Dexcom DM3 Software

I have two questions for DM3 software users.

1. Does anyone have any sample graphs/data for a non-diabetic person? I’ve asked Dexcom for this information but the reply is that this is not available. I am a tightly controlled type 1 and trying to benchmark myself against what someone with a normal pancreas would produce for BG numbers.
  2. Each time I’ve purchased a new transmitter I need to set up a new user in DM3. For this reason I can’t combine the data into one continuum and need to switch back and forth to get data comparisons. I contacted Dexcom and they said they are aware of the problem and hope that one of the next versions will include a fix. Has anyone found a work-around to somehow combine the data (i.e by exporting and importing files)?

Mike, I can’t help with number 1. I’ve also requested the feature to combine users. I’ve had a Dexcom for over 2-1/2 years and right now I have five mini-Me’s in the Dexcom software. It’s really annoying.

You can export the files, but there’s no way to import them that I know of.

Bernard: Thanks for your reply. I’m up to 3 mini-Me’s and hope that one day I’ll be able to combine them if DM4 or DM5 has this feature. As to #2, it seems like it would be helpful for CGM users to see how a graph would look for someone with a normal pancreas. Overall the 7+ is a fabulous product and management tool imho. Mike.

I think you’re striving for a hard goal. Even if Dexcom had one, they probably wouldn’t want to give it to you for fear of what might happen! Maybe someone like Dr. Wolpert at Joslin would have a graph like that, he does a lot with CGM’s.

Check out http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=47169

You are right, there’s no way I could duplicate a normal person’s graph (unless they invent super fast acting insulin) but I’m just curious to see the rate of change and patterns of a normal person. As you suggest, Dexcom must have such data but is unwilling to let it get into the wrong hands (i.e. a type A, type 1 fanatic like me…). If I do find anything useful I will post it up in case it is of interest to others. Thanks again.

Interesting post - thanks for passing this along. Although there’s no graph or data provided, I was very surprised to hear that someone without diabetes would get close to 200 - that seems incongrous to me…

This is what Dr. Bernstein has to say about this topic:

“The nondiabetic ordinarily maintains blood sugar immaculately within a narrow range—usually between 80 and 100 mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter),* with most people hovering near 85 mg/dl. There are times when that range can briefly stretch up or down—as high as 160 mg/dl and as low as 65—but generally, for the nondiabetic, such swings are rare.”

Thank you for this information. This makes sense as an average of 85 would equate to an A1c of 4.5 and this is consistent with the stated range for “non-diabetic” in the A1c blood test as 4.3-5.9. I imagine that even if a non-diabetic person hit 160 after a very high carb meal, the number would reduce back down to 85 in a steep curve. This contrasts to a much wider, slower curve that seems to be the case when a diabetic is using insulin to obtain the reduction.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/book/chapter1_3.shtml

“This rapid release of stored insulin is called phase I insulin response. It quickly corrects the initial blood sugar increase and can prevent further increase from the ingested carbohydrate. As the pancreas runs out of stored insulin, it manufactures more, but it has to do so from scratch.”

"Normal phase I insulin is almost instantly in the bloodstream. Rapidly it begins to hustle blood sugar off to where it’s needed. Injected insulin, on the other hand, is injected either into fat or muscle (not into a vein) and absorbed slowly. "

The fact that phase 1 insulin in a non-diabetic is released directly into the bloodstream, as opposed to be being more slowly absorbed via fat or muscle from injected insulin in a diabetic,explains the more rapid return to a normal BG for a non-diabetic. This makes sense but I’d still be interested to observe the real rate of change difference by seeing side-by-side CGM graphs. I’m hoping to unearth some non-diabetic CGM data to post for others who might also be interested.

Hi !

Would some be able to provide me with two export files from DM3 (one xml and one text). I am developer of open- source application called GGC (GNU Gluco Control), and I am trying to add devices to it. I have just started sub project CGMS Tool, which should be able toimport data from CGMS, but since most companies are secretive about their communication protocol, we are trying to add import of data through export files, that come from original software. I have contacted Dexcom to receive such data, but no answer so far…

Thank you for all help in advance.
Andy

Andy

I can’t do this from work, I’ll try to remember this evening.

My experience is that ALL the diabetes device makers are overly secretive about their data formats. I have no idea what purpose this serves. In general their software is ugly, informative and hard to use. I would love to see some open source software that handles all formats.

I’d started to post formats for some devices here. I need to add the Dexcom and WaveSense information to this page.

Andy, I loaded up sample files from the Dexcom DM3 software, you can find them on the Diabetes Data Dexcom Seven Plus page. I hope this helps.

Thanks Bernard this will help. Do you want to put any other data files there too? I have some, that I can share.

Take care,
Andy

I’m happy to do that, send me what you’ve got. I’ve other files I’ve been meaning to load up there, so your note the other day was a good reminder.

I can get some data. I am also interested in seeing the plot. I think I can persuade a non-diabetic pal to wear a sensor for a couple days.