Diabetes coverage in South Africa

So… I had just scored what could be a job for life (after 10 years on short term contracts it is a relief!) with health insurance that covers pretty much everything- quarterly visits to my endo, insulin, strips etc… I only have to pay a small amount every quarter.
But my husband has just been offered a job for 2 years in South Africa. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are there? Every website I have tried asks me for a South African phone number or a South African social security number - neither of which I have.
I would also initially be unemployed when I get there… I am really very nervous about this- it would be great for my husband’s career… but I would also like it if I could afford to not die…
I kind of need to know really quickly- they want an answer from him by tomorrow- (he only told me that last night- small details were never his forte- good thing I love him!)

1 Like

This seems to be a reasonable article on the subject. The problem with going with your husband is that he may not be offered employee sponsored health insurance and then the chances are that you would be excluded from coverage for even up to two years for your diabetes.

It would seem to me that the only real option to make this work (without you staying in where you are now) is to get your husband’s employer to sweeten the deal by including employer sponsored health insurance and waive preexisting conditions.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d not leave my new “job for life” either with or without good health insurance benefits to accompany my spouse for a two-year job in a different country. Just doesn’t sound like a sound decision. Two years is not forever. But that’s just me…

1 Like

Medicine cost in South Africa are not that expensive. Doctor and Hospital cast are extensive. You could get away with $ 600 dollars a month with no medical aid. A visit to the doctor would cost $40 to get you scripts etc. Depending were you go end’s are hard to come by. A lot go GP think they know what they are talking about but don’t. If you know what you need then you good to go. I am sure you will be just fine. On a lighter note just watch out for the lions when you go to the drug store.

I live in South Africa and work abroad so take all my meds with me and keep a 6 month supply at work and don’t have any issue. I am sure that you could arrange to take a 3 month supply with you when you depart to SA. This would give you time to sort things out. Medical aids do approve this in SA. I know in most of the larger cities there are diabetic support centres as well. Hope this helps

1 Like

If he gets a SA medical aid he can add you at a little cost and most medical aids cover all you diabetic needs. This would be the best option. Most couples in SA work this was.

1 Like

Perhaps you clarify what the typical exclusion period is when you have diabetes. Is it a year?

1 Like

No, there should be no exclusion period in SA. When she joins the diabetes will fall under chronic medication. She will have to ensure when she is given her first script from the doctor that they complete the chronic medication forms. The doctor will then forward this to the medical aid and that is that. Most SA medical aids have a saving as well and if you require more meds they can use the saving to pay for this before you have to be out of pocket. When she collects the meds from the pharmacy it will be on the system as chronic meds. It may take 15min to have the script approved and that is about the only hassle. If you don’t have the time you can drop the script and have them phone you when it is ready to pick-up. I always have a script in my bag as a back up incase I am not at home and run out loose or am short of meds that I can just go to the pharmacy and collect the meds I need. If you in bigger centres you do not need a script if you go to the chain pharmacy it will be on the system.

1 Like

If you have to pay for you own medical aid it would be around $400 dollars for a comprehensive insurance that would cover all your needs. Please ensure that you have proof of been on a previous medical aid. They will requires this otherwise there maybe a waiting period. I am not sure if you from overseas what the rules are regarding this but just be safe and have proof that you belonged to a medical aid .

1 Like

Everything I read says that medical aids can impose a 12 month waiting period for diabetes as a pre-existing condition. I am not at all clear that they will consider insurance coverage from another country as satisfying the proof of previous medical aid. I think there is still some major risk that the original poster could face 12 months of not having diabetes coverage.

1 Like

I have never had this problem if you have proof of a previous medical aid. It is treated like all chronic meds

1 Like

I suspect that there is a totally different view of previous US based private medical insurance coverage. I see nothing to suggest that a SA medical aid company will consider a previous US medical insurance coverage as satisfying previous medical aid. Do you have a different experience. Did you come from the US and have your private US insurance count as previous medical aid?

Even so, the OP has only had short term contracts and may have not even had US private insurance in the last 12 months. I consider there to be a high risk of not having coverage for 12 months. This is in contrast to the US where as part of ACA everyone is guaranteed coverage for diabetes from day 1.

Thank you so much for your feedback so far- I am currently in Germany, and my health insurance is part of my employment contract - that is the law here. (It comes out of my wages automatically, and the health ismtuance company is government controlled).
I will see it if i can call someone in South Africa tomorrow, and let you know.

1 Like

Marvelous post and marvelous responses. The Essence of the Global TuD. Bravo all…

I am moving to S Africa for retirement. Health insurance is difficult - there is a year wait for coverage for T1D for private insurance. It’s a very different system than I am used to, but the people I’ve talked to are nice. Company coverage is entirely different and depends on what the company offers. Just find out from your husband’s HR dept. Discovery is the largest insurer in ZA if you need private.

I was just there last month. I priced out Humalog and Lantus. A box of 5 Humalog pens at current exchange rates was about $40. Lantus about $85. That’s over the counter. A doctor visit at a private clinic to get a checkup and an rx was about $12. Most pumps available in Europe are available in ZA. I don’t know costs on that. One Touch test strips were about $50/100 (maybe more, I forgot to write it down). There were less expensive options. I figure I can afford those prices, but I’m not sure if I had a heart attack or anything that could be blamed on a low episode if I would be covered. So I will buy insurance a year before we go. Because I haven’t had insurance, we will have to pay a 50% or 100% penalty forever - that’s how they “encourage” young healthy people to buy it.

The private hospitals and doctors are world class. Don’t worry about getting excellent care. The public system is terrible, but hopefully new regulations will help.

Go. Enjoy yourself. S Africa is a beautiful, diverse, wonderful country. Where will you be located - I might be abe to help with some tips.