Can T2s have any pasta at all

I enjoy Zoodles…Zucchini spiralized…Yummy…

1 Like

This issue was a great worry my first year after dx. I would prepare small amounts of whole wheat pasta, but I saw that it made my BGL rise more than I wanted.
In time I realized that pasta sauce, with lotza veggies, some shrimp or meat, & cheese was in and of itself satisfying. Today I make that the center of my plate, often with a 1/2 C of barley or beans. I haven’t had a plate of pasta in years.

3 Likes

The glycemic index rating of a particular food is based on how quickly the carbs in that food will be converted to blood sugars. There are things we can do to counter the effects of high GI (quickly converted) carbs from pasta.
Lasagna and fettucini are on the low end of the GI index as far as pasta goes. That means they will take relatively longer to digest and convert to BGs than high GI carbs like spaghettini, noodles, and regular spaghetti.
The longer the pasta is cooked the quicker your body will be able to convert the carbs to blood sugar. The recommended cooking method is al dante, i.e. cooked so the pasta is still firm not mushy. For spaghetti al dante would usually be cooking about seven minutes.
I find that the glycemic impact of a portion of pasta is reduced if I rinse the pasta in a strainer with warm water after cooking. That removes excess starch that is stuck to the exterior of the pasta/
Last but not least fat increases the digestion time of any food it is mixed with. So stirring in a healthy amount of olive oil or butter before serving will result in less chance of those unwanted high bg spikes. Add some seasoning salt, herbs, spices to the mixture and there is no need to include an old fashioned spaghetti sauce.

1 Like

For years my family has turned their collective noses up at me because I like (almost) nothing more than eating a bowl of leftover homemade marinara sauce with meat without pasta. I feel exonerated. Thank you.

And I like what Brian had to say on a different thread. I am paraphrasing here, but it went something like “pizza crust is simply a vehicle that delivers the toppings”.

Unfortunately, I must admit to extending this theory to Cinnabons: back in the day when I still ate such fare on a regular basis, I would routinely ask for an extra two containers of icing. Then I would give the untouched Cinnabon with its meager amount of icing to the closest homeless person. (In light of the fact that I am now a happy LCHF convert, in retrospect, I did those poor homeless people a disservice. It would have been nicer to have given them fast food burgers minus the buns…)

2 Likes