Considering getting the Omnipod for my 11 yr old... hints to make the transition easier?

Oh, I hadn’t even thought about it ripping off the adhesive. I did read comments about people putting super glue on it now that you say that. We will take the practice pod off tonight after soccer and I’ll look at how it’s attached. It survived swimming yesterday and lots of running around… even rolling down a hill. I thought it would be akward, but she said she doesn’t really notice that it’s on. Having them rip off at $30 a pod would be a bit frustrating, do they replace those if they haven’t made it 3 days?

LOVE the videos you posted ! My daughters were so impressed by 1) how brave and articulate Caleb is and 2) by how adorable he is. There should be a video like yours that comes with the pod that shows an actual kid changing it. Thanks so much for posting these:-)

Good question. I haven’t asked. The two that ripped completely off had just made it to the end of day 2, and were ripped off by 1.sister wrestling with him, and kicking it off, and 2.running into a chair. I didn’t think either one was really the omnipod’s fault. Our doctor has our prescription written for every 2 days, so I just changed it then. The others have only slightly ripped off, and I’ve wrapped them with a coban wrap to make them at least last until the end of day 2. I’ll see how today goes - I haven’t heard from the school yet! The funny thing is that it’s not soccer or swimming, or even football at recess that seems to be the problem - it’s just every day running into things since he’s growing and has a little brother and sister.

My son still loves it and wouldn’t go back for anything though, and I can’t imagine - if he’s ripping pods off, that tubing would be any better. I’m sure he would get it caught on things and rip those out too. I’m hoping that with the new smaller pods, it won’t be such a big deal - hopefully they won’t stick out as far, and might be not as heavy?

I wonder if my daughter’s pod is the smaller one, or are they developing a new one that hasn’t been released yet? It didn’t seem too bad; she said it was pretty light and that she forgets that it’s on. I would think having one ripped out would hurt like heck!

They haven’t come out with the smaller one yet. My son thinks it’s light and it doesn’t bother him either (once I asked him to show someone his new pod and he lifted up the wrong sleeve - so he obviously can forget about it!) - I just hope that the smaller one might help with the ripping problem. It actually doesn’t hurt him at all - the ones that came all the way out ripped off the adhesive - so it didn’t hurt him, and the plastic cannula doesn’t hurt coming out according to him. If the adhesive were ripped from your skin on the other hand - I’m sure that would be awful.

So glad they were helpful! Thanks for the feedback! We’re here for any questions you ever have. If we can answer them, we will!

After reading the comments I wanted to add that when you have a bent canula you know it (or your child will) because suddenly you know its there. Its not a bad pain, just uncomfortable. Mine bent after I gave my son a piggy back ride, he must have kicked it or something, but a bit later (it was only my first pod, day 2) i knew there was something wrong. Sure enough when I took it off (no pain at all, I was suprised) you could see the bend.

After doing shots for my first year, I feel stupid for not moving to a pump sooner. The control and freedom is just unbelievable. I can’t imagine if it were one of my kids, but if it was, I wouldn’t even think twice about it. Congrats to you parents who take time to make life eaiser on them.

That’s interesting. I will have to note that for when Caleb says it’s bothering him. He occasionally says that, but it typically goes away. However, this morning, we had one of the rare occasions of a bent cannula and he had absolutely no awareness of it. The Pod errored while delivering a bolus. I took it off and it was VERY bent.

I will watch for those! Can’t wait to go to pump class in a couple of weeks and say goodbye to shots:-)