Diabetes and Lactose Intolerant

Hi Guys, just wondering if any of you seem to have Type 1 and Lactose intolerance. I'm just getting use to the idea of being diabetic for life (Type 1 gotta love it) but now I'm finding I'm having issues with dairy which kinda sucks to have any food allergies because I'm a chef in training. Anyway, just curious to know if anyone else is suffering from the two and wondering how you live with it.

Blessings,
BD

I've had a milk allergy all my life but as I grow older the lactose intolerance has become more severe. If I decide I want ice cream or other milk products I make sure I have a couple of days to recover from it. And I space out my encounters with milk so that I don't have milk products every day or even every other day. I know some people get relief with lactaid pills but it doesn't work on me. Good luck and here's hoping you can tolerate a small amount with your meals.

Hi Diabetic Chef. I find that taking a good probiotic capsule daily eliminates my lactose intolerance.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have Celiac Disease which messes with one's gut and causes lactose intolerance. I don't eat gluten, but I do believe it is the probiotic that is helping with the lactose intolerance. I guess I'd also wonder if perhaps you have a gluten problem?

Lactose intolerant does not mean you have to forego all products in one grand swoop. Try one 2 oz yogurt. Or a cooked pudding. 4 oz lactaid milk. One at a time so you know anything is due to that. I have had a stomach ache since I was a child after drinking regular milk. I've developed a list of what I can take a small amount of. Keep a record.

First - Lactose intolerance is NOT an allergy.

Almost all humans produce lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk) when they are babies, but generally lose this ability as they get older and no longer need milk to survive. It is believed that certain European populations retained the ability to produce lactase throughout life via natural selection (those who could drink milk and eat dairy products when there was little else available survived and passed this trait down, while others did not).

The vast majority of people throughout the world are lactose intolerant (see http://anthro.palomar.edu/adapt/adapt_5.htm). Which kinda tells you that consuming dairy might not be a good thing in general. Also, keep in mind that lactose is a sugar, so it's going to make your blood sugar rise.

If you really want to eat dairy, most people who are lactose intolerant find that they can have small amounts of milk products, but can't overdo it. I am lactose intolerant and can have cheese and yogurt without any issue. But if I even see a glass of milk, my stomach starts churning. If I dare to drink it, I'm in the bathroom for a good 30 minutes. Not fun. I love the taste of ice cream, but often find that if I eat more than 70 grams of the stuff, my belly hurts and the gas is just, well, you get the idea.

For me, I just try to avoid any of the dairy products that I know I can't break down (primarily milk and icecream). If I want dairy, I choose things like yogurt. Even frozen yogurt is usually OK for me in small quantities. If you keep portions small, you may find that symptoms are minimal. I know some folks take lactaid, but to me, if I my body can't digest it, that's my body's way of telling me NOT to eat it.