Blood Test

I recently opened my results from the full blood profile my doctor did a week before Christmas. Overall it’s looking good.

• A1C, as noted before, 5.2
  • Total cholesterol 171 mg/dL
  • Triglycerides 49 mg/dL
  • HDL 62 mg/dL
  • LDL 99 mg/dL
Apparently I need to cut back on the cream and sour cream. Fair enough. Olive oil remains my boon companion. Also, I have recently discovered a remarkably non-scary soy creamer for my coffee; most varieties of soy milk are full of weird ingredients and taste like vanilla- flavored plastic, and the two kinds that aren't don't go so well in coffee as the creamer does. And the sour cream -- well, I've had my fun with it, it's time to find new foods and let it retreat to prize of place as occasional condiment.

A few other interesting bits:
  • Sodium 134 mEq/L [range 135-145]
And here I was worried I was eating too much soy sauce, miso, and prepared foods. I probably am, but at least it's in range.
  • Calcium 9.2 mg/dL [range 8.5 - 10.5]
I really, really need to get back into the habit of taking a multivitamin, but apparently my calcium levels are in the 'norm'. I have a family history of osteoporosis so I'm a bit paranoid about this one.
  • Potassium 3.8 mEq/L [range 3.5 - 5.0]
I still have three quarters of a bottle of potassium supplements as a souvenir of ketoacidosis; probably not a bad idea to pop one or two every week so until they're gone.

• Total protein 6.6 g/dL [range 6.3 - 8.0]
Low but not too low; I'm not going to make any major changes regarding protein as long as it stays consistent.

My blood pressure continues to run low ( 90-100 / 60-70 ) so no worries there.

Another random thought: according to my meter, while my two-week average blood glucose has raised from ~95 in September to ~108 this week, my standard deviance has dropped from 47 to 30 at the same time. That's a third less variance, a third less roller-coaster ride; very nice! (Now I just get to drop the average back down again and I'll be doing well.)