Brett Michaels on Oprah May 19, 2010

Brett Michaels is due to air on Oprah on May 19, 2010 to discuss his recovery that was mentioned in recent news. I am interested to see this interview. I have been cheering Brett on for his/our cause that he represents on The Apprentice. A cause that effects all of us. He is in the final 2 and the final is due to show this Sunday.

Do you think Oprah will allow Brett to express his feelings/experience regarding Type 1 diabetes? Perhaps better than Dr. Oz.

Do you think Brett will be able to win the effort for ADA?

Any which way we should cheer him on.

I am looking forward to the interview too. Thanks for letting us know about it.

I was interested to see in the Diabetes Healthmonitor at the CDE’s office how he gets up and puts in a good workout whether on the road or at home. I wish I could get more motivated to exercise like he does. He also tests 6 x a day. He is on MDI. For being a rocker, he is a positive role model for others.

Last night, I also saw a spot on Entertainment Tonight that promises an interview with Bret TONIGHT about his recent hemorrhage. In my area ET is on at 7:00 PM on the NBC affiliate. I know others will have to check their local listings to find out when and where that segment will be aired.

No clue on what Oprah will allow Bret to say or not say. Sadly, though, Bret’s given out some misinformation himself, such as the children of type 1 parents have a 50% chance of developing type 1 themselves remark he made in the boardroom after he heard the news that his daughter Raine may have diabetes. I think Bret’s a great guy, but that was a bit of a blunder.

As for whether or not he’ll be able to pull a rabbit out of his proverbial hat and win against Holly, at this point, it’s hard to say. The way the show was edited makes it seem like Bret’s in a tailspin of bad things happening. He can’t get the equipment he wants to shoot the commercial he wants, he got his #1 flavor taken away from him by Curtis (though I think the idea of tropical fruits, vanillia, and cinnamon sounds much better – passion fruit is a very strong fruit taste), and his second favorite flavor got shot down in taste tests. Trump has also set him up with players that aren’t necessarily as strong as they could be: Darryl Strawberry quit/got fired quite a while ago. In the past, the final two contestants picked their own teams from the six most-recently fired contestants. In this case, that would include Sharon Osbourne, Curtis Stone, Maria Kanellis, Cyndi Lauper, Summer Sanders, and Bill Goldberg. Trump sent Holly two of the top six strongest players (and, indeed, 2 of the top 4 strongest players), but sent Bret only one of the top 6 strongest players. That does put Bret at a distinct disadvantage. Just think about the fact that Curtis and Maria were able to steal a sample of each of Bret’s teas so they could try them and decide for themselves if they had any real competition (they thought they didn’t). Um, Darryl, weren’t you paying attention!!!

OTOH, Holly’s weakness is in marketing. She’s not an outside-the-box thinker and when she gets something in her head, she’s unable to change her perspective. She’s unwilling to take big risks the way Bret does, and it shows. If she continues to do perform the same way in this task as she did on the other two tasks on which she lost, her advertorial, her commercial, and her tea are likely to be seen as same-old, same-old, whereas Bret’s will be seen as something much different than anything they’ve had before. And his advertorial is more likely to be short, to the point, and include well-designed graphics that will clearly state the message. I expect the finale to reveal that the two teams were close but I think the edge will go to Bret.

I’m not sure how good a spokesperson Brett Michael is. There are many other type 1s who can better represent our cause. People who haven’t said crap like this:

ELLE MAGAZINE: You’ve lived with diabetes since you were a kid. How does the disease affect your sex life?

BM: The only time it will ever affect you in bed is if you have extremely low blood sugar and you go into insulin shock, at which point you won’t be standing up, let alone performing sex. However, I will sometimes hold off on the insulin, which will jack my blood sugar level up to the low 200 range. It’s like how a prizefighter will want to go into the ring with his blood sugar levels high. It gives you the stamina of a bull. So, yes, sometimes I will endanger my own life to pleasure a woman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/10/diabetic-bret-michaels-i_n_213943.html

Brett is human, and he is probably learning like the rest of us. Unfortunately, because of who he is, organizations us his celebrity status to their best advantage. At least we are getting people talking…

I agree. I like the fact that these celebrities can get people talking and paying attention to diabetes. Unfortunately, people take what celebrities have to say more seriously than what doctors and researchers have to say, even when the celebrity is saying something that isn’t quite true.

Yeah, I never did understand way is that? Maybe it’s whatever sounds good to the patient?