CGMS.... I'm confused

Ok,
I postred this in the CGM forum but figured I would also post it here. I keep hearing about CGMS but I don’t understand it. What I do know is that that it continuously monitors your sugar levels (although testing is still needed) but what I don’t understand are the specifics. Can anyone with one of these give me a breakdown of

how it works
the process to use it
costs involved

or a website that explains everything. One reason I ask this is because I read somewhere that your doctor must put in the sensor. if that is the case, I would have to visit the doctor everytime I was to change it out. Someone please enlighten me.

- Chris

Hey Chris - I have a Dexcom that I use every few weeks and I’ve blogged about it (including pictures of the sensor and the device) here:

Dexcom Warrior.

Dexcom Warrior: Day Two.

Dexcom Warrior: Day Three

As far as insurance goes, most insurance companies seem to push back on covering these CGMS, but I know a few people who have achieved coverage. I know that Bernard is using a CGMS and gives details on his blog, as well as a few others. :slight_smile: Also, check out the websites of the individual companies, i.e. Dexcom, Minimed, etc. for more product details.

Good luck, and let me know if I can answer any questions. :slight_smile:

– Kerri.

Thanks, that helped a little. One question I was hoping you could answer for me. So what is the routine for a CGMS. do you use it all the time? If not, how often? Can you use it all the Time? These are the type of questions that puzzle me