The Big Blue Test on World Diabetes Day

November 14 is World Diabetes Day. On that day, at 14:00 hours (local time), thousands of people with diabetes will test their blood sugar, do 14 minutes of exercise, test again and share their results on TuDiabetes or on Twitter.

The event is called The Big Blue Test because blue is the color associated with World Diabetes Day. It is based on a test-in activity that took place July 14, where more than a thousand people with diabetes tested their blood sugar at the same time and shared their results online. This time, the activity incorporates 14 minutes of physical activity to reinforce the importance of exercise.

Participating in this event to raise diabetes awareness on November 14 is easy:

1. At 2 pm (your local time), test your blood sugar.
  2. Run, jog, walk the dog or do anything you’d normally do as part of your exercise routine for 14 minutes.
  3. Test your blood sugar again.
  4. If you are a member of TuDiabetes click on the home page banner and share your readings and what exercise you did between them. If you have a camera, you can also add a photo of your reading(s) or you exercising.
  5. If you have a Twitter account, post your readings on Twitter (use the #bigblue hashtag) and link back to: http://bigbluetest.org.

We hope to see most readings posted at 14 hours (2 pm) local time, on November 14. If you are early or late, it’s OK.

What really matters is that you test your blood sugar often and that you exercise regularly. If you don’t have diabetes, you can still take The Big Blue Test. Regardless, tell others to test, exercise and share on November 14.

IMPORTANT:
If due to disability or medical advice you cannot exercise, naturally we don’t expect you to do anything that will put you or your health at risk. We’d love you to participate entering your blood sugar readings.

UPDATE (Oct. 21, 2009):
If you work in media or have access to local media, please help us get the word out about the event, by sending them the press release attached below.

UPDATE (Nov. 1, 2009):
Here are a couple of banners (one static, one animated) that you can use to include in your blog. Please remember to link it to http://bigbluetest.org (which points back to this page).

6984-PressReleaseforTheBigBlueTest.doc (164 KB)

#bigbluetest has ceased. #bgnow 160 mg/dl (figures) #WorldDiabetesDay #WDD09 #diabetes #sweatdiabetes #stopdiabetes

Yep! You need to prob. take some glucose tablets.

95 at 2:14 (96 at 2:00)

Wishing all a happy, healthy WDD!

95 at 2:14 (96 at 2:00)

Wishing all a happy, healthy WDD

135 mg/dL 14 minutes later. Yes it went up. I actually finished eating lunch at 1:59 so I expected that :slight_smile:

BG 294 Walked for 15min. BG now 288

(Im really ill)

Whooow! 83 I wish we all could work out every meal or day together! You are all awesome! Stay strong!

2pm BG was 317
I danced hip hop
2:15 269 and still dropping

2:00pm EST 53mg/dL
2:14pm EST 86mg/dL

I may not have been able to exercise, but waiting 14 minutes was the least I could do for the big blue.

O.k, this is my first time writing on any discussion board. Keep in mind I haven’t had lunch yet, but it is sitting on my counter waiting for me :slight_smile:
2 pm eastern time 82 mg/dl
2:14 pm eastern time 86 mg/dl

I walked on my elliptical for 14 min.

First BG 102, got on the exercise bike now it is is 92

80 @ 2:00
81 at 2:15 after walikng for 15 minutes

2:00 I was 81 and I did the Wii Fit for 14 minutes and now im 82. lol I’m probably dropping now!!

yay for big blue test!!!

84…a 16g Capri Sun, exercise bike 14 minutes, 81…

2:pm 145 and 14 minutes of stair climbing 92

Did the exercise and now it 84.

My blood sugar was 78 at 2:00 pm.

I swept the leaves off the deck for 14 minutes and tested my blood sugar again - it fell to

I had eaten cup of pumpkin ice cream 30 minutes before at 1:30 p.m. and had taken boluses with my pump to cover it. My blood sugar was 98 before eating at 1:30 pm so I expected it to be higher at 2:00.

I learned how fast my blood sugar responds to insulin and to exercise after eating.No wonder my blood sugar drops so much after meals when I go for a walk.

101 before jumping jacks and leg lifts to get a 88…