Bringing diabetes supplies to football stadium with no bag policy

Any tips on how best to bring supplies to a football game when there’s a no bag policy? I’ve tried using a money belt underneath my clothes since they can’t see it but would love other options. (Also, I’ve tried pulling the I have diabetes card at security and it didn’t work.)

I’ll also plan to shove furit snacks throughout different pockets. I have an insulin pen, pen tips, dexcom, meter (as a backup) and snacks.

1 Like

Is there any information on the arena’s website? They can’t deny you entrance with necessary medical equipment, etc.

3 Likes

Sorry I don’t have any good ideas on this. I don’t usually go to events like that, I am caming, fishing and general outdoors type.

I’ll check, but I’ve run into trouble at another stadium where they flat out wouldn’t allow a bag so I had to empty it and put everything in pockets (and they took my bag… luckily just a drawstring) even though it may be possible to escalate it to a manager I’m hoping to avoid that.

1 Like

Refusing accommodation of your medical need to keep diabetes supplies with you during an event seems like a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The person who refused was likely not trained in this regard. Appealing to the supervisor level may help resolve this. Perhaps inquiring with a phone call prior to the event would help. There should be no need to hide your essential supplies like an illicit drug user!

3 Likes

Just looking around, the NFL stadium security policy allows a clear plastic bag, and allows necessary medical equipment in a separate bag subject to search. Some arenas may have a separate entrance/line for people with bags or who need special accommodations. Hell, they even allow diaper bags.

Those are probably some of the things you’ll be looking for on an arena’s website.

3 Likes

At some stadiums they let people use a see through carry bag of limited size, maybe check the rules where you’re headed. I’ve usually filled my pockets…cargo shorts if it’s hot or a vest under my raincoat if it’s raining, or a hoody with a big belly pocket. I put a pen needle tip on the insulin pen, keep that in a small Frio in my pocket and occasionally shift it around so it does not overheat in the sun or body heat. Everything else gets stuffed in various pockets.

The fanny pack has also worked for me, although I had an incident once when I took off the fanny pack and stowed it under my bleacher seat, only to get it soaked in somebody’s spilled drink seeping down from above.

I live near Gillette Stadium. While I don’t go to football games, I have gone there for concerts. I contact the security department ahead of time, explain the situation, and they’ve always told me to just bring what I need, and they give me the name of the security manager who will be on duty that day and his/her phone number so I can call them if they give me a hard time at the gate. Usually when I get to the gate, I just tell them that “security person’s name” said I could bring the stuff in, and they wave me right through.

4 Likes

I live in St. Louis, MO. I recently went to a blues game at the Enterprise Center which has a clear bag only policy. I had my endo write a detailed note to allow a small cooler and bag with medical supplies, and once they saw that note, they had no problem letting it all in. You must have a medical note though or they have no obligation to accommodate you. Let me know if you need a redacted copy posted.

1 Like

This is all so helpful! Thanks so much. I have a travel letter saying I need to carry supplies so that might work.

2 Likes

Depends on how picky they are. Mine says food to treat highs and lows in cooler ok along with insulin and a bag with supplies to treat both highs and lows for any and all sports/arena/concerts etc. Spells out cooler and bag. Just supplies might not help if you intend to bring healthy snacks in a no outside food venue.

Thx Brad!

I totally agree; I’m just hoping to get creative so I’m not stuck waiting for a supervisor if possible.

1 Like

I also went to a concert at Gillette and emailed them ahead of time (after searching their website for a while).
They replied and I printed out their email… Had no issues.

Just an FYI, it is a violation, though a lot of people don’t realize that. Way too many people think of diabetes as a diease … an inconvenience. It is a disability according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Your endocrine system doesn’t work correctly, and this puts your life in danger if you don’t have the supplies that you need. What those supplies are varies depending on the type of diabetes and how it is treated, so getting some kind of official note is usually needed if you need to ask for “reasonable accommodations” to be made.

Personally, I don’t hesitate to point out the fact that it is a disability. As a security officer (private security), I know that part of my job is to be sure that everyone at my site is as safe as I can make them, and that includes helping to be sure that anyone with a disability gets what they need to function and be safe. Generally, it’s someone else’s actual job, but I might be called on to help. I don’t ever want to be called on to explain why I contributed to a situation that put someone in danger.

2 Likes

I ended up putting a bunch of stuff in a money belt, which went under my clothes. I wore a hoodie, so there wasn’t much of a bulge, then put fruit snacks in my jacket pockets. What was amazing was that it’s been YEARS since I haven’t carried a bag. I certainly wouldn’t put my supplies and ID, credit cards, etc. in a money belt normally, but it’s amazing how great it felt to not carry a purse.

1 Like

They can’t deny entrance for you having medical supplies. I even took food into a big-deal traveling museum exhibit ( Leonardo da Vinci exhibit still drawing fans to San Jose’s Tech museum – The Mercury News ) after explaining my need for carbs.