Dexcom G5, trouble with ? after shower

Hello,
New to posting but giving it a try.

Started with a Dexcom G5 this week 3/24/2016 after 4 years on Minimed CGM.
Numbers accuracy look promising, but I have experienced ??? for up to 45 minutes after showering each day.

Dexcom technician tells me this is “Normal” and that I should have been told that it “Would” happen.

I looked at the Dexcom for more that a year before switching from Minimed and never saw mention of this happening. Literature says that the sensor and transmitter are Waterproof in everything I have read.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective product?

Hope to hear from those with experience and knowledge of this product.

Thank you in advance for the assistance that I know will come from this group.

Jody20

1 Like

there’s another topic on this subject here

you can add to that if you’d like.

I’ve had it happen a couple of times after a shower over the last few months, but definitely not anything like always. It has recovered in less than an hour each time.

I actually just started with the Dexcom G5, too, this week. I used Dexcom about 8 or 9 years ago, and I liked it for the most part. I decided to try it out again because of the new capability of readings to iPhone.

I haven’t had the problem with the ??? after showers. I have the sensor and transmitter on my abdomen. I do try not to get it wet as best as possible, and when I last wore the Dexcom. I used that press and seal plastic wrap so I also do that now. I make a patch and cover the whole device and the adhesive. It still gets wet but not as much. When I get out of the shower, I try to dry off the white adhesive patch by pressing a dry paper towel/tissue to area. I also quickly blow dry the adhesive patch. I haven’t had any problems, yet. Maybe you do have a defective sensor, or maybe it’s just getting too wet if the accuracy seems OK at other times.

My biggest worry was that the adhesive patch would lose its stickiness. I read that that was a problem, and I’m fairly active with running and cardio stuff. So far, it hasn’t been an issue yet, but I have purchased the Skin-Tac and that Flexifit tape to get the most wear out of the sensor when it starts to come off.

Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be.

Peter

for the shower or the swimming pool, try out the TEGADERM. it lasts long and it is even difficult to pull off when you need to change your sensor.

No ??? here. I am on the other hand not using the receiver but an iPhone, which a keep in the bathroom. I have the sensor on my upper arm. G5 since approx 6-7 weeks back.

I cover my white adhesive patch with Rock Tape. I never saw the ??? Until a couple of weeks ago after a workout with a 2 week old sensor.

Are you sure that the transmiter is correctly clicked into the sensor. the The wings on both sides of the transmitter have to be under the clips. I seldom get the 2 clicks when I am inserting the transmitter into the sensor but with a bit of wiggling it then it finally gets attached properly. I used to get many ?s until I figured this out.

2 Likes

I don’t get ??? after a shower but accuracy does seem a bit off for an hour or so. Lot of days I calibrate after my shower and then have to calibrate by lunch time.

I usually wear my Dex sensors on the back of my upper arms. In that location the transmitter certainly gets wet during a shower, but not continually soaked. I never get ??? after showers and don’t think that the accuracy of my sensor is affected.

1 Like

Annabella, yes the transmitter is clipped. I thought about taking it off but it is working fine after the 45 min to 1 hour dead period.

My problem is that I am Hypoglycemic unaware and “Need” the CGM to work while driving. I may have to change my Morning schedule of events to allow for the ??? period. Currently I shower just before leaving each morning. I may have to make showering first in my morning routine.

Some may wonder what the issue is with driving and a sensor not working.

I drive approximately an hour each way to work. I am Hypoglycemic unaware, (No Symptoms when falling low, or going high), so if I am having a problem I do not realise it, and that could be very dangerous to me and anyone in my vicinity.

I am appreciative of all the responses to this topic.

1 Like

I almost never get ??? after a shower, though if I take a particularly hot shower, I have more issues with the tape coming loose and water getting under it. I’ve gotten in the habit of reducing the temp a little, and rarely have any Dexcom issues after showering.

I had this happen once, but only when I left my transmitter in another room. For some reason, it took a little longer for it to reconnect post shower than other times. When I keep my phone in the bathroom, I don’t have any issues. I put the sensor on my arm, it stays uncovered and gets sufficiently pelted by hot water with no problems so long as the receiver is nearby. I don’t think the degree to which you’re experiencing this is normal despite what the Dex person is saying.

I’ve had a different, but related? problem lately – after a shower, my Dexcom starts to report a rise that increases in speed, usually to at least one, if not double, up-arrows. When I check my BG with the meter, it does NOT indicate such a rise – so much that sometimes the Dex is off by 50-100 points! This has only started happening the last 2-3 weeks. Any idea why? Anyone have something like this happen?

How old is your sensor? I’ve seen this false swing before and often find a blood-fouled sensor as the likely cause. Are you staying hydrated?

Sensor was on its second day and was otherwise seemed fine - but after a shower, it went crazy off! No idea what happened with it. I did not see any blood when I inserted it… and it settled down after a few calibrations, but again, after the next shower, it started up again for no clear reason. No clue why - did not used to see this in the past -just the last couple sensors/weeks.

I have on occasion, when this happens, removed the transmitter from its sensor cradle, blow dried the black circular sensor conductors as well as the metal contacts on the transmitter bottom and then replaced the transmitter back into its usual position. This settled the problem right away. This suggests that water can sometimes get into the transmitter/cradle connection and disturb the signal.

1 Like

I am new to CGM and my Tandem pump, have had both for a few months now and just recently got the hourglass and then the ??? on my Dexcom G5 receiver. It’s happened three times within a few days and is always after a shower, although never happened in the past. When I called Dexcom, tech gal told me the hairdryer “fix” and it’s worked for me…after you’ve dried off from your shower, use your hairdryer on COLD and dry the sensor with it, I usually do it for a minute or so. After a while, it comes back online…not sure why it happens or why it didn’t in the past, but this does seem to correct it! Good luck with it!

just got my Dexcom unit two days ago. After one day of solid numbers and alerts properly warning me of a crash, it failed with the ??? after my first shower.

The literature from dexcom seems to say that it is water proof for showering and swimming, yet the posts here seem to suggest I need to do more to keep it safe.

Do I need to take extra steps to make it work ok after showering? swimming?

Don’t want to go through all my sensors in a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I don’t have a cgm, but here’s a picture of @Terry4 's “blow dry” solution

2 Likes