Dexcom G6 Signal Loss/Omnipod

I’ve been receiving a number of signal loss errors on my iPhone XR recently, the latest last night at 8PM through 9:00 AM this morning. However, I keep receiving correct BS readings on my Omnipod G5 PDM, confirmed with finger sticks. I had updated the IOS to 16.4 a while ago.
I spoke to A Dexcom rep this morning. He said that the Dexcom app is only designed to work correctly with up to IOS 16.3.1, so that can be the reason for the continuous signal losses. Dexcom hasn’t updated things yet.
I asked how then could my Omnipod still be receiving bs readings if the Dexcom app wasn’t receiving a signal? He said it can’t. But it is I says!
He said then it’s an Omnipod issue, talk to them.
So I did. The tech there says it’s a Dexcom issue, so talk to them. I pressed her to dig deeper, and she said her “diagram” sort of shows the bs data “may be” sent by the Dexcom transmitter to the Omnipod and not from the Dexcom app.
That would answer my question, but I wanted a more definite answer. I called Dexcom back to try to get an upper level answer, but got the same response, that if the app isn’t receiving a signal, there’s nothing that can be sent to the Omnipod.
Anyone come accross this issue?
Thanks, Mike

After another call back to Dexcom, the latest tech said yes, the Dexcom transmitter does send the data to the Omnipod even if the Dexcom app is not receiving a signal.

a few other o5 users, like john58 have posted, mostly about the dexcom transmitter having 2 Bluetooth spots and the o5 uses the same one a dexcom receiver would normally use, while the phone/watch stays active… Apple will probably figure it out soon with a new update, however, i just wanted to save you the hassle of trying a dexcom receiver…there is a blujay watch that will show glucose levels, or maybe the byoda option could help…things to look into

You phone and pda or pump are treated differently by the dexcom.
You are allowed one medical device, a pda or insulin pump. You can’t have 2. The signals are usually better because often my pump gets data and my phone does not.
I don’t understand how it’s different, but it is because you can have several phones if you wanted, but only one medical device. Even stranger sometimes my dexcom ap does not have data while my tandem ap does. Same phone. Very odd
I also have an Apple Watch which is connnected to my phone but sometimes my watch is updates sooner than my phone. At least it alarms first.

1 Like

Timothy, I’m not quite sure what you mean? The Omnipod G5 is designed to work using the Dexcom G6, its monitor devise (my iPhone or the Decxom pdm), and a control device for the Omnipod (the Omnipod pdm or a compatable smartphone). Sorry if I’m misinterpreting your post.

My question to Dexcom and Omnipod was if my iPhone Dexcom app said it lost a signal and wasn’t registering my bs, could the Omnipod still get my blood sugar reading from the Dexcom sensor and transmitter?; I was told by two of three techs that no, it couldn’t. Since I was getting readings on the Omnipod pdm that answer couldn’t be correct. The third Dexcom tech said that even if my iphone wasn’t getting a signal, it could still transmit to the Omnipod.

as Timothy stated, this is your issue

there’s a thread around here somewhere where they were upset about the o5 taking the receiver slot on the g6 transmitter, but many users on the forums have experienced the same thing…the phone/watch and the dexcom receiver or the pump, but unfortunately, not both…your 3rd dexcom tech was correct it can and does connect to the pump and pdm…

Yes. If you use the Omnipod PDM it will register a BG reading (meaning the pod is getting those readings) every 5 minutes. The pod continues getting these BG readings from the G6 transmitter even if your iphone is turned off, lost etc.

1 Like