Diabetes Vaccine

I was thinking about this just now and I was wondering if anyone hard heard anything about a vaccine. When I was diagnosed about 14 years ago they tested my brother also. Before his results came back they told us that if he wasn’t diabetic but he showed signs that he could be prone to it they would send us off to England for a vaccine, of sorts, that was fairly new then that would prevent him from becoming diabetic.

It was at such an early stage that it was only offered in England at the time (we lived in Greece) but it was obviously out of the experimental phase. When my wife was pregnant I asked the doc if it was now available here in the US and he said he had never heard of such a thing. A google search comes up with a whole lot of nothing and I can’t seem to find any info on this at all. I know I’m not imagining the docs telling me this back then because my dad has been on my case to get info on it so we can perhaps schedule a trip to England, for my daughter, next time I visit him in Greece.

Has anyone here heard anything about this? Has it been discontinued or something?

Btw, I use the word vaccine for lack of a better word. It’s not really a vaccine in the traditional sense of the word.

Diabetes vaccine trials to begin

The vaccine could mean no more insulin injections
A vaccine that could cure Type 1 diabetes is to be tested on people for the first time.
King’s College London and Bristol University have recruited 72 diabetic patients for the trials in late Spring.

The vaccine works by stopping the destruction of pancreas cells that produce insulin, which is needed to break down sugar in the normal way.
If successful, they will recruit more volunteers with the help of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

Human trials

People with Type 1 diabetes tend to develop the condition before the age of 40 and have to inject themselves with the hormone insulin every day.
Without these injections their blood sugar would become dangerously high and they would die.
“It will be of help for people who have just been diagnosed.” -Dr Colin Dayan from the University of Bristol

Scientists have long been looking for a way to cure the condition.

Although the exact cause of Type 1 diabetes is unknown, the body’s defence system is thought to be involved, mounting an abnormal attack on its own cells.

The two UK teams believe they have found a way to prevent this self-destruction. The vaccine contains a protein that encourages the production of protective immune cells to defend the cells in the pancreas against attack. After successful results in mice, the UK researchers are now ready to test their vaccine in humans.

Future cure
These initial trials will check that the vaccine is safe.

The researchers then hope to be able to stop early diabetes in its tracks and, eventually, prevent the disease before it begins. But this will take five to 10 years.

One of the team leaders, Dr Colin Dayan from the University of Bristol, said: “It will be of help for people who have just been diagnosed. It might stop their insulin-producing cells from deteriorating further. Then, if it proves to be very safe, we would think about using it in people who are at high risk of developing Type 1 diabetes.”

Co-researcher Professor Mark Peakman, from Kings College London, said several treatment approaches might need to be combined to combat such a complex disease as diabetes.

Other scientists are looking at using stem cells and organ transplants to restore insulin production by the body.

Professor Peakman said: “This is a disease which affects perhaps one in 200 individuals in the UK but is on the increase, particularly in children. It’s a disease that we need to get on top of.”

Georgina Slack, head of research at Diabetes UK, said: “A hundred years ago, Type 1 diabetes was a death sentence. We have come a long way in terms of managing the condition. Now we are seeing new approaches in research emerge which are improving the chances of providing a cure. There is no doubt that any breakthroughs would have a huge impact on the treatment of people with diabetes.”

The vaccine trial is jointly funded by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International and the Diabetes Vaccine Development Centre in Melbourne, Australia.

Source: BBC NEWS | Health | Diabetes vaccine trials to begin

Human trials to begin on ‘diabetes cure’ after terminally ill mice are returned to healthBy NOEL YOUNG
Last updated at 23:30 14 March 2008

Most diabetes sufferers could be cured within four years if a revolutionary treatment involving the BCG vaccine works, scientists said yesterday.
A human clinical trial with hopes of finding a cure for type 1 diabetes is to start at a leading American research hospital using BCG, universally given for many years in Britain to prevent tuberculosis.
If all goes well in later trials, the treatment could be approved for ordinary patients in four years.
Volunteer patients are now being enrolled for the trial at at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
The aim is to find out whether promising results obtained by Dr Denise Faustman in mouse studies can be applied to human diabetes.
Her studies have shown that mice with a form of diabetes closely resembling type 1 diabetes in humans can be cured. “Hundreds of mice were involved in a number of experiments over a period of years," said Dr Faustman.
“All were suffering from type 1 diabetes with only about two weeks to live.”
“They started improving within days after the first injection of BCG was given, and were eventually free of diabetes."

The vaccine destroyed abnormal white blood cells obstructing the production of insulin, which is needed to prevent diabetes, she said.
The first step in the human study is to determine whether the same strategy using BCG vaccination can be used to modify the abnormal autoimmune cells present in type 1 diabetes, sometimes called “juvenile-onset” diabetes.
“We are pleased to be starting human clinical trials,” said Dr Faustman.
“We are making the step from curing diabetes in mice to determining whether it will work in men and women with diabetes.”
Mouse blood is very similar to human blood and a clue as to whether the vaccine programme is working could be available within months of the start of the trial.
“One of the beautie of this is that BCG is a drug that has been tried and tested for 80 years, “ said Dr Faustman.
“There is no multi- million-dollar drug approval pipeline. It is a generic drug and will be cheap to administer if it works for humans.”
Type 1 diabetes usually starts during childhood or adolescence when a person’s immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
Complications can include kidney failure, blindness, amputations, heart disease, and strokes. The risk of complications is closely linked to the elevated blood sugar levels.
Maintaining near-normal sugar levels requires life-long demands on the patient, including frequent blood sugar monitoring and at least three daily injections of insulin or use of an insulin pump, along with restrictive diets.
Dr Faustman, a diabetes researcher for 15 years, realised that reversing Type 1 diabetes would require a drug that killed the bad white blood cells.
Going over years of records, she identified BCG, one of whose side effects in combatting TB is that it does just that.
Type two diabetes, which is an adult-onset illness often linked to obesity, is a different disease and not likely to be affected by the American trial.

Source: Human trials to begin on 'diabetes cure' after terminally ill mice are returned to health | Daily Mail Online

Wow, I guess I suck at google searches lol.

Still though what they were offering us over a decade ago for my brother was available to the public, not in the experimental phase. This was still very interesting info.

There is Diamyd, which is supposed to arrest the initial progress if given immediately upon diagnosis, but only for a few years at most. Then there is the BCG vaccine Marps mentioned, which you can find more info on over at www.faustmanlab.com. I believe they are in Phase 1 human trials for that one now, and raising money for the Phase 2 trial.

I think the BCG method shows some promise but I believe the cure will come sooner from something like Diabecell or SmartInsulin.

This article made my cry a little. My heart was racing while I was reading it.
To be free! To be free again… I still remember the feeling of having no worries at 14. I can still remember all of it.
To be cured within four years of taking the meds… I’d do it in a heartbeat.