New to iphone. Questions

I am a long time Android user and always use x drip. I have switched to iPhone and I’m about to start using the dexcom app. I am using the G6 sensor. I read a lot of conflicting reports about how well G6 works with iPhone. Some say great some say horrible. I would like some feedback on that if possible. The other thing I would like to know is if I have a watch with my phone will I be able to silence the alarms from my watch? I hear a lot of people who hate the alarms with the dexcom app.

The biggest problem is that it will lose connectivity for no good reason. And it alarms for that.

I have turned all alarms off except for the under 55, which you can’t shut off.
I’m using a pump so the data is still captured.

Otherwise it works fine most of the time.
If you have a pump, use that to start dexcom sessions and enter code.
Your phone ap will pick up from there without any intervention.

I find more and more taht I use my tandem ap more.

As for the watch, if you have an Apple Watch you can dismiss the alarm. It’s a little tough to get readings on the face though, but it’s doable. You need to set it up on calendar.

But the alarms come through as long as you have the dexcom ap on your phone and you allowed it to be in your watch too.

I guess I’m going to have allot to learn. I found xdrip to be good and really didn’t do my homework before I went with an iphone. Xdrip doesn’t support the version of iOS I have yet and it doesn’t look like they will. Thanks for the reply

@David_Lee1 , I am a 20+ year Dexcom and pump user. When phones joined the game back when, I have used an iPhone non-stop. Because of my job (since retired but still follow the same practices), I kept my various iPhones upgraded, updated and have not had a problem with Dexcom apps.

The reports of problems with iPhones have me believing the users are trying to ‘game the system’ to one extent or another. Currently, I am using an iPhone 12 Max Pro. I have had no connectivity issues since it came out of the box in December 2020. I have been on Tandem’s CIQ pump since January 2020. I have been on Dexcom’s G6 since shortly after it was released (after I expended by G5 supplies).

Problems with connectivity have been non-existent. I use VZW.

xDrip may work well with MessTronics (at least 3 fatalities have been caused by MT). I use the Tandem t:Connect, Dexcom’s G6 & Clarity apps, and SugarMate in a laddered alarm configuration.

Hope this helps.

I have no problem using my iphone with the Dexcom ap. I don’t lose connection hardly ever unless my sensor is on it’s last day of a restart ( about 25 days) or the transmitter is on it’s last days and the battery is going.

In fact my iphone reads my numbers when I am at the other end of my house. The only issue I have is I can’t get the Dexcom to read when I am swimming in the ocean.

1 Like

It works fine. You can set custom alarms. The alarms are constant and annoying. There is virtually nothing you can do about that - you can’t stop them.

That’s another thing I heard. Xdrip is good. I’ll miss it but I’ll get use to this one. The alarms one it were fine. If you had a low you shut off the alarm and it would alert you 30 minutes later to check it. The highs were two hours apart but I think you had the option for other lengths of time on it. Thanks for the reply

1 Like

I have an IPhone 7+. I have been using it with my dexcom sense the G5 days. I always up date the phones software and have not had any issues . I also have a Fitbit watch which will connect with the phone via Bluetooth to show me the numeric value on my watch.

In my experience, the G6 works great with iphone. It does lose connectivity once in a while, but not often, maybe every few days. It can just be a matter of having your phone in the wrong pocket or the phone being blocked by something (like the pump). Sometimes I open and close the Dexcom app to get it going again and sometimes I just ignore it and it comes back again on its own. I also use a Tandem pump and it’s very rare for both the pump and the phone to lose connection at the same time, so I can almost always see my BG.
I have no trouble getting my blood glucose on my watch. You just have to choose the right watch face, not all the watch faces support the Dexcom app.
One complaint I have is that while you can dismiss an alert from your watch, the dismissal is only temporary. To stop an alert from repeatedly coming back, I have to dismiss it from the phone.
If you have a Tandem pump, the t:connect app is great for iphone. You can see your changing basal levels, boluses and BG all on one graph.

I too use the G6. Only 1-2 feet will put it out of range or setting on the phone. So I use three devices. Phone G6 meter and watch. One of Themis always in range

That’s odd. I can leave my phone on by the first floor and my bedroom no is on the second floor and it usually stays connected.
My Apple Watch is only connected if my phone is near it. It doesn’t have its own cell number.
And even if it did, the data is shared with the dex ap on the iPhone.

There might be something wrong w one of your devices