Dexcom G6: Important Safety Tip!

So you know that little orange tab thingy you have to snap off that prevents the insertion button from firing? It turns out that if you’re not careful, when you snap it off you can accidentally press the button and fire your sensor across the room, where it will (according to quantum effects first described by Niels Bohr, if memory serves, though he was experimenting with buttered toast) land face down and demonstrate that yup, that new adhesive is pretty good, at least on bathroom tile, though linoleum might be similar.

It would take further experimentation to nail this down, but I’m guessing that the likelihood of this happening increases inverse to the number of sensors you have left, i.e., it’s at a maximum when it’s your last one. Other factors may be included, such as the sensor you’re running now, which you just rolled over to a second session, has suddenly started giving you that painful zing! from the filament contacting something down in the muscle sheeth or whatever that really REALLY doesn’t like being touched. And it’s a weekend so you can’t get a new one for a couple of days minimum, even though Dexcom was nice about FedEx’ing a replacement right away.

Anyway, be aware, be safe out there. And don’t cross the streams. It would be bad.

12 Likes

I dropped a loaded libre inserter and it triggered - you can put it back if yer a highly skilled fabricator with the right tools

They sent me a new one without a problem

On the plus side after spending time figuring out how it worked to put the sensor back in - I have to admit it is a masterpiece of engineering - I think a lot of left handers played a part

2 Likes

I don’t ever take that tab off until I’ve got the sensor firmly adhered to my skin. Murphy’s law is perfectly demonstrated in diabetes too many times for me to trust that everything will go as planned.

6 Likes

You shot your sensor across the room, didn’t you?

1 Like

Fair retribution in a world that is spring loaded against left-handers, don’t you think? :smirk:

6 Likes

Pens, pencils - forks, spoons and hatchets are all right handed - most folks do not know this

Even the insulin pumps

1 Like

My wife was the only right-hander in her family. Two brothers and her mom, all lefties. She still has problems distinguishing right and left.

2 Likes

Different side of the brain controls thought for lefties - totally diff way of looking at things

great funny book here

I am trying to convert my wife to LH thinking - she will have no part of it

3 Likes

Haven’t felt a difference in the above since I eat “European style.” Ball point pens and pencils seem to be either handed and I haven’t used a hatchet. But can openers, cars and, especially, insulin pumps are definitely right handed!

Hold a spoon or fork in your LH

turn it over

writing is upside down - readable RH only

writing on pens and pencils is upside down if in LH

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t bother reading writing on these things! Type is too small anyway. I thought you meant they have a right-handed twist or something. But thank goodness for pull tabs on some cans. Have you used a backwards can opener recently?

Yes

1 Like

It also helps to be fully awake before pressing the button!

I was barely awake and had a full day ahead of me when I prepped a new sensor for insertion. I followed ALL the steps EXCEPT the one where you remove the coverings for the adhesive. I pushed the orange button, removed the housing, and watched the sensor fall off of my body onto the floor … :astonished:

3 Likes

Oh yeah. I’ve done that with infusion sets as well as sensors. Almost always when I’m replacing a bad one, as opposed to starting a fresh one. You get to use up three sets trying to do the work of one, and you have to move to yet another location so you’ve wasted an insertion site as well. Not to mention annoying your wife with all the furious cursing coming from the bathroom. Good times.

2 Likes

So you mean pens and pencils are really anti old age and bad eyesight, besides being pro right handed?

My Omnipod is ambidextrous! It’s up and down not left to right! (the back writing you have to turn sideways whether you are left or right handed and it’s covered with their case so it’s not meant to be read anyway).

1 Like

Has the cannula been inserted? 9 out of 10 the answer will be YES

What side is YES on

it’s right handed

A tip that works for G5’s: when I damaged a sensor, I found that subsequently, I could leave the next sensor in place, carefully take the transmitter off the sensor, then “stop sensor” on my IPhone and receiver. Then I would put the transmitter back onto the old sensor and restart the cycle on my phone and receiver. That would fool the receiver and phone into thinking that I had a new sensor. As an experiment, I repeated the cycle until the twice daily calibrations started to drift. That occurred after 3 to 4 cycles. I do not know if that would work on the G6, but if it did, you may be able to prolong the lives of your sensors long enough to accumulate a couple of “spares” to save you from the next mishap. Good luck!

You don’t need to remove the transmitter to restart a sensor. You’re doing a process that involves 100 steps when 3 will do the same thing.

Restarting a sensor for a G6

1. Let your sensor expire.
  2. Start a new sensor session and choose “no code”. You do not need to remove the transmitter.
  3. Let the warm-up session start and run for about 15 minutes. I set a timer on my phone.
  4. After 15 minutes, STOP sensor. It may warn that you cannot start a stopped sensor, but this is not true.
  5. **Start another new sensor session with your old code
  6. The sensor will warm-up for two hours and start giving readings after

I do have to turn off my phone temporarily, because I do use the reader and use it to start my sensors. But you can just use your phone instead.

He’s using a g5 not a G6. All he has to do is stop session and start session. You’re right, the G6 is more complicated.

1 Like