Diabetes nad constipation?

for last 10 years i am struggling with constipation , the day i have constipation problem, i feel very upset , for me it is easy to tackle higher bg level than constipation, bcoz ur food is not digested properly , pls tell me some remedy

Miralax may work better for some people than added fiber… my 8yo was on it for a couple of years when he was younger.

Normally fresh fruits and vegetables should keep a Person regular but sometimes that doesn’t always work, especially with Persons who have Diabetes or People who are on medications that cause constipation, as a side-effect…

Kellogg’s All-Bran cereal, Post 100% Bran cereal, etc. Have a 1/2 - 3/4 bowl of bran, 2 or 3 times a week to start. A Person may then have 1 bowl a week, depending on their system.
or 3/4 glass of Welsh’s(or other) prune juice every few days. Drink a glass of water after the prune juice and bran. People should drink about 6-8 glasses of water anyways, for many reasons.

Any laxatives natural or not can cause a painful rebound of constipation, when discontinued. Continue the bran weekly. You can put a handful of bran on other foods also or mix a quarter cup of it with fruit(even with 1% or 2% milk) in blender. Experiment!

Make sure to test before and after these items are consumed, to see what they do to your blood sugar and correct with a bolus, if needed.

If you eat a lot of cheese, cut that down some, since it’s constipating. Get lots of exercise.

I’d recommend getting a consult to see a gastroenterologist if your primary care provider has been unable to come up with a workable solution. I had a problem of going from one extreme to another. I saw a gastro who after extensive testing concluded that antonomic neuropathy was the problem - he called it “diabetic dysmotility.” He said it was a diagnosis of exclusion. Anyway, various treatments have helped, but none have totally resolved the problem. As is always the case with Type I, the default solution to every question posed to a doctor starts with “maintain optimal glucose control.”

FWIW, a good gastro might want to see some sort of log of what you ate, your BMs and your BGs.

I hope this helps.

1 Like