Cinnamon and Diabetes

Manny---------I have tryed cinnamon. It made me feel better but I am not your normal type 2. I had diabetes at age five. It was treated with diet only—it worked so I did not have to take shots. Again had diabetes age 19 but pulled out then at age 52 I got cancer. I am a 10 year survivor but after chemo and radiation I had problems keeping my A1C in range. My endrocrinologist tryed to treat me but no matter what he tryed ----I went into hypoglycemia. I could not be treated with pills, injections-----nothing. I also am hypothyroid. Just resently my liver fuction tests were out of range--------so were my thyroid tests--------and my A1C (11.3). I changed Endrocrinologist. She put me on a new treatment that was a pill that was part Metform and a Steroid. I was so sick after taking this med I could not get out of bed. She then put me on Glyburide 2.5MG to be taken after supper. This also can cause hypoglycemia. I was told to not stop eating,do no change amount of exercise etc. -----keep everthing in my life style the some or it my cause hypoglycemia. The pill caused pain all over my body but did bring down my sugar from 285 to 102 on an adverage. I decided to try taking 1/2 a pill and found my sugars were just as good plus I feel so much better. I am presently on a Juice diet------------one glass of juice is all fresh veggies with two apples----------one is almost all fruit with fax seed ground. I feel wonderful while on it but fresh fruits and veggies this time of year cost to much. I will wait until my garden comes in this year to start again. I have learned over the years that veggies-----------even more than fruits will do the best for you. There is a vit sub that is just for support of the pancreas----it is all herbal---------Clinical Nutrients for Glucose Regulation and is sold at Clifton Springs Hosp. herbal pharmacy.
You may find that cinnamon will help. I did feel better taking the caps-------it is just that my system is hard to treat. I am told there is a small %of diabetics that are like me. Dr’s just don’t know what to do with us. I expect my next A1C to be down because I am feeling so much better. Good luck with the cinnamon. Janice

Interesting story. I noticed that the study was based upon the participants taking cinnamon capsules. As a note, the majority of “cinnamon” spice sold is actually cassia. I recently saw an episode of Good Eats that featured cinnamon. So, if this is a reality, we can’t expect to be able raid our spice rack, sprinkle our toast and get the same results.

I think a lot of the things you hear on or read in the news have more to do with T2 (insulin resistance), because they help the body utilize the insulin it’s already producing, reducing resistance.

I haven’t tried taking cinnamon, but I did try a year ago or so taking some sort of chromium supplement (OTC), because I heard that was another good one. Well, turns out I was allergic and broke out in hives within 2 days. However, I think even if I hadn’t been allergic, it’s promises would not really benefit me.

I already replied earlier on this discussion, but I tried taking some sort of chromium supplements (over the counter) which I heard were supposed to help diabetics (this was probably a year before they started talking about cinnamon), and I broke out in hives in two days. I haven’t tried cinnamon, and I’m not allergic to much. Maybe it has to do with the high concentration, or something else used in the supplement (even the shell).

Very interesting. I’m late chiming in on this, but I’m glad to have the info.

My mother (and my whole family, really) loves sweet tea. In the traditional southern style, that’s a lot of sugar. I’ve found that adding 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 stick of cinnamon to the water as the tea steeps significantly enhances the sweetness without adding sugar. It’s not perfect, and for true sweet tea you need at least a little sugar, but I can use 1/3 the amount now with no loss of flavor. Plus you can use the same cinnamon stick several times over. Works with ground cinnamon too, but you get muddy tea if you don’t put it in a steeping bag.

I love Good Eats. As long as you buy cinnamon sticks as opposed to ground, you’re getting true cinnamon. The second linked article in this post said they were using cassia, so perhaps both give the desired results.