First Impressions of the 670G

I started on the Medtronic 670G a little over 2 weeks ago and have been in Auto Mode for a little over a week now. It’s blowing my mind and changing my life. Here is my experience on it.

The 670G is coming!

6 Likes

Thanks, this was informative. I am eagerly anticipating my own 670G, though I don’t think it will happen before June. Curious how you got yours at this point already.

I truly hope I am equally blown away by the performance when I use it, though to be honest I don’t expect it. The default target level is above my personal target and my wish is to spend > 90% TIR. But, as I said, I am still hoping the 670 will get me closer to that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Medtronic rep is calling me this afternoon (again!) to try to get me to commit on the 630G -> 670G deal. Been dithering b/c so much of my D-practice is built around Dexcom (iPhone app, GlucoGram app etc), even though I use an old-school Medtronic Paradigm pump. So this is going to involve some major shake-ups in how I do things and I’m always suspicious of first-release bleeding-edge tech of any kind let alone something that’s plugging into my endocrine system 24/7. But recently I’ve been leaning toward pulling the trigger, and your description of your experience so far may have just tipped me over the edge. Thanks for sharing it!

3 Likes

I am part of the Client Training Phase. Wow it seems like you are in far better control than I was ever able to get into manually. If I hit 90% in range I’ll be posting about it! Of course I’m updating my blog daily and I know of one other person in the phase who likely will start blogging as soon as she goes into Auto mode.

Dr. BB I posted this on TUD and in my blog yesterday. I understand the issue with dexcom, but I think after the one month the head to head test I am doing will show that Medtronic has made some amazing strides in CGM tech. I wish you much good fortunate.

2 Likes

So I did it–just pulled the trigger on the 630–>670G deal this afternoon. One contributing and not altogether rational factor was the convenient/inconvenient fact, depending on how you look at it, that I did a sensor replacement yesterday and got the Dexcom low-battery warning saying it won’t let me start a new session when my current sensor runs out, now in less than a week. Since I hadn’t yet spoken to M-t I went ahead and had my G5 scrip refilled, figuring that however I decided I was definitely going to need Dexcom supplies because it will be at least a couple of weeks to get all the bureaucratic/insurance stuff cleared before a new pump can arrive.

Which means I’ll wind up with at least one unused G5 transmitter still in the box plus enough sensors for several months (more stuff for my Zombie Apocalypse Drawer!) As it happens my G5 receiver cratered yesterday as well, so I’ve got one of those coming too. Slightly irrational but it kind of eased my mind that if the new system drives me nuts I’m well equipped to revert to status quo ante, at least for a while, so when the M-t rep called I said screw it, let’s make the leap.

2 Likes

85% in range after 2 weeks… just sayin :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats! That’s a great number. Does the 670 allow you to set/move the upper and lower limits of the range? If you don’t mind the question, what is your range set to?

These early reports are very encouraging.

Since you mentioned time in range, you likely upload your 670 data for analysis. Do you use the Contour Next Link meter or the Carelink USB to do that upload? The manual talks about “diabetes management software.” Is that MiniMed proprietary software or is it a third party like Diasend? Is it a web-based service?

Thanks.

1 Like

Ask away! That’s why I’m posting and blogging my journey on it. You can
set alert limits in Auto mode, but it tries to keep you as close to 120 as
possible which is not changeable. The alerts are just warnings, but to be
honest, after a while they are less and less because the pump is adapting
to your blood sugar levels throughout the day. Manual mode is a different
story and functions almost identically as the 630G with the exception of
suspend BEFORE low which prevented rebounds for the week I was in manual
mode.

Right LoffKat, but with the 670G (which I don’t have yet) there’s also supposed to be an “Automatic Basal Resume” feature based on sensor glucose value that is supposed to resume basal insulin administration when glucose is above the low limit and trending upward.

When I get my 670G upgrade (from my current 630G) I plan to operate it in Manual Mode. The target 120 mg/dl glucose in “Auto Mode” is too high for me.

type1Steve, Auto basal is always adjusting based on your current BG. For manual mode it will resume after it trends upward. The 630G auto resumes as well.

Hi LoffKat,

The 630G does NOT support auto basal resume. The 630G does support the threshold suspend feature (e.g. basal suspend). However with the 630G you must manually resume basal delivery if the basal is suspended.

670G supports auto basal resume based on SG value. It supports auto basal resume for both “Auto Mode” and “Manual Mode” of operation.

Refer to the documentation for more details. Hope this helps.
Steve

I understand from the charts that your target range is 70-180, have you tried to set it tighter, e.g. 70-120/130? I have 75-115 set in Loop APS in order for the system to react in time, both up and down and I was just wondering if the 670 is working in the same way?

Btw, is there a direct pump-phone link for monitoring purposes nowadays or is the pump still “carelinked” only?

type1steve,

Check the documentation…I also speak from experience.

Page 7before the manual start and I know it does from experience as I
frequently went too high after the specified 2 hour resume time…
WARNING: The SmartGuard Suspend on low feature will cause the pump to
temporarily
suspend insulin delivery for two hours
when the sensor glucose reaches a
set threshold. Under some conditions of use the pump can suspend again
resulting in very limited insulin delivery. Prolonged suspension can
increase the risk of serious hyperglycemia, ketosis, and ketoacidosis.
Before using the SmartGuard Suspend on low feature, it is important to read
the SmartGuard Suspend on low information in the Getting Started Guide and
the MiniMed 630G System User Guide and discuss proper use of the SmartGuard
Suspend on low feature with your healthcare provider.

Page 177
Manually resuming basal delivery during a SmartGuard Suspend on low event
When your pump suspends insulin due to a SmartGuard Suspend on low event,
the bottom of your Home screen displays Suspended on low. If you do not
want to wait for your pump to automatically resume your basal insulin, you
can follow the procedure below to manually resume your basal delivery.

1 Like

Yes I stand corrected. The 630G does resume, after Suspend on Low, basal delivery after 2 hours.

I don’t use Suspend on Low on my 630G due to the variable inaccuracy of the Enlite sensors.

2 Likes

You don’t see it here? (Page 175)
To set up the Low Settings: 1. Go to the Low Settings screen. Menu > Sensor
Settings > Low Settings The Low Settings screen appears. 2. Select Low
Settings to turn on the feature. 174 Chapter 10 The Low Setup screen
appears. 3. Select the time segment. The End time starts flashing. The
Start time of the first time segment is always 12:00 A. You can set up to
eight time segments, each with a different low limit. If you set more than
one time segment, the time segments must cover a 24-hour period. 4. Set the
End time. 5. Set your low limit. You can enter a value from 60 to 90 mg/dL,
in increments of 5 mg/dL. 6. Select the arrow to the right of the End time
to select the low settings for this time segment. A screen appears showing
the available settings for the selected time period. 7. Set the following
as desired: a. Select Alert before low to receive an alert before you reach
your low limit. b. Select Suspend on low to have insulin suspended when you
reach or fall below your low limit. The Alert on low alert is automatically
turned on and cannot be turned off. ■ setting up continuous glucose
monitoring

Yes I know where to configure it LoffKat but thank you anyway. I don’t use it because I can’t rely on the Enlite sensors for low glucose accuracy. For now, with 630G/Enlite, I prefer to control things myself.

1 Like

gotcha.

I use the contour next link 2.4, the one which came with he 630G