Diabetes Hands Foundation Elects Lorraine Stiehl, David Edelman as New Board Members

New Board Members Tout Importance of Supporting People with Diabetes in Their Daily Lives

BERKELEY, CA: January 20, 2011 – Today, Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF), the nonprofit that runs TuDiabetes.org, announced the unanimous election of Lorraine Stiehl and David Edelman to the organization’s board of directors.

Ms. Stiehl brings over twenty years of nonprofit management and fundraising experience to the board. Besides StiehlWorks, her family-owned market research and marketing firm, Ms. Stiehl works part-time for the Diabetes Center at UC, San Francisco and serves as JDRF’s lead advocacy volunteer where she worked for more than 14 years.

“I am honored to serve as a board member of the Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) as it continues to provide innovative programming and online support to the diabetes community. Having worked in the world of diabetes for nearly 25 years, I understand how an organization such as DHF can provide morale support to those living with diabetes and their loved ones,” Ms. Stiehl stated. “I look forward to lending my hands to this important effort and am grateful for the opportunity to serve.”

Mr. Edelman is co-founder of DiabetesDaily, one of the largest diabetes support communities on the web and serves on the executive committee of the Hebrew Free Loan Association of Cleveland. Mr. Edelman has been actively involved in programs launched by DHF, such as the Big Blue Test and Diabetes Advocates.

“DHF is a forward-thinking organization that truly understands how new, social technologies can connect and support people with diabetes,” Mr. Edelman said. “I look forward to building on the work that currently helps thousands of people live healthier and more satisfying lives.”

In addition to Ms. Stiehl and Mr. Edelman’s election, Mr. Henkel Garcia (current Treasurer) and Mr. Luis Garcia were also ratified in their positions.

The Diabetes Hands Foundation Board of Directors now has 7 members serving on it:

“We are honored to have such an incredible group of professionals in our board,” said Mr. Hernandez. “The addition of Lorraine and David to the team will further strengthen us to be able to better serve people touched by diabetes in the future.”

About the Diabetes Hands Foundation (www.diabeteshandsfoundation.org)
The Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that connects people touched by diabetes and raises diabetes awareness such as the Big Blue Test. Through its online communities (TuDiabetes.org in English, EsTuDiabetes.org in Spanish) and its other social media channels, DHF offers support and information to nearly 200,000 people every month.

# # #

David and Lorraine,
WELCOME!!

David’s page on the DHF web site:
http://tud4.us/gRzVru

Lorraine’s page:
http://tud4.us/eFN6LA

Congrats !! and thank you for your work, I really appreciate it.

What a BOD! Tu D & DHF mean the world to us & we’re grateful for the contributions of all these amazing people.

Wonderful to Welcome you aboard Lorraine and David. Thank you both! You both have your own Amazing but Unique talents that you have shared with so many. I’m sure that your experiences are equally Gratifying and Awesome.

You are included as Amazing Gerri. :slight_smile:

Congratulations! Thank you for your service. They don’t make 'em much better than you guys. The support you all provide is truly a blessing to us all. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Congratulations to the new board members and thanks to all for what you do to support and encourage diabetes awareness, connection, contributions, and improved health outcomes!

I’m honored to serve DHF. I deeply respect the board and all that the organization has accomplished under the direction of Mr. Manny Hernandez. We share a vision of helping people with diabetes by working together and aiming high. I see a future full of good things.

Congratulations to both of you! David I love your site over at DD too and am over there often. This is just wonderful news!

Excellent news to be reading on a Saturday morning (too cold today to go outside at -17C)!