Constant bitter taste in mouth and "raw" feeling tongue?

Was diagnosed with T2 6 months ago. On metformin (1000mg/twice daily, lisinopril, simvastatin and clopidogrel. About 2 months ago I began getting a bitter taste in my mouth. This has escalated to the point that it is a constant, very bitter taste, even with water . My tongue and inside mouth feel “raw”. Is this a recognized side effect of diabetes or maybe medication? I have googled the medication but can’t find anything definitive. Talked to Dr and he doesn’t have a clue - said it probably would go away after awhile. Or is this something that falls under “YMDV”? Anyone have experience with this and what can be done to help? Can hardly bring myself to eat anything now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, still not up on abbreviations - should be “YDMV” isn’t that Your Diabetes May Vary?

1 Like

Well, PWDs learn to never say “never”, but that disclaimer being issued, those symptoms do not sound like any diabetic effect I have encountered either personally or by hearsay. I’d bet on one of the meds, or an interaction between them.

Did a quick at NIH:
oral burning
a burning sensation inside the mouth caused by uncontrolled blood glucose levels
burning feeling in the mouth
dry mouth
bitter taste
symptoms may worsen throughout the day
seeing your doctor, who may change your diabetes medicine
once your blood glucose is under control, the oral burning will go away
Hope this helps. Nancy

I bet it is metformin:
More common:
Acid or sour stomach
belching
bloated
excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
full feeling
heartburn
indigestion
loss of appetite
metallic taste in the mouth
passing of gas
stomachache
stomach upset or pain
vomiting
weight loss
Less common:
Abnormal stools
bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
change in taste
difficulty with moving
discoloration of the fingernails or toenails
flu-like symptoms
joint pain
rash
runny nose
sneezing
stuffy nose
swollen joints

Nancy

Thanks everyone, this is more info than I found while browsing.

Hi dderm0, I’m so glad that I’ve found someone else with the exact same problem as me! Sore tongue,dry metalic taste in mouth,Have you fixed the problem yet? Is it uncontrolled Diabetes or Metformin?

For me that is always a symptom of hyperglycemia. It was one of the few evidences of hyperglycemia we had before home glucometers became available in the mid-1980s, along with polyuria and polydipsia.

Wow! That’s mighty interesting. About the only symptom I have of a hypo these days is a very faint odd taste in my mouth. Not necessarily bitter. More like a slight tingling sometimes of the roof of the mouth, sometimes the tongue or cheeks. But just odd feeling, different than normal. But for me, I never get these symptoms with a high. Only a low. As a type 1, I’m on insulin, of course.