Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

I noticed that there are a few members with psychology degrees. I wonder if they could speak about CBT or the “noticing my thoughts” that Sweetpotater mentioned on a previous post. I too have used this effectively to prevent clinical depression - at least when I am aware of the triggers and symptoms. I guess that even interacting on this site is one way of watching one’s thoughts.
I need to say that I’m not talking about the depression that goes along with the crazy blood sugars because I have never experienced a “hypo” event and I can’t possibly imagine how frightening that must be. I’m talking about the feelings of hopelessness that we experience when dealing with this disease. For example, tonight my sugars are too high ( feelings of failure) and my husband is in the hospital. Both events have tiggered symptoms for me.
Do any of you have any advice or book recommendations?
Thanks

I can completely relate about the high blood sugars and feelings of failure and hopelessness. I was on vacation the last four days and my blood sugar was continuously above 300 and just didn’t want to go down! Even now, sitting at home, it’s over 300 with no good reason. I’m normally well controlled and it’s the roller coaster days like this that make me insanely frustrated and sick of this horrendous disease. I wish I had some advice or book recommendations, but honestly, nothing has helped me. I even work as a nurse in a mental health hospital and work side-by-side with psychiatrists who have told me that once you get to a certain point, there really isn’t much that can be done. You need to pull yourself out. Drugs are the first line, you need drugs to get you out of the hole and to the point to where you feel like you are willing to get help, and then go from there. But my problem, is I haven’t even been able to find a drug that will pull me up from rock bottom. I wish you the best, I’m pretty sure I’m a lost cause!

I don’t have a psychology degree, actually I don’t have any degrees. However, I am a PWDx2 (Personw With Diabetes & Depression) and am very fortunate that I’ve had improvements with both. However, one of the experts in the field is Martin Seligman, my therapist acknowledged Dr. Seligman’s contributions in the CBT and we used the questionaires on his website as part of my therapy.

I normally don’t recommend books I haven’t read, however, if I were to read a book on this I would start out with his book “Authentic Happiness” Here’s a link to more info http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/Default.aspx

I seriously hate to contradict the professionals that you work with, but I’m going to do it anyway. You’re not a lost cause! I went to 4 or 5 therapists until I found one that helped; I had the good fortune to have my wife help me find them and remind me to look as needed. Since I don’t know who does that for you, I’m throwing in my 2 cents. The combination of drugs and CBT has received some attention and the studes that have been done on the combination are generally postiive.

I can’t say it’s all days of wine & roses however, the very low emotional lows are getting further and further apart.

Thanks jah.ini…I’m a reader :). Hope you are doing well now!

Courtney: I can’t imagine what it would be like to be diagnosed with diabetes at age 12. You have already done so much work to get to where you are! Congratulations. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 50 so most of my life has been diabetes free.
I was diagnosed with depression when I was about 12. It has been a lifelong battle but my last depressive episode that I couldn’t handle without treatment happened when I was 40. I’m pushing 60 now.
Believe it or not you can learn to catch it before you spiral down into clinical depression. As you learn, your family and friends learn too. My husband is really helpful now … he really gets it. He doesn’t really get the diabetes…and…well that’s another story… we’re working on it.
I agree that you need the meds combined with the talk once the depression becomes clinical… with support however, it really doesn’t have to run your life.
Hope you are doing better.