Big Blue Test Fun for All!

This started off as a message to our Beloved Emily-She-Who-Fixes-Stuff-Really-Well…
And then I realized that we all might like to make suggestions—especially those of us with limitations on our mobility…Newbies—the BBT video is always a work of Inspirational Art:

"I was happy to see the DHF email from Mike today about the BBT. Just wanted to send you a reminder for the coming month and the BBT–of what I suggested last year as we wound down…

Please remember that we can’t all just don our jogging togs and head out for a run.

Working off carbs and calories are not the same thing. If I am eating even a moderate amount of carbs, here are some things that will do the trick: Gardening—even one-armed with a cane or raking; vacuuming to Bruce Springsteen; doing the dishes while stepping in place to Vivaldi; walking (with a cane) around a couple blocks and giving little treats to neighborhood kitties; yoga in a chair,etc…you get the idea.

While I was never a runner, of course, I was very physically active when I joined TuD just 7 years ago or so. Now I am not. The beautiful, inspiring video never reflects my reality anymore and just makes me weep while I clock my tests…

All of us need to manage carbs somehow. Losing weight requires other things—burning carbs, not necessarily, depending on how many you eat. Exercising as listed, I still have a 5.4 A1c even after gaining weight because we didn’t catch the whole thyroid problem quickly enough.

So let’s be sure we also inspire those who have difficulty getting moving. I love the Big Blue Test and look forward to it every year…Have fun everybody. We get to really connect with our fellow members all over the globe as we all post. It really is fun…!"

Click here to enter the BigBlueTest website to Make an Entry & Learn More

10 Likes

Great post @Judith_in_Portland!! I agree that any movement will qualify and be fun!!! I have had close calls with catastrophic lows from walking around the grocery store!!

4 Likes

There are a number of us that believe shopping at Target will guarantee a low bg. @Stoner is one of them.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I agree, @curlysarah ! But I think it raises my blood pressure—hehe!

1 Like

HAHAHA, I cannot argue with you there. Wal Mart might be even worse for me.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Target Lows…every single time.

I agree with you Judy. Well stated.

1 Like

Totally the worst! I make an “attack plan” to get in and out as fast as I can when I have to shop there!! :grin:

1 Like

I agree with you whole heartedly @Judith_in_Portland! great post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Corinna posted this on Twitter about chair yoga
http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/10/sitting-job-try-9-easy-chair-yoga-poses-infographic/

4 Likes

Just to extend the range of exercise, here is a You Tube clip about seated Tai Chi:

I can vouch for Dr. Paul Lam’s dvd’s being easy to follow. Several people in my tai chi group do their tai chi seated and find it still beneficial.

3 Likes

Yup—Love it…!..I can still do my Tai Chi standing (and gently, quietly working my energy around furry moving obstacles who think they are helping me). And I will stand for some Yoga still, but the sitting exercises focused on arthritis are incredibly satisfying since they do cover a lot of physical ground…Thanks for the video @Pastelpainter…xx000

1 Like

I was just looking at the description of the event this week (Thursday) on Type2 and exercise, and the speaker plans on discussing adaptations for those w limited mobility. Mark Your calendars and join us in the chat room!
http://www.tudiabetes.org/event/type-2-series-joanne-duncan-carnesciali-on-exercise/

2 Likes

I just wanted to give those of you who will be around at 1pm PT 4pm ET today a heads up that we will have an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator here presenting a live chat specifically focusing on type2 & exercise
http://www.tudiabetes.org/event/type-2-series-joanne-duncan-carnesciali-on-exercise/

it’s going to be in the live chat room (instructions on the event page where to click at that time)

I’m going to attend, as she will be giving recommendations and guidelines for those with limited mobility on how to accomodate.

if you get this too late, it will be in our video archive at some point. I’ll let you know!

2 Likes

Join us NOW if you can Thursday 10/29 4pm - 5pm ET

I almost always watch these later. Today I am apparently logged in to post here from your notification, but I can’t access the chat room unless I log in. Since I have never logged out since I finally got in, I have no idea what is going on. It seems I will be able to get it later, which will be just great. But I am really uneasy about messing with Login stuff…

LOVE these talks, though, and it is fine if I have to catch them later. The chat room always makes me feel slow since I have trouble keeping up with posts…Onward, as ever…Judith

If you have selected to stay logged in you should never log out either from the home page or the discussions. But you have have a record, perhaps having been logged in since the transition many months ago. I would recommend that you log in from the home page and see if the problem “autocorrects.” If you have any issues please send a message to tudiabetesadmin@gmail.com and the admin team will help you out. I wish we would never have these “glitches” but sometimes these things happen.

1 Like