Dexcom G5, trouble with ? after shower

I’ve found the Dexcom sensor/transmitter connection to normally work without any error. Maybe once or twice per year I’ll need to take the sensor off it’s sensor mount and dry things out.

A shower might also loosen the sensor bandage and let the sensor move under your skin. This could cause some errors as well.

Trying to make sure I didn’t make a beginner’s mistake on how I put it on, or if covering in the shower was necessary.

Thanks Terry!

I got the ??? and about 45 minutes later I got the loud alert telling me the sensor had failed and needed to be replaced. One day of use for my first sensor.

1 Like

The transmitter is waterproof (to a particular depth obviously) as it is hermetically sealed.

I have no idea what Dexcom says as to the “connection” between the transmitter and the sensor but clearly that gets shower “stuff” (water, soap, whatever) in there.

When we get the ??? after a shower (sometimes - not always) we take the transmitter off (carefully so as to not dislodge the sensor) use an alcohol wipe on the contacts (both transmitter and sensor side) then let it air dry for a minute or two then put the transmitter back on.

1 Like

Thanks so much Tim! I kind of suspected, after the fact, that this was my best course of action, but at that point I didn’t even know how to remove the transmitter.

Live and learn I guess :wink:

1 Like

I often have accuracy issues after a shower. I try to time it so I am due for a calibration 30-60 minutes after my shower.

1 Like

You don’t have to “wait” for the time to calibrate. You can add a calibration whenever you like.

2 Likes

I know. I try to stay at 2 calibrations a day and for me it is very convenient to do one after my morning shower and on at bedtime.

Support First Responders

But why “stay at 2” ?

If we see a “good time” to calibrate, we take the opportunity, do the calibration and put it in.

Best time to calibrate is straight and level at your target number. Not the ONLY one but that would be ideal. We specifically do our best NOT to calibrate fast up or down (double arrow) or very low or very high.

If the 12 hrs are up and it asks for a calibration but we happen to be at 220 double arrow going up - the calibration just has to wait. No point in entering something which I know is going to cause problems. Morning before breakfast and evening before dinner are often times great calibration times due to a lack of recent food or bolus. Not always but often.

1 Like

Hi, Please I need advice!! I am suppose to start using the Dexcom G5 as early as next week. My problem is: I take 45 minute very hot showers and I will not compromise on that at all. So please tell me will this product stand up to my routine or should I not even start it? Are they ways around it say like removing the sensor before going into the shower? Or is that not an option? Please I would really appreciate any input from the people that actually use it. I really don’t believe that people that are selling it. Thank you so much.

I’ve used the Dexcom sensor/transmitter while swimming and also in the hot tub. It’s not typical to have troubles like those reported by the original poster but it can happen. I really love what the Dexcom CGM adds to my life. If I were you. I’d give it a try and see what happens.

With a daily 45-minute hot shower, you’ll need to take extra precautions getting the sensor to stay stuck to you. There are many adhesive tactics used by CGM users. I like to add Skin-Tac. I also take extra care to wash the prospective site with soap, hot water, and a wash rag and thoroughly dry before applying. Others use products like Tegaderm and Griff-Grip. One thing I would avoid is the shower spray aimed directly at the sensor site as it could start to encourage the sensor bandage to peel away from your skin.

This topic has been extensively covered by this community. Just click on the magnify glass icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen and insert the search term, “Dexcom adhesive.” I got 50 hits when doing this.

In summary, I think you have a high likelihood of success of getting the Dexcom CGM to stay attached to you but you will need to employ extra measures. Good luck!

1 Like

A mistake I’ve occasionally made is not getting the transmitter fully seated in the sensor mount. In other words, I only had one of the two release tabs holding the transmitter in place. It’s a wonder it worked at all. Make sure you always hear two distinct clicks when attaching the transmitter. You can also visually confirm that both release tabs are holding down opposing sides of the transmitter. A hand mirror and good lighting can help with this.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have heard of some adhesive I could use, and am also very familiar with Tegaderm, because I once worked as a billing mgr. for a DME company. The only thing that really concerns me is how temperamental is the sensor to water? Is it possible to take just the sensor out before a shower and the replace it after I am done? Because it looks to me that the sensor just snaps in and out.
Thank you so much for your help
Frank

No.

Unless you are confusing “sensor” with “transmitter”.

And if that was simply a confusion then no - do not remove the transmitter. The combined system is likely “more” waterproof with the transmitter in place on top of the sensor. The transmitter itself is hermetically sealed and totally waterproof (to a particular water depth of course).

Personally I see nothing unusual with a 45 minute shower. I would suggest to try it and see how it works before you start looking for workarounds. You may find it a non-issue.

The sensor may not be temporarily removed. Transmitter, yes, sensor, no. It’s the transmitter that snaps in and out. The sensor is a thin wire that is placed in subcutaneous tissue. The transmitter snaps into a mount atop the sensor.

Thanks Terry, I really meant the Transmitter. Now my next question is,
After you snap out the transmitter, Do you have to cover that hole were the
transmitter sits it?
Thank you for all you help,
Frank

I would question your reason for removing the transmitter.

I would also suggest if only for the sake of a shower (as originally posted), do not remove the transmitter.

1 Like

Well, my reason for concern about taking the transmitter out before a show comes from a post I read stating that after a shower people were getting error messages for a while. So because of my unusual routine of taking very hot, and very long showers. I am trying to avoid this.
thanks again,
Frank

I agree with @Tim35. There’s no normal need to remove the transmitter for showers. I think the problem that occasionally happens is some moisture might infiltrate the transmitter/sensor connection and cause communication errors. This connection is designed to be water-tight and is usually sealed. The connection mates the two small round metal contacts on the bottom of the transmitter with the two small black rubber “doughnuts” on the sensor cradle.

I think some of the reported problems happen when the transmitter is not locked into the sensor cradle by both release arms. I’ve actually had this happen and the system works normally until it starts presenting with data-dropouts and ??? errors. This scenario would also allow water to leak in and cause a poor connection.

1 Like

Terry4, thanks for the input. All my stuff just arrived today. I will let
you know how make out with the Dexcom G5 system and the Omnipods. I just
have to see my doctor, for a little training and dosage.
Thanks again,
Frank