Coming back to a pump

Hello all, I’m Sonya. After about 5 years of MDI, I’ve decided I want to start pumping again. My previous experience was with an animas Ping, which I can’t go back to now in the US. Also, the last time I got approved for a pump, I was newly diagnosed with diabetes, had pretty severe hypo unawareness, and was pregnant with twins - everything was fast-tracked and I was pumping and on a cgm in a matter of a few weeks. I’m nervous about insurance and all those headaches this go-round. I guess I’m here looking for reassurances, tips, or anything that might be useful as I set out on this process.

And i know technology has changed a bit since my ping was the newest gadget, so I’m back to being a clueless newbie. I’ve been looking at options and right now, I think the minimed 530g is what I’m leaning toward.

So, hi everyone. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

@bardowlatry
Assuming you still have your Ping and it still functions, there is no reason you can not start back up with the Ping. Animas Support (even if answered by a Medtronic helpdesk) and Animas Pumping Supplies are guaranteed to be available through September of 2019. (I suspect supplies will be available for some time after that but that is only a guess based on the realities for how distributors, warehouses and inventory stock functions.) Get a feel for the pump again. Read about the choices currently available as well as look for what the manufactures have coming down the pipeline.

We also used the Animas Ping and I thought it really was a great pump. We still have it in the closet (AA battery removed) as a backup if ever needed.

Then make the choice that you feel will work best for you.

No rush.

2 Likes

I hadn’t even thought of doing that! I need to find the moving box with my ping now.

1 Like

Hi Sonya! Welcome! :slight_smile:

What type of insulins are you using on MDI? In another post, you mentioned that you were dealing with some bad lows and dawn phenomenon.

You could certainly switch to the pump to combat these, but there are options on MDI that can help as well. No need to discuss it if you’re securely set on the pump, but I thought I’d bring it up in case you wanted to explore the MDI options as well.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m currently using Tresiba and Humalog pens, and have been on Novolog and Lantus in the past. I made the switch to Tresiba a couple years ago after I started having trouble reigning in my fasting numbers on the Lantus. Now I’m having that same problem, coupled with a more intense exercise program that’s been a part of the lows. Being able to stop basal delivery for workouts is a big factor for wanting to make the switch.

But I’m glad to have suggestions for MDI as well, especially if it can help in the short term, and in case the pump doesn’t work out with insurance.

Tomorrow I’m having bloodwork done and will be able to see just how much of an impact the overnights have had on my a1c. I’m in better shape now than I was last fall, but I’m afraid my a1c is going to be higher…which may work out in my favor for insurance. We’ll see.

630 is the Medtronic replacement offer, 530 is the Revel right? I have a pretty new Ping and Revel, and plan to use the Ping up first. I was told supplies may just be sketchy after the 2019 date but for now, things are fine.
My HMO charges a lot for pens too, so no difference here…

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t even know. My ping went out of warranty a few years ago while I was on my extended pump vacation - I don’t think I’d qualify for a replacement. I was just looking at the options and confused/overwhelmed. Like, I don’t think I want the 630 or 670…I can’t tell if the 530 and Revel are the same or not. The Medtronic comparison pages don’t have them all together in one spot. I’m really hoping the CDE I’m meeting with this week is half as awesome as the one I worked with years ago, because I feel like such an idiot at the moment.

I also use Tresiba and Humalog. Though I only started using Tresiba recently. The capability of varying the basal rate is a huge asset of using a pump.

For the dawn phenomenon, it can help to take Tresiba 2x a day. I take 1/2 my daily dose in the morning and 1/2 in the late afternoon/early evening. 1 shot/day worked really well for me in the first month on Tresiba, but then my dawn phenomenon came back. I’ve found that Tresiba does have some peaks and valleys (despite the layering of multiple day’s doses), and these can be minimized by breaking up the daily dose into two injections at different times of the day. You could also try changing the timing of your once daily Tresiba dose to see if that helps with the dawn phenomenon.

Exercise can be a bit more complicated, and I’m still figuring out how to make this work. Different forms of exercise can create different effects. More intense, anaerobic exercise can spike blood sugar whereas aerobic exercise tends to lower blood sugar. You may have some success in alternating between both of these during your workouts. I’m not sure what forms of exercise you’re doing or if there’s any flexibility there. If weight loss isn’t the primary concern, then having carbs before an aerobic workout (and/or during) may help prevent the lows.

@Eric2 knows a ton about this stuff and could probably be of some help if you want to reach out to him.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I switched from mornings to doing the tresiba at night only, but I’ll see what breaking it into two does for the morning numbers. It would be great if that could help my fasting numbers!

The exercise is the biggest unknown for me these days - I’ve been doing Crossfit for 6 months now, and it’s a much different kind of exercise than I’ve ever done in the past (group fitness/dancey stuff, yoga, jogging). I really enjoy these workouts, but the combination of movements and aerobic/anaerobic stuff just makes everything trickier.