Blah Blah Blog

I have never had a blog. Even on Myspace and Facebook where the oportunity is to do so, I would much rather be a fly on the proverbial wall so-to-speak. I found TuDiabetes.com and can’t stop reading about everyone’s experiences with Diabetes, their coping mechanisms, dosages, pumps, lifestyles and the affects Diabetes can have on one’s life and their loved ones in particular. I have also not been one to read blogs either so I appreciate you taking the time to read mine :slight_smile:

I think I was diagnosed in 1984, I cannot recall the exact month or day and come to think of it 1984 may be a guess too. I was about 11 or 12 years old. What I do remember are the events that led up to being diagnosed. We were living in South Africa at the time, Wendywood to be exact. I went in with my Dad and my best friend Wayde to get what the Doc referred to as a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test). I drank the nasty sugary substance and we waited, and waited, and waited…it seemed like forever. Wayde and I were goofing off the whole time acting silly as pre-teens apparently do (I can attest from seeing my 11 year old daughter). We got the results and I believe my blood sugar level was around 200, clearly a problem. Arrangements were made for me to check into hospital and that was one of the most interesting weeks of my life. Apparently in South Africa at the time, checking into a hospital for a day or two was normal protocol. It wasn’t a big deal for me because I had spent many nights in hospital over the years for respiratory problems. This was just something that had to be done. It had a bigger affect in my Mom who seemed really down about the whole situation.

I remember my Doc’s name too, crazy…Dr. Rene Heitne, a charasmatic Jewish pediatrician who