Curious: what do you all use as your high alert setting and low alert setting?

Hi all, just curious: What number do you use for your high alert and low alert settings? When I first got the Dex I set it much higher than I have now, as I get my A1C down and dial things in. Just curious how agressive (especially with the high alert number) you all are? Also, do you use the rise and fall rate options? I was recommended not to use those in the beginning and to keep it simple, but wonder if I’m now missing out since I have those disabled? Thanks for any advice/info :slight_smile:

I have my alarms set at 70 and 120. I also use the rise & fall rates. I have both of those set for 2 mg. I prefer to get as much notice as possible and like to take advantage of all the alarms that I can.

It changes, all the time, without too much good explanation. I was usually using 80-140, since those seemed to be good indicators that I might need food/insulin. Ideally I like to use 100-120, but it can get annoying to have alarms that often (though it does work!)

When I’m active on long bike rides, I usually set it to 100-160.

Thanks Kelly. So with the rise and fall rates, how do you respond when you get an alert of a rise? I mean, if you correct, how do you judge how much, and b/c the insulin takes a while to kick in, how does that pan out? If only we had an insulin that just kicked in as our arrows were pointing towards the sky, I feel this would be much less stressful :slight_smile:

my low is 80 and my high is 200 i try to stay in the middle of that generally though the closer to 80 the better

Thanks Andy. Right now I’m set at 60 and 160, and am really happy when I can stay in between those lines. I was just thinking before I posed this question that as my control becomes better should I lower that high setting, and would I be better off if say I set it at 140 or 120, and corrected based on that----would I inevitably never go as high as I can sometimes with a spike, based on the fact that I’m starting to correct earlier? Do you find that to be true? thx again!

70 and 120. No rise/fall alarms.

For me 80 low, 180 high. No rise/fall rate alarm

I try to look at the big picture before taking more insulin. I have had 2 straight up arrows that go up for 5 minutes & stop just as suddenly as they started. If I know i don’t have much IIOB, then I will take a correction. If not, I just watch closely to see if it slows down.

70 and 120.
I only use the double rise and double down alarms (not the single up/down-ers).

80 to 120, no rise/fall alarms

oh, and my actual target is 70 to 130. While I like to stay “within” the lines, I don’t worry too much if I stray. I use the lines to tell me if I am going too far out so that I can correct my numbers and hit my actual target.

Gina,

I’ve been using the Dexcom for almost 2 years now. I have my low at 70 and my high at 140. I do use my alarms. To me, that’s the best use of the CGM to let you know when you’re rising or falling. I usually look at the Dexcom fairly often, but sometimes you can get busy and not be noticing the changes. Also, the alarms wake me in the middle of the night if I’m going low (I don’t usually go high at night).

Linda

I have my low set at 90 and a single arrow down alert due to hypoglycemic unawareness. I have my high set at 200 (originally I had it set at 260) and a double up arrow alert. I am paranoid about hypoglycemia, so I have those alerts set tighter.

For me the alarms are there to alert me before Ive gone too far outside the range I want. 140 isnt very high, but if I’m climbing and don’t realize it, then the alarm going off is a good reminder and I can start treating before it gets too high. Before Dexcom, I’d often feel high, test and realize I’ve been over 200 for some time, and have to wait 1-2 hours as insulin kicked in before I’d be back in range. Now I can attack highs before they happen, so that the peaks are lower and I start coming down much sooner. My pre-pump a1cs were ususally ~7.5, then went to 6.5 with the pump, and now 5.5 on Dexcom.

80 and 180.
I use the high and low rate options to know when its rapidly rising or falling especially at night (vibrate and beep). During the day I only let it vibrate.

70-120 during the day, 70-140 for sleeping. I use the single arrow alerts. I want to have as much warning as possible when things are changing so I can watch more closely.

70 and 160 with single arrows. when I am going to be driving for more than 15 minutes, I change the low alarm to 80. When I am paying attention, I don’t get more than one or two alarms in a week.