Dexcom accuracy

Thanks artwomani remember you saying that a while back. That was not the case here and it’s the second time.

Hey Terry, I am thinking of going back to pump therapy with Loop. Ive been using Tresiba and Humalog MDI, which has been not bad for about 2 years. But, I would like to know some of the things you like about Loop. BTW, I am a low carber, following Dr Bernstein mostly for diet but I have heard positive experiences. Could you share some experiences and things like swimming or exercise? What about traveling (flying) with everything.

Finally, how do you charge everything and how long does it all last. When you wake up on the weekends, do you somehow pin the Riley Link to your pants???

Jacob - I moved my answer to a separate thread, Loop questions.

I like my Dexcom G4 and find it to be overall quite accurate and very good at showing trends.

One thing that happens to me, and which I’d be curious if anyone else has had this experience, is when my Dexcom is off, its inaccuracies often seem to follow a pattern based on time of day.

For example, when my blood sugar goes up a lot after breakfast, my dexcom often shows readings well under what my contour next does. That is, it seems to lag and never really show the full extent of my post-breakfast blood sugar spike. In the evening, when I do a fingerstick before going to bed, my dexcom reading is frequently a fair bit higher than my fingerstick reading – as if the dexcom doesn’t quite capture how much my blood sugar has come down in the hours since an after-dinner spike.

I suppose both these patterns could be described as the dexcom lagging a bit behind the changes that are taking place, but, the lagging can be reflected hours after my blood sugar has risen or fallen, not just 15 minutes or so.

I would not say this pattern is hugely significant, but I’m curious if anyone else has found that when their dexcom is inaccurate it follows any kind of pattern related to time of day.

Hi Richard
Have read your replies for a while now and respect your opinions and style. I have a question for you.
My pump just ended it’s warranty period, I’d like to know why you chose Dexcom over others.
I’m in no hurry to upgrade my pump - it’s worked fine for many years, and frankly I don’t want to learn a lot of new software options that just take the management control away from me (I may be talking about another brand that’s mine). Thanks

I’m not Richard but I just wanted to chime in that the G5 is ridiculously accurate, day and night. It’s so accurate that now I feel peeved when I have to check my blood sugar to do a calibration from time to time. This coming from a guy who used to check his blood sugar 15 to 17 times per day and sometimes as much as 20 to 25 times a day.

*CH_BOS, I started using a Medtronic pump in 2007, and the endo who approved of my using a pump would not accept my using any other pump. Her CDE trainer did not know how to train anyone on any other pump.
I got used to the M522, and five years later started the M523. Now I am using the M630. I saw no reason to change to another brand. If I had started with Tandem or the Omnipod, I would probably still be using that one, too. They are all good pumps.

Oh sorry then. I thought differently. I’m using M553 but considering switching.

I meant to say M523

Thanks Donald. Accurate? Are you testing it against
A lab test? I’m just wondering why an every day diabetic would say their pump is accurate…

I’m confused. Dexcom is a CGM. What are we talking about?

Apologize- have pumps on my brain. Same question. What are you basing this accuracy claim on? :blush:

Same thing happens with me Hammer. My Deacom says my BG is dropping at 80 and I take my blood sugar on my meter and it reads 105!
Tonight before dinner my CGM said I was 98 and my meter said I was 165! Now that’s a LARGE difference.

I can’t download Clarity on my computer cause a sign pops up saying it can’t find my receiver. Have gone round and round with the tech support on this. My endocrinologist said to tell them I need a new receiver!

Dave my CGM HAS NEVER been that accurate! I think I need to get a new receiver. When my CGM says I’m at 80 my meter says it’s 65!
Tonight my CGM said I’m 98 and my meter said I was 165! That’s quite a difference.

@Jane22
Dexcom Receiver would not impact accuracy.

1 Like

Tim I need to change my sensor!

@Jane22
Now that could impact accuracy !!!
:smile:

1 Like

If you are speaking to me I am basing my comment about accuracy on my personal experience, on my wife’s experience, and countless postings on numerous diabetes forums about the accuracy of Dexcom. That includes an Untold number of positive comments about Dexcom accuracy over the course of many of their models. It’s hard to argue with this much success… Remember what president Trump said? You’re going to get tired of winning. LOL

Calibrating when your blood sugar is moving too quickly is a surefire ticket to inaccurate Dexcom readings.

1 Like

I discovered this too! There is about a 15 minute ‘lag’ for me as well. I find that the CGM arrow is the most useful feature because I know if I need to treat a high with an additional bolus or just be patient and wait for it to come down. If it is still high and the CGM and meter are in agreement, then I can safely give an extra bolus. That lag is an important consideration - it is definitely not a ‘real time’ measurement. This is why I would not depend solely on the CGM for dosing. During the night I love that it will give me a ‘path’ so I can see what is going on with my blood glucose. With the CGM I have identified patterns where I need to adjust the timing of my pump’s basal rates (I have 4 different daytime rates) during the day but discovered I can keep it a constant low basal rate overnight. I still check glucose levels over night but now I can just light the CGM, look at the rate and the arrow and go back to sleep. If it is higher or lower than I like, then I will do a glucose reading but overnight, the CGM is great. I just have to allow for the lag if my bg is going up or down.

4 Likes