Dexcom G5

thanks…it was supose to come yesterday but nope fedex decided to come today instead. and i only got one transmitter instead of two. so ill have to see what happens. i did get another contour next meter tho with supplies. i think ill have enough supplies to hold me over and another back up with my other back up.

Check your bill and see how they charged you for the transmitters. I thought they always sent two out, so I’m surprised you only received one. I’d be sure to let them know and make sure your billing is accurate.

they will be billing medicare. so ill check on the paper that it came with. then after it goes through medicare it goes to medicaid (or in my state its called masshealth).

Medicare shipments include ONE xmitter and FIVE sensors. (assuming G5, which is the only one it covers AFAIK)

i got 2 sensors but thats ok because i was using the G4 so i have plenty of sensors to use. i also got a contour next meter with test strips and lancets

Thanks, @Dave44 for sharing that information.

I’m a bit surprised, although I probably shouldn’t be. The G5 transmitters don’t last as long as the G4 and have a timed stop and lately I hear a lot about delays in shipping/receiving new. Personally, I think we should be able to always have one transmitter in reserve, but that’s another story!

1 Like

You will get 5 sensors going forward, per month, as long as you choose “zero” as the number of sensors you have on hand, when you fill out the email form for the next month’s order.

i get my sensors from a local supplier. so im set there…ive been using them for over a year too. i get my pump supplies from them too. when it comes for a new transmitter ill have to go through dexcom.

are you saying you WON’T get 5 sensors a month, despite being on Medicare?

they will only let one box which has 4. right now i have 5 as dexcom sent two (one in a box)

I have REALLY had trouble getting G5 transmitters!!! Ordered one on Aug 3rd & despite repeated calls, all I get is “your order is being ‘processed’???” My current G5 transmitter is now DEAD & I’m getting NO RESPONSE from Dexcom! Whatever you do, save your old G4 gear as you ‘may’ need it!!! I’m working right now (2:35 AM) trying to ‘resurect’ one of my old G4 transmitters & receivers to at least have SOMETHING while Dexcom decides IF they will ship me a G5 transmitter…

I’m seriously confused, Amy. Medicare provides FIVE sensors every 30 days. I’d take up your issue with someone in charge because getting less isn’t right. The Medicare deal is that patients get five, and each shipment will be processed no earlier than 30 days after the previous shipment was sent to you. I get automated emails (to which I must respond by choosing the number of supplies I have, and that I’m not in a “facility”, yada, yada, yada) on the processing date, and if lucky, they will send out my order in less than 48 hours. One time there was a delay due to a lack of G5 xmitters, so that pushed back all of subsequent orders by about 5 days. So now my reorder date is much later in the month, than when I started last September, but I’ve got plenty of sensors.

So, Medicare seems happy to round up a strict interpretation of the sensors needed for 30 days, a nominal month. Since Dexcom G5 sensors are expected to last 7 days, 30/7= 4.29 sensors, 5 sensors per month is a generous rounding up.

Given that, I would think applying a potential Medicare benefit to the G6 sensor would only yield 3 sensors for 30 days, or 30/10. From a completely economic analysis, staying with the G5 makes better sense, if and when Medicare gives a green light to the G6. Am I right?

Yes it is generous. Couple that with getting more than 7 days and…well you get the picture. :slight_smile: