CGM Useage

I was looking for information tonight about the new Senseonics Eversense iCGMS. I found one interesting article in which the company goes on record as saying they think they’ll have better luck with reimbursement because people are almost guaranteed to use it, and that’s what payers really care about. But this post isn’t really about Senseonics. It’s about CGMS usage in general and this statistic imparticular:

"Senseonics VP and GM of the U.S. Region Mike Gill told BioWorld MedTech . ‘People don’t use their CGM all the time. We see in clinical studies, they use it about 80 percent of the time, and they have great results: lower HbA1c, lower hypoglycemia. But when they come out of those clinical studies, they actually drop to using it 60 percent of the time, and payers know that.’

‘Plus, they can see it in the claims data,’ he continued. ‘They know that someone’s not ordering sensors all the time.’"

I find this interesting. Everyone I know online and in real life with a CGM uses it very close to 24/7. The closest I come to a break is maybe a few hours in between sensors. That’s it.

When I used a Medtronic CGM I did not use it often because it wasn’t accurate. When I did use it my control was probably a little better but not from the sensor- from all the finger sticks I was doing to check how far off the sensor was.

I wonder if some of their usage data is skewed from people restarting sensors? I would think insurance companies would like that. Heck, I would think insurance companies would like people not reordering sensors for any reason.

So, is anyone here a part time CGMS user?

@blondy2061h if the Insurers are using re-supply values as a basis of usage, then the hypothesis is gravely flawed. How many of us, especially those of us with a Dexcom extend sensor life well beyond the 7 day prescribed limit. I for one go +25 days/sensor regularly. It keeps my cost down. My usage rate is 100% except for change/warm-up time. The insurer has no way to determine usage rate/patient except if the CGM is downloaded to a database that they then have access to.

Senseonics is using a flawed data point to try and upsell their product. Kudos for them sales/insurance coverage-wise, but bad for us as the general public is being fed once again incorrect stereotypes. I personally am very interested in the Senseonics CGM. I have seen it in real life, I like it, and would definitely try it. I also think Dexcom and Medtronics will try to hold them back with the insurers as much as possible so their own market share doesn’t become more diluted.

Just my 2 cents… (rant over)

I’m not sure what could explain this observation. Perhaps CGM usage fell post-study due to poor access attributed to a lack of insurance coverage.

This month marks nine years for me living with a CGM. I have used my CGM every day since I started. I could be an outlier, but based on many comments written by others, I don’t think so. I am aware, however, that my beliefs and practices regarding diabetes are not likely in the fat part of the bell curve.

The Senseonics implantable CGM device would be more interesting to me if I didn’t also have to wear a rather larger transmitter strapped to the outside of the sensor’s position all day, every day. I would also worry about scarring and infections, especially if I needed to endure this procedure every 90 days.

For the marginal improvement (decrease) in MARD % that Senseonics publishes, I’ll stick with my Dexcom sensor system.

2 Likes

I think people that visit diabetes forums in general are outliers when it comes to diabetes management.

Today I read reports from Tandem’s shareholders meeting at it said 29% of people with type 1 pump. Now I don’t know if that’s globally or in the US, but at least in the US, based on what you see on forums, it seems way higher.

I am like you not a part time user! I actually lost my receiver at work over night and was lost. I sat there thinking how did I do this years ago without the knowledge available at any moment. I had to set my alarm for 3am, just to stop my panic thinking. I did find 5e receiver the next day but I must say I was testing a lot more than I ever do when I have the CGM on.
And I also extend my g4 as long as I can but always reorder every 3 months. I figure you can never have too many. And I have yet to have any expire.
Not sure if I would go with an implantable one right away. I need to see how everyone likes it and what people’s arms look like after a few years. And of course will in interface with whatever pump I am using. But new technology is always good and we always need more choices, not less!

1 Like

I would think the Sensonic CGM would leave a scar almost like having surgery with a scope. I think one would have scar tissue in quite a few spots over time since it has to be removed every 90 days. I had shoulder surgery and have 5 arthroscopic scars on my shoulder. None of these were stitched they were just taped to hold them closed like I think the Sensonic uses. It will interesting to see how all the removals of the sensor heal over time and what type of mark they leave. I too use the Dexcom and wear it close to 4 weeks for each sensor. I have full insurance but feel it is a waste not to do so since it is so accurate for me even after all that time.

1 Like