Where do you have your alarms set on your CGM?

I got my cgm last week and I left the alarms where they were. I just got a call from the Navigator rep, because she was going to come by and show me how to use it. She said that they recommend I keep the low blood sugar alarm at 80. That would always be going off for me unless I raised how high I keep my blood sugars.

Where do you keep your alarms on your CGM and why, if applicable?

120/70 during the day. 120/55 at night.

100 and 150. I used to have them at 60 and 90, and managed to maintain A1Cs at 5.5 or below (I was all the way down to 4.6), but had way too many ambulance visits and trips to the ER because of hypoglycemia, and my diabetes nurse convinced me to set them where they now are. My A1Cs are still below 5.5.

Low 60
Hi 140

At 60, I still have enough time to treat it before it gets out of hand.
And I typically run a little higher than what the Dex tells me I am, so if it says 60, I’m more likely at 74.

At 140 because I’m trying to reign in my glucose numbers. The more I hear the Hi alarm vibrating, the more I want to make sure my postprandials (etc) are staying under 150. I’m actually preparing my body for when I want to have kids. They say BG canNOT go over 150 during that time, so… practicing. (Nooooo… not planning any time soon… just in case is all)

I seem to be mostley out of step here, I use 90 and 250.

The 90 drives me insane, I wish I could drop it to 80. But my avg maintained is 120 and the endo seems stuck on 90. My BG awings so high and so low in such rapid fire, that if I reduced the high number i coul dnto get a darn thing done. And like another commentator i seem to visit the ER way to much as it is.

rick phillips

I set my navi for 60 and 240. Probably too low and too high. But I hate alarms. A lot. :slight_smile: So I don’t really use the alarms unless it’s “bad” (that’s why I keep them set as low as possible on the low end, and pretty high on the high end). I use the navi to show me where I’m at, but for me I want my body to tell me how I’m feeling (and use the Navi as verification) if I’m particularly low or high, or that I’m trending that way.
I use it to see what certain foods do to me (how quickly or slowly they hit my system, etc). When I’m exercising I have it vibrate a lot telling me about projected low glucose, and I’m able to correct and continue running/riding/whatever. But I think it’s annoying when I’m low or high to have a box constantly beeping at me–I’m correcting already! I know! :slight_smile:

I have a Medtronic and I have it set at 105(low) and 185(high) because when my CGM read 105 my BG is about 80 and at 185 it’s about 160.

Bradford

I’ve thought about that. Wondered if in the long term ,I’ll get used to my CGM telling me what my BG is and then develop Hypo Unawareness?

I still rely on my own feelings too. Especially since sometimes the CGM is way off. Use it for “trending” only.

Yeah I tried using it as “the Bible” before, and it only drove me crazy when the calibration was off, etc. So I moved the alarms pretty far “out” and now use it for trending information (regardless of how accurately or inaccurately it may be calibrated).
I’m not saying that’s the “best approach”, but it works for me :slight_smile: Technology is great, but is still prone to human error. So I try to go on “gut” feeling too rather than only on what the box is telling me.

Manually. It is a pain. I also switch the 120 alarm from ‘Vibrate’ to ‘Vibe then Beep’.

I move my alarm settings several times each day depending on whether I expect a fall or rise. For example after eating I set the high at 140 which is the lowest for high alarm, I wish it could even go lower because with lag time between blood and interstitial readings you can get quit high Bg before the CM gets to 140. Then once I’ve done my correction for high Bg I turn off the high alarm, so I don’t have to listen to it continually going off, then I move the low alarm up say to 120 or 130 so as my Bg falls from my correction I can catch the drop early enough to stop any hypo.

Another thing I do is have different sounds for each. I have the low on “high beep” and high on “vibrate” that way I can tell just from which sound which way I’m going without having to take it out of my belt pouch, just have to push the buttons. (I use a soft pouch). Also I set the system alarms on low beep to differentiate between a low glucose and any of the other types of alarms.

Sometimes the alarms can get annoying, I have been known to yell at the thing “I know quit bothering me!”

For the 11 weeks I had a working Navigator, I had the alarms set at 70 & 140. Like the other person said, I wished the Navigator alarms could be set lower. I just finished a Dex trial and like their alarms better - I had those set for 70 & 120.

I use MM CGMS

low is 80 so I can catch it ahead of time

high is 145 just so after 145 I know to keep an eye on it.

I am happy to have set MM ( vibrate ) alarm low : 4.6 ( x18 ) your REP 's thinking similar …high 8.5 ( x 18 ) . I am having far fewer lows these days …yet even those lows in the past never got me to ER …blessed I am .

I alarm at 70 and 160. I might lower the top to 150 as I almost never go over 150 and if I do I almost always go over 160 at the same time.

70 and 140 for me last A1C 6.0

John,

I am a T1 for 36 years. If I wanted I could stay almost always below 120. I do stupid things and I know it. Earlier this week I treated a low by eating ice cream out of a container without counting anything. This shot my BG up to 200 in no time.

My last month’s stats are:

66% of the time <= 100 mg/dl
90% of the time <= 120 mg/dl
97% of the time <= 140 mg/dl

Before I had the DexCom my A1C was 5.8%. Most likely my BG was above 120 mg/dl for 50% of the time.

70 and 180; anywhere in between there and I feel good

a1c’s for the last couple years have been in the high 5’s