Can T2s have any pasta at all

I’m wish I could have noodles of any kind. Suggestions I just want to make spaghetti for dinner please. Can I use whole weather noodles, egg noodles, any type will satisfy this crave. Please anyone

Spaghetti squash with sauce and meatballs

2 Likes

Ill take it. Thanks I’m going to have that for dinner tonight.
:wink:

1 Like

It’s awesome. We make it regularly.

What are “whole weather noodles”?

1 Like

My noodles are spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and nutritional yeast (dairy-free version of parmasan cheese) and recently I’ve also begun using zucchini noodles with the same sauce. I find the most important thing to eating low-carb (or any diet change) is to find replacements for the things that you miss.

Anyone can eat anything they want to eat. The question is whether you want to deal with the resulting high BG.

2 Likes

Carb counting, weighing portions, and assessing the effects on BG (pre-and post-meal) will help you figure out what you can eat. Buy a good quality kirchen scale (if you don’t already have one) and some small bowls for weighing portions (I use glass custard cups). FWIW, I do somwhat better with my husband’s gluten-free pasta than traditional or whole-wheat varieties and with fresh egg-pasta than any other kinds.

Google “zoodles” for recipes made with zucchini noodles. we have a couple recipes here too, in our recipes category

A lot of times when I want a little pasta, I use Barilla mezze rigatoni. each rigatoni is 1 gram of carb. I’ve never found the whole wheat noodles to be any different than the regular pasta (and besides, I don’t like it)

1 Like

You can also try Shirataki Noodles (or miracle noodles). Some people love 'em, some people hate them, but they’re pretty much all fiber, and not even a lot of that. They are also near zero calories if you eat a standard serving. You can get them at Walmart or most grocery stores (in bags, in the vegetable section or refrigerated). Or order them online.

3 Likes

I would say it depends on if you want to or are able to bolus for foods that require it. There are plenty of so-called T2’s here that do this very successfully … including for yummy noodles in any kind of weather :wink:

Another alternative is shirataki noodles. They have 2g of carb per good size serving and make an acceptable substitute - especially in soups.

2 Likes

I think it helps to cook shirataki noodles with the sauce so they take on a little flavor. I’m also a big fan of zoodles

2 Likes

I like the black bean spaghetti noodles - they are relatively low carb. You can get them at Costco or online.

For this diabetic, much depends on quantity. My system, augmented with exogenous insulin and its speed limitations, can handle 20-30g of carbs in a meal without spiking more than 140-150 for an hour (and then getting back down 120 or lower), IF I do all the pre-bolusing and other tricks right.

Most of the time I can get it right, if I pay attention.

That said, 1 cup of generic egg noodle pasta is about 40g. A cup of macaroni, spaghetti, etc., is (to me) a rather large portion.

I regularly will have a 1/2 cup of pasta as the carb portion of my dinner. When combined with fat and protein from other parts of the meal, I don’t get a bad glucose spike.

YMMV.

We’ve tried these but it seems like there are particular ways to prepare it otherwise it has a very fishy smell which we found unpleasant. How do folks make these palatable?

There are also chickpea and lentil pastas. Not super satisfying IMO but still decent if you’re desperate. Personally I’d prefer to eat a smaller portion of legit pasta.

I like the Explore Asian bean noodles, there are several kinds with low carb counts and high fiber content. Sadly my local costco stopped carrying them, but my local grocer does (just not the bix boxes).

I follow the instructions on the package - I rinse the noodles in cold water, microwave them for one minute and then re-rinse before using. This treatment radically reduces the funkiness.

I put them in a colander and rinse till the smell is completely gone