Dexcom G5 Questions and Updates

After a visit with my endocrinologist today, I am considering getting the G5 system. A brief history: I have an iPhone 6s, I have lived with T1 for over 50 years, and I use an OmniPod. My questions are these:

1. What improvements have there been to the G5 in 2017 that have worked out any interface problems with the iPhone?

2. What problems might I still face with the iPhone G5 App and Share App?

3. How reliable have you found the system to be? Do you still double-check with multiple blood tests, or are you comfortable calculating boluses based on the G5 data?

4. Do you just manually enter the G5 data into your PDM or pump when you eat and need to bolus?

5. I have used MDI and now OmniPod Pods for over 50 years, so I do have scar tissue in some areas. How do you coordinate Pump/ Pod placement with the G5 placement? Do you have to keep the two items a certain distance apart?

6. What is the typical cost to get started? (I live in the USA.) What are the typical monthly costs?

7. What other important questions am I not asking?

I would like to get some answers not just from Websites, but from actual users, which is why I am coming to you. If you love your G5, please tell me why. If you tried a CGM and gave it up, please tell me why. Thanks for all of the information you can provide. I like to be well informed before I make this important decision.

I can answer a few of these based on my experience only.

1. Iā€™ve had no problems with interface
  2. I donā€™t use the share app
  3. I calculate boluses based on the data on the G5. Iā€™ve found it to be very accurate
  4. yes, I manually input the data into my pump
  5. I think they say to keep the devices two inches apart
  6. all depends on your insurance
  7. I love having it. I canā€™t imagine going without it.

Thanks for your input. I am glad that it is working well for you.

1. I donā€™t have any problems with my G5 communicating with my iPhone 6s. I also use an Apple Watch and have several Dexcom disconnects with the phone almost every day. But rarely between the G5 transmitter and the phone unless I get too far away from the phone.

2. I donā€™t use the Share App, so no advice on it. No problems with the G5 app and through the years, minor problems have been easily fixed with the assistance of Dexcom tech support.

3. I bolus frequently from my G5 and have for a long time. At the same time, one needs to have a second sense about when not to trust it. Have I ever bolused wrong based on the G5? Yes, but most of the time it is good enough. Iā€™ve had a few horrible boluses based on errant BG meters also through the years.

4. Yes, I manually enter my G5 number into my pump when I bolus.

5. I donā€™t use the Omnipod so Iā€™ll let others answer this question. I wear my Dex sensors most of the time on the back of my upper arms. I get the best accuracy there and most of my sensors last for 3 weeks. I have had several instances of allergic reactions using Dex on my abdomen, but never have problems on my arms and legs.

6. I think that most insurance companies will cover a CGM these days although you may be denied at first and have to appeal. Your costs will be determined by your insurance companyā€™s contract with Dexcom. Dexcom does have deals for those who self-pay and I suggest you call them if you are in that situation. When I last spoke with them, you get free transmitters if you buy enough boxes of sensors. I am on Medicare and it is slowly getting worked out that Medicare will provide reimbursement for the G5.

7. There is a learning curve to being successful with a CGM. I canā€™t exactly specify what I do different than a newbie, but over time most of us do very well with the system. Although I still get lows and highs, I get warnings and can fix them myself before they get dangerous. Starting with the release of the G4 in 2012, I have not needed my husband to get me a glass of juice one time. (I did need a friendā€™s help once.) My Dexcom increases the quality of my life immeasurably and I canā€™t imagine going without it.

I love the share app. We just started with the G5 last week and itā€™s fabulous that I have access to my daughterā€™s bg readings when Iā€™m away from her. As well I keep my phone by my bed and I get alerts on it at night when she is going high or low which is why we choose Dexcom in the first place.

Now she doesnā€™t carry her phone with her all the time (sheā€™s 10) and there are times when she has been too far away from it and we have some data gaps. Iā€™m willing to put up with this at home to give her some freedom, but when she is out I will insist that she carry her phone with her.

Thanks for your response. I have a couple of years yet before Medicare; right now, for some strange reason, my insurance has decided to pay 80% of all my diabetic supplies this year. They have never done this in the past. Maybe someone finally educated them! Since Medicare just approved the CGM, I am fairly confident that they will have most of the payment ā€œbugsā€ taken care of by the time I get there.

I am glad that you like the G5. I am seriously considering it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1 Like

If I had a diabetic child, I could see where this would be invaluable. I am glad that it is working well for you.

Canā€™t add anything to the comments already posted. I would not want to give up my G5 (Iā€™ve been self paying for about 18 months), and I frequently make decisions just off of the Dexcom.

Thanks. So far everyone who has responded has been very positive about the system. Your feedback makes me feel more comfortable with the G5.

Thanks, Tim35, for your extensive feedback. I will probably try the G5 as soon as I double-check with my insurance company that they will cover it. I THINK they will, but confirmation of the fact will be good. Strangely, although Medicare is still two years away from me, I know that supplemental insurance I will take, and I know that the G5 (or G6 or G7 by then) will be covered since Medicare will cover it.

I know that once I started on the OmniPod, my life changed for the better. I hope that the G5 will do the same for me.

I wear the Medtronic product. What is your opinion on any benefit to changing to Dexcom. Granting that Medicare finally gets its act together and pays for G5.

Yes, I am enrolled in the Medtronic upgrade program. I am on Medicare and
have just paid for a new transmitter. When I am eligible, the plan is to
upgrade to the 670 G. I guess I am hoping the Medicare coverage issues
will be corrected by then. I was just wondering if a switch would be worth
my while. Thanks.

Buyers Beware the Dexcom G5. I got one 10 days ago. It reported normal range when I crashed down to 40. It alarmed ā€œURGENT LOWā€ literally all night (2 nights) despite normal readings on my one-touch. Dexcom recommended a different sensor the first time it happened. I complied, but it did the same thing again with another new sensor. The sensors proved to be totally unreliable, yet they refuse to take back 2 unopened boxes of 4 sensors. Itā€™s their policy not to refund their sensors. I so badly wanted it to work reliably (as advertised) but I came to realize I could not trust its readings, so it has no value at best. At worst, it was dangerous. Diabetes has enough challenges without a constant stream of misinformation as important as your blood sugar level. (Which, it isnā€™t even blood sugarā€¦ itā€™s more like fat cell readings) So if you go for a Dexcom G5, do not pre-buy months of sensors based on the assumption it works as well as the sales team would have you believe. They wonā€™t take them back. And, it takes them 6 weeks to process a return despite 2-day shipping.

2 Likes

Thanks, 40yearsoninsulin, for your valuable feedback. I am sorry that your experience with the G5 has been both expensive and unreliable. Your experience is my main concern; however, I also have read reviews of people who have had nothing but problems with the OmniPod, and the OmniPod has worked very well for me. How unfortunate that the G5 did not work for you! As someone noted earlier, each person and their diabetes is unique, and apparently the G5 will not work in your case. I will take your warnings seriously, though, and if I decide to try the G5, I will NOT pre-buy lots of sensors and supplies. Thanks for letting me know of your discontent with the G5.

The largest out of pocket cost will be if you loose a transmitter, so be cautious about trying to get long life out of the sensor, initially. The adhesive will become less effective over time and may need to be supplemented with medical tape from the pharmacy. If you loose or destroy the receiver, that will also be a heavy financial blow. But, the biggest risk is that the sensor falls out with the transmitter connected to it - $1,000 replacement cost for me. (P.S. that has only happened to me once and it was due to me trying to extend sensor life beyond what was practical.)

If you are concerned about scar tissue or cost, like I am, you donā€™t have to wear the sensor all the time. I tend to wear it when I am trying to gather data for an upcoming appointment and when I am trying to adjust my medication dosages. For that, it is invaluable.

That being said, someone on the site mentioned possible discounts on the old G4 system, if you are not married to the iphone app.

1 Like

@40yearsoninsulin That is crazy that the G5 sensors didnā€™t work for youā€¦ maybe it was a bad batch of sensors? My daughter just used it for 10 days as well and only removed it because it was becoming itchy, but it was incredibly accurate for usā€¦ almost uncanny how close it would be to her finger pokes.

Mohe0001, I am not terribly concerned about the adhesive coming loose or losing a sensor. I have worn an OmniPod (changed every three days) for over 10 years, and while some people report that the Pods fall off of them, I have never had that happen with my skin type. Actually, I have to PRY the Pods off after the three-day limit. Unless the adhesive of the sensors are totally different, I do not see that being a problem. As for the transmitters, if they snap into the sensor, I donā€™t see that as a problem either. I donā€™t do any active contact sports, so no one is going to end up inadvertently ripping it off. I am used to being aware of where something is stuck to my body, and I will take the proper precautions with the sensors/ transmitters if I choose the G5. Like the OmniPod PDM, I am aware of the cost of receiver replacement. I generally carry my iPhone with me, so using that as a receiver really appeals to me. The Dexcom receiver would just be a back-up. I still am waiting to hear back from my insurance company. Naturally, the person with the answer is on vacation this weekā€¦ just my luck!:slight_smile: My final decision has to wait for that answer. Iā€™ll let you know what I decide when I hear back from them.

Good to know!

If I decide to use the G5, I will just put the Tylenol/ acetaminophen on my ā€œallergy/ sensitiveā€ list so prescribers avoid any medications with those ingredients in them.

SherryAnn, that is the difference that I highlighlighted - an Omnipod is worn for, at most, three days. Sensors can be worn indefinitely, until they fall off. That will happen, eventually. I am simply highlighting that risk, associated with wearing a sensor too long. For people who are price conscious, it can end up costing more if the adhesive finally does come loose and the sensor falls out - secure with tape. All should be well.

Sensors also have a smaller surface area than an omnipod and the adhesive isnā€™t as ā€˜tenacious.ā€™ Omnipod tends to take the skin off after 3 days. Sensors wonā€™t do that, on the upside.

Risk = Threat x Vulnerability x Cost , threat might be low, but the cost is high. Therefore, its a risk for new users that can easily be avoided by using tape or by not overextending the life of the sensor. Well worth mentioning. I wish someone would have warned me about that.