Day light savings?

I just change my clocks and go to bead. The next morning I just get up and deal with my BG like any other day...some days are just perfect a others...well...not so...perfect...

Interesting video... I think I would just rather not have it at all anymore although I do like more light in the summer at night... but when I teach at night it is easier for me to transition.. but it still messes my brain & my whole metabolism etc. up.

that is what I'm doing- 1/2 hour changes and it seems to be fine so far...

I agree.. except for the xtra light which I like... so far I'm ok, not major bg difference I think...

you're welcome :)

true- it is easier to adjust with a pump I think...

true there are always those days... I have to make sure I check my bg as soon as I wake up even if I plan to sleep more since I tend to drift up around that time.. but I often wake up earlier than I want to...

Yeah, same here, John. I never quite got what all the fuss was about the time change. I just go into the new time and don't stress over it, D or otherwise. I'm the same with time changes from travel. Though I've never done huge distances. But I just start the new time right away and never notice a transition.

Iā€™m with John and Zoe on this one. IMO basals are not an exact enough science to fret over a one hour change.

I HATE time changes. Nothing to do with diabetes -- that aspect doesn't disturb me in the least. I just hate changing twice a year. From where I sit, it accomplishes nothing but a massive inconvenience. Since our company does business (and talks to customers) in all 24 time zones, I have to stop and remember what the DATE is before I can calculate how many hours apart we are. That's just one example.

I wish they would just pick one -- I don't care which! -- and LEAVE IT ALONE.

End of rant.

I agree, DNS. Even though it doesn't affect me particularly, the whole thing is ridiculous and they don't do it in many other countries. You should have seen me trying to explain it to my Spanish teacher when I lived in Guatemala. I further made the mistake of trying to explain "spring forward and fall back" which of course doesn't translate. Everyone stared at me as I stood in the middle of the room and hopped back and forth. Just exaggerated the absurdity of the whole thing that is already pretty silly. We are no longer a nation of farmers.

i change my clocks-pump-etc.. at midnight & never had any problems. just test more often to be sure you're ok.

I agree, I just want them to get rid of it.. it messes me up big time.. I would vote for them to have more light in the summer... so far my bg is ok though... except for going hypo in the middle of making dinner... not sure if that had anything to do with dls or with the fact that I was overly active while teaching.

so far so good for me too shoshana...

Hi Meee, here's my update. I tried to make the change of times gradually but still spent too much time on a rollercoaster. Today I finally seem to be on Daylight Savings Time with my BGs back to normal. Maybe the sensitivity to changes in time goes with being sensitive to insulin, but anyhow I'd now like to be rewarded with spring (and summer) weather...

Hi Trudy,

That's good you're back to normal now... I don't seem to have had a roller coaster so far, knock on wood... just some of my normal swings with nothing too major yet... and hoping it stays that way... I am still waking up in the teens a lot(better than waking up higher) which I need to remedy though.. I'm hoping for good weather too, we had a nice day today but it's back to 39 degrees now and my walk was chilly... :)

You are waking up in the teens?? That is dangerously low, meee and in the short term it is a lot more risky than being high. I strongly recommend you reduce your basal dose!

oh no! Zoe, sorry I said that the wrong way.. I meant I'm waking up in the 117 range or so.. no fortunately I have never been in the teens as far as I know... my lowest recorded reading was 29 in August... I actually think now I may need a higher basal dose, not sure... but I still go quite low and high at times due to various things... usually insulin error/exercise etc. The highs I have no idea what causes them.. probably metabolic as it's usually not after eating... I am just going to start symlin and I'm still worried about possible lows and not reacting to sugar but my endo said that shouldn't happen, I should still react to sugar if I go too low..

Oh, whew; glad to hear it! I'm not sure what you mean by "not reacting to sugar". Do you mean you're worried that your treatment for lows won't work? I strongly recommend using glucose tablets, they are a lot faster acting than "sweets" and you can figure out exactly how many you need to raise a low. Symlin is complicated and it helps some people with spikes and being able to use less insulin. Some people use it for weight loss and that is less reliable. For me, it did nothing at all, but others have good results.

lol.. didn't mean to scare anyone.. believe me if I was in the teens I would most likely be calling an ambulance...if I wasn't going higher anyway...

yeah.. I read somewhere that it can stop you from being able to absorb sugar/food as rapidly as usual since it slows the digestion. So if you have a bad low you may not respond quickly to sugar.. I usually use sweet tarts and hard candy which works well for me, but if it's a bad one I also use glucose tabs, really bad ones I use oj as this is the fastest for me, almost instantaneous raising of my bg.

How did you time your symlin and insulin dosing? I wait 20 minutes to eat after my novolog and it says to eat directly after symlin- I'm not sure what to do.. I plan to start with 15mcg and a 50% insulin reduction.. I hope this is not too much reduction.. I can't remember what my endo said to do now & I've lost the paper I wrote it down on.. maybe I should wait till tomorrow till I get more answers for my question and I can call the covering doctor.