food. All the trainers think linear. Do you want food, or do you want to lose weight? Well…both. I want to eat healthy and I would like to lose ten pounds. Is that too much to ask?

I apologize for this cranky first post. I don’t want to be cranky. Guess you can say I am hangry. :joy:

Medtronic needs to do better with training. Hopefully, I will get this all behind me and this pump will work the way it was intended. I just really needed to read and hear about anyone else who is having a tough startup and what they did.

Nice to meet you. :flushed:

2 Likes

OMG. :frowning: This sounds like a mess all around. When I was reading your post, my first thought was to work with your endocrinologists on your insulin to carb ratio. However, you said your doc hasn’t been helpful. He or she is your first line of defense and support, to be honest. I’m so sorry you’re having a crap experience. I’ll also reach out to you via message regarding a resource that might be helpful to you.

I hope you can turn this around. I simply got so frustrated that my 670g is now a paperweight on my desk. I do plan on giving it one more go, but I’ve still got some personal stuff that I need to iron out first.

It’s really clear that after the FDA approval they rushed this to market. The resources from support to knowledge all around just doesn’t seem to be in place.

Welcome to TuDiabetes, @Savannah11!

I am sorry to read all the difficulty and frustration you are experiencing with your 670G start. I am not using that system so I have no technical suggestions to offer you. There are many others here also transitioning to the 670G. You might try this thread started by @DrBB.

I want you to know that your expectations for your new pump are not unreasonable. You should not feel hungry and you should be able to eat what you need to so you may work out and not gain weight. I’ve always felt that every successful regimen for diabetes is built on knowledge. And perseverance – don’t give up and seek out the help you need until you succeed!

Good luck and feel free to start your own topic, if you wish. We have a lot of experienced members here who would like to help.

1 Like

Thank you Terry and Regina,

Sometimes some empathy goes a long way.

I did get a call from a Medtronic trainer and they are putting me back in manual mode and we are changing some settings. Either way, I am going to eat something today. It has been two months of virtually starving.

Regina, I hope you get your stuff worked out and maybe we can all try this again. Training is seriously lacking.

I appreciate any advice that someone has to offer.

3 Likes

I have had both for a little while now and I love it. The Dexcom is so accurate and stays on for weeks. Very happy with my decision to change.