Between Nov. 1 and Nov. 14: Do the Big Blue Test and Change The World of a Person with Diabetes

Every time someone participates in the Big Blue Test and shares the experience on BigBlueTest.org, a donation of life-saving supplies will be made on their behalf to someone with diabetes in need.

The Big Blue Test, a diabetes awareness program started by the nonprofit Diabetes Hands Foundation, takes place every November leading up to World Diabetes Day on Nov. 14. The campaign reinforces the importance of exercise in managing diabetes. People with diabetes are encouraged to do the Big Blue Test any day between November 1 and November 14 at midnight Pacific Time, by testing their blood sugar, getting active, testing again, and sharing the results online at bigbluetest.org.

The website aggregates all of the data collected live. In the last two years, just 14 minutes of exercise decreased participants’ blood sugar level between 15 and 20 percent.

In 2010, more than 2,000 people did the Big Blue Test. Over 120,000 people watched the Big Blue Test video. Roche Diabetes Care, makers of ACCU-CHEK® diabetes products and services, funded the production of the video and helped it go viral by donating 75 cents for each of the first 100,000 views, resulting in total donation of $75,000. The donation provided insulin and supplies to more than 2,000 people with diabetes in developing countries.

This year, in connection with the number of people that do the Big Blue Test, another donation from Roche Diabetes Care will benefit more than 8,000 people with diabetes in need. Five nonprofit organizations focused on helping underserved areas with a high incidence of diabetes in the United States will each receive $10,000, while $25,000 will go to support the work in Latin America by the International Diabetes Federation’s Life for a Child Programme.

“Exercise to help you - and help someone who really needs it get life-saving diabetes supplies,” said Manny Hernandez, President of the Diabetes Hands Foundation. “And join us in spreading the word so we can help 7,999 more!”

One of the recipients of the Big Blue Test grants will be Moundville Medical Clinic in Alabama. The clinic provides health services to underserved populations in rural Hale County, Alabama. In Hale County, the prevalence of diabetes runs high, while residents also face illiteracy, significant financial hardship, lack of transportation, and destruction left by 2011’s tornadoes.

“The Big Blue Test grant will enable us to provide free lab tests and individualized clinical pharmacy diabetes education and nutritional counseling to underserved people, including those impacted by the tornadoes,” said Heather Whitley, PharmD, BCPS, CDE, and director of the clinic’s diabetes program.

Visit BigBlueTest.org before midnight Pacific Time, November 14, 2011 to do the Big Blue Test, share the experience and help us touch the lives of 8,000 people with diabetes in need.

Thanks for running this event again! One question, suggestion, maybe too late in the game or something but has anyone considered trying to pull in more information, like “last bolus, last carbs, last basal” or whatever to sort of clear some of that out, or consider it? I presume that probably everyone doing the test will have some approach to that but it might be useful to pull in some data, even if it’s “fuzzy” to inform anyone looking at it? I’m not trying to kvetch but it’s something that I think could offer some meaningful conclusions?

These are the fields we’ll be collecting this year:
1)BG Before Exercise:

1. BG After Exercise:

2. Do you use insulin? Yes/No

3. What type of exercise did you do for the Big Blue Test? (there’s a dropdown with several options)

4. After doing The Big Blue Test, I feel more able to manage my diabetes:

• Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Neither agree nor disagree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree
  1. After doing The Big Blue Test, I feel more able to develop healthy habits to help manage my diabetes:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree
  1. After doing The Big Blue Test, I intend to exercise regularly to help control my diabetes:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree
  1. After doing The Big Blue Test, I feel closer (more connected) to other people with diabetes:** Strongly agree
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

The last four are for a study that a group in the Open University of Catalonia will be conducting. We may also be using some of the aggregate data in the first questions for a different study.

Test alot? Sure
Spoonsored by Accu-check? Isn’t that nice?
Why don’t they just allow their test strips Patents to expire and Let them be made Generically?
Even ones from 7 yrs ago are just as Accurate
and instead of getting $1.25 each, they would only cost about 5 cents…

That’s one of the major reasons Diabetics have Problems…
even 4 strips a day x $1.25 for Accu-checks if $150 month…= $1,800 yr

Can’t wait to see the video. Lots of energy in the trailer!

Let’s get even more to participate this year.

Manny, will it count if I do it every day, or just once? what about those who are unable to exercise because of disability or injury? I’m really excited about this, it’s always a fun time here and also on Twitter.

I have the same question as Marie - are we allowed to do it more than once?

I scheduled a walk in my neighborhood for the 14th - hopefully I am not the only person that shows up!

That’s awesome, I don’t recall exactly what they had last year but I love the idea of doing a huge experiment like this with lots of people and am very glad that you guys have taken the initiative!

You are certainly allowed to do it more than once.

Dennis,
You make a good point in terms of the cost of test strips and the impact it has for people with diabetes.

Just one thing I wanted to point out: Roche has a patient assistance program in the US that allows people to pay no more than $15 per prescription, which would adds up to far less than $1,800 per year. I understand this program is not valid for prescriptions paid by Medicare, Medicaid or other government programs.

I didn’t think it was possible to out-do last year’s video, but you did. I will be sharing…

Thank you, Elizabeth!! :slight_smile:

105/ 132. I hope I didn’t mess up the test! Oh wait, I have 29 more tries!

I’ve been ‘talking up’ the Big Blue Test, and some folks who don’t have D want to participate in order to contribute to the 8,000 goal. Gotta say I’m floored. Manny, is this ok?

Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all whoever have. -Margaret Mead

Yes, I want to know this same thing. My wonderful non-D boyfriend wants to do this with me (checking blood sugar and all). Does he count? LOL!

114 and 92! Data entered!

We definitely would want to be able to tell apart the data from participants with and without diabetes… before I say yes, I am checking with the developer to see if we can safely add another field (Do you have diabetes? Yes/No). :slight_smile:

Thanks Manny!

+1 :wink: