Best *non-Apple* watches 2020? (Dexcom/G6)

Without using third-party and open source software, you’ll need to stick with Wear OS watches - obviously, you know this already - if you want it to work right out of the box. I stuck with the Dexcom apps, Dexcom G6, Clarity, and Follow.

When I last searched, I had whittled my choices down to Fossil Gen 5 and two TicWatch watches, the E2 and the TicWatch Pro 4G/LTE. There are others, but they don’t have high ratings, using Amazon review averages as a guide. In the end, I stuck with Wear OS and I went with the Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle, and the purchase was based on numerous sources comparing features as well as written reviews. I did write a review on Amazon, pasted below. The Gen 5 also has a variety of styles, other than the Carlyle, and not a simple black on black like the TicWatch watches.

You can see the variety of styles here:

I’ve been happy with it. The battery isn’t really an issue, as I have chargers around the apartment, and would have one in the office as well, so sometimes just drop it onto the stand.

Review

4.0 out of 5 stars - Best of the Wear OS Watches

Reviewed in the United States on May 22, 2020

Color: Black
Verified Purchase

I bought this specifically because I needed Wear OS integration. I have Type 1 Diabetes and wear an electronic device to continuously monitor my blood sugar, a Dexcom G6 CGM, and that only works with iOS or Wear OS. Otherwise, I might have chosen another watch, but this was one of the best of the Wear OS ones, although I considered a couple of Mobvoi TicWatch watches.

So far, the features I use and can comment on:

• I can see my blood glucose measurements on my watch at all times, which is why I needed Wear OS. This is fantastic. It relies on Bluetooth between the watch and has been reliable unless I am separated by multiple concrete walls.

• The message integration is nice and keeps me alerted, and when I have 2-factor authentication for a site, I get the code on my watch, which is way more convenient than reaching for the phone. It is convenient to get my messages on the watch, and usually just swipe them away, or if interested, respond. It does transcribe verbal messages well.

• I have taken calls on my watch, which is nice but can also be surprising if unexpected

• I use the heart rate monitoring for my rowing and running workouts, which integrates with Google Fit. I’m not obsessed about the accuracy but the number lines up with my other heart rate monitor, a Scosche Rhythm 24. I use third-party apps to synchronize my Polar Beat and Withings BF Scale with Google Fit.

• Throughout the day I use Google Assistant, the countdown timers, the stopwatch, the UV Index app, Google Breathe (this is nice)

Quibbles

• The usual is the battery but I generally get a full day with moderately active use, although if very busy, I charge it while wearing one of my older watches. Charging is very fast.

• Occasionally, I need to swipe twice if it doesn’t recognize it, but that could be me.

• On a few occasions, Google Assistant didn’t respond, so I either turned it off then on or simply pressed the assistant icon and spoke then.