Beware, be careful - California DMV Suspension for Diabetes - no due process

The 2012 “decent scientific survey” that @DrBB links to is a particularly well balanced and comprehensive examination of this issue. While the patient perspective is formally excluded from the group of experts who authored the report, I can sense the influence of one of the authors, Dr. Irl Hirsch, himself a T1D. I think any further look at this issue should always include the patient point of view and not simply and exclusively use doctors or other experts who do not themselves live 24/7 with diabetes.

Thank-you for linking to this report @DrBB. It would be nice to place this link in a place that floats to the top of any search that includes the legal aspects of driving and diabetes.

Oklahoma did this and it was no big deal. It just says “diabetes - sugar in car necessary”."
So if you got pulled over, you could get a ticket if you didn’t have some type of carbs in your car. But police even counted sugary gum, so it was just a technicality. My parents and I liked it because if I did have a hypo while by myself, or got into an accident people would know. They might not look for medic alert jewelry, but would always look for an ID.

I did the same in Indiana, not issues whatsoever.

Then we moved to Alabama and I marked that I had diabetes and I was required to get permission from my doctor every 2 years to get a drivers license.

We’ve since moved to SC and I stopped doing that. It’s not worth the hassle and fear that they wouldn’t get the form and automatically suspend my license.

1 Like