Just had low crb "spaghetti"!

Had low carb “spaghetti” with Italian sausages: spaghetti squash, sausages and sauce. Totally awesome, and I didn’t miss the pasta!

You can always use dreamfields pasta. I love their pasta. Only 5 grams of net carbs :slight_smile:

I also love spaghetti squash as my subsitute pasta. Have you ever tried SPELT? it's better than whole wheat pasta had has aprox 9 grams of fibre for about 98grams of pasta.

You are going to love those shirataki noodles.

I have pretty much gone the Paleo/Primal lifestyle for now, and I am finding that I am having a great time with my BG numbers. (I am not even needing to take Novo Rapid for the time being!) I don’t really miss the pasta, because to be honest with you, I wouldn’t stop at 98 grams. I know myself. (I was a Sous Chef at a Pasta Factory/Resto for almost 2 years!)

How do you cook the squash?

I've been splitting it in half, putting it split side down in a shallow pan with a little water and putting it in the oven.

How do you know it's done? Sometimes I need to put mine back.

I just looked at your website, and it’s AWESOME!!! You don’t know how much I admire people who can cook. (And I admire even more the people who can wash up afterward!) I especially liked the pictures of how you made the ice cream – I’m cuisinarily illiterate, and the pictures were far less frightening than the recipe in words. Keep those pictures and food ideas coming! :slight_smile:

@BadMoonT2 - I like to brush a little butter on the cut side (I also save the seeds for roasting!) with a little sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. I lay it on a sheet pan cut-side down and roast it off at 375°F for an hour until it is soft. You will know it is done by touch - when you put your finger on the backside, you will be able to palpitate the squash. I pull it out, and let it rest for a good 5 minutes, and then shred it with a fork.

@Natalie - I’m blushing here! Thank you for the kind words! Ice cream is kind of the holy grail for me. I love the stuff (too much!) If I could make something that would NOT raise BG levels and have it taste like Ben and Jerry’s, I would quit my day job and go make millions!~ :wink:

Emmy,

Coconut flour absorbs liquid like a sponge & more liquid has to be added.

Be wary with Dreamfields. It causes spikes many hours later for a lot of people. I can live without highs 4-5 hours after eating something. The 5 carb portion is also quite small. I threw my box of Dreamfields in the trash.

The only shiratake noodles in my area have tofu & I don't eat soy. The best ones I've tried are from www.miraclenoodles.com. Zero carbs, zero calories, all fiber. You can order a smaller quantity of Miracle Noodles from Amazon to see if you like them. They're not pasta & are similar to Asian cellophane noodles. They're slippery. I don't mind the texture, but my husband thinks they're horrible. Ok for Asian dishes & stir frying.

@Gerri - I am not a huge fan of tofu - adverse reaction to vegetarianism. LOL. Actually, one of my favorite preparations with tofu is a Sichuan dish called "Mapo Dofu" which is a insanely spiced stewed pork dish with tofu added at the end.

As for noodles, I don't really miss them all that much. I don't mind switching it up and eating what is important to me - the sauce and meat!

Jerusalem artichokes are one of my favorites. Serve it up pureed with a bit of goat cheese, and toasted pumpkin seeds. Ah, great! Now I’m hungry again!

I really like coconut flour because it's lighter than nut flours. I make coconut shrimp using grated coconut & coconut flour. One of my husband's favorites.

Yep, I cooked Dreamfields al dente according to the directions. Hope you have better success.

Shiratake noodles are rubbery. You have to rinse them & then dry them really well. I've heated them briefly them in a dry heavy skillet to get them dry, but it doesn't change the texture. One of those things that you'll either like or hate. The only type I've tried is angel hair. The thicker versions would be more rubbery.

I like jicama, but not often available where I live. How cool that you're growing Jerusalem artichokes!

Not a tofu fan either. I used to make a great dip using tofu, tahini, garlic, lime juice, scallions, fresh ginger & herbs. Tofu worked well there because it's a light base for dips.

The only thing I miss is good crusty bread. I've had dreams about bread. Be still my heart.

I love tofu! But then I eat it Japanese style -- in miso soup, or with soy sauce and bonito shavings. I like Mapo Dofu, too -- ate it in Sichuan, where it was VERY hot!! The Japanese have adopted that dish, but don't make it as hot as the Chinese do. They don't put pork in it, either.

For some odd reason, I find Asian cooking more palatable than European cooking. If you can avoid the rice, there are a lot of delicious vegetables which won't raise your BG, but that we never even see here. I guess you might find them in places like San Francisco's Chinatown, but certainly not here in Reno! I also like the way they use meat as a condiment -- you can't make miso soup taste good without fish broth! I once bought a Japanese country cookbook, and the American author decided to substitute beef broth for fish broth, thinking that Americans wouldn't tolerate fish broth -- I only made a few of his recipes, and they were AWFUL!

I like Well Done Chef's approach. Cooking spaghetti squash can be dangerous and should be done with proper technique. Don't be like me and think you can just put that puppy in the microwave and cook it. Here is a video of what can happen:

ps. Look at the little bits of spaghetti squash on that woman's back.

While the shirataki are a poor substitute for pasta, they do make a wicked stir fry and you can make a great pad thai with them. I have found that the tofu version works best for pasta substitutions. I have a variety of asian stores in my area and there many different kinds of shirataki, angel hair, fettuccine as well as varieties made with things like seaweed (those do smell like fish).

On the dreamfields, it is based on a "protected" starch, essentially treating the starch to make it resistant to digestion. People have various responses to the pasta, if you have gastro, the pasta could digest for hours overcoming any protection and being, well, just pasta.

I am fortunate, we have a large asian population and lots of stores. Hmart, Lotte, and Great Wall. In fact, there is even a sub genre in the stores, some being Korean focused and others being Chinese. But in either case, you are right, veggies are great.

ps. I love fish broth and often use fish sauce. Please don't tell my family.