Diabetes

did anyone go through the stage where they didnt want to be seen as diabetic and skip their needles just to try and fit in when you were teenages?? becoz i am and what. is gonna happen to me if i keep missing my lunch needle ??

Yep that would have been me. But I’ll tell you now you don’t want to do it!!! When I skipped my shots and all (back in late 79 earlir 80) I would up going back into the hospital and it was just like I took diasbetes all over again. You remember the thurst, going to the restroom all the time etc. PLEASE DON"T TRY TO BE “NORMAL”

Just noticed my spelling sucks! Sorry about that hope you can read it anyway.

nicole, can you figure out a more private place to take your shot? do any of your friends know about your diabetes?

Skipping the shot is a bad idea. This isn’t that kind of disease. We need the constant care and feeding. Shoot through your clothing or something. You are normal, you just need to do these things before you eat. You are also going to feel like crap. Don’t do that to yourself. Don’t skip the shot. It’s a really bad idea.

I am new to having Diabetes but still will put in my 2 cents. I remember my friend Roz being hospitalized in high school for skipping shots after that we made a point of making sure she knew she had nothing to be embarrassed about. I remember my aunt losing first her foot, then her lower leg and finally her whole leg up to the hip from her running high from skipping shots. I would say don’t skip. Diabetes is not something that you can just put to the side even for a minute. Being a teenager sucks but if people don’t except you taking care of yourself and excuse my French “f*ck em” they are not true friends. It took me along time to realize this. A friend is a friend and will stick by you no matter what.

Do not be ashamed of who you are. Stay true to yourself and that means taking care of yourself. In high school I lived through watching friends come down with cancer, friends learning to live with diseases(MS, Diabetes to just name two), friends coming out of the closet, friends overcoming addiction. I still remember a hang oner to my group of friends deciding he needed to get off the bottle and the next day a acquaintance who was a complete prick to him showing up at his house with info for AA and a case of coke as well as a few packets of Cool-Aid( or is it Kool-Aid) and asking if he wanted to talk and drink some soda. He became the others sponsor in AA not to long after that. I guess I’m trying to say remember your never alone.

thankyou everyone for your answers it makes me feel so much better to know that im not alone in all this it means alot. thanks guys :slight_smile:

Not a problem. Don’t let the bastards grind you down and stay strong. Your health is more important then what others think.

Do yourself a favor and please stick to your regiment do not skip the shots. In the long run you will look back and say what was I thinking.

When I was that age WAY back in the 60’s/70’s I was on one injection in the morning. I went on mdi about 10 years ago. When out with freinds and family I usually go to the mens room or out to my car. I am now on a pump for the last 2 1/2 years and it does not bother me at all. A lot of people think it is my blackberry.

I went through this phase. Diabetes sucks, especially for a teenager, but I think you’d be surprised how many of your friends will respect you for taking care of yourself. Missing all of those lunch injections is going to cause your a1c to skyrocket which will accelerate the onset of diabetes related complications - you still may not experience any for years but they will come sooner as a result of skipping shots. It took me years to break these bad habits - do your best to avoid them early on!

Have you though about switching to an insulin pump? I switched prior to my senior year of high school and I felt less like a junky at lunch time. Both the Animas Ping pump, and patch pumps like OmniPod, have remotes that look a little like a cell phone. So if you hide the pump itself in your clothes, no one will know that you are injecting insulin.

I know you are not alone in this, but please take your blood sugar and bolus for lunch. Is there a private place at school (such as an office or room in the nurse’s office) where you could go to do this in private? Have a 504 Plan so you can leave your last class before lunch five minutes earlier so you have time to bolus and still get a seat in the cafeteria with your friends. Or, if this proves difficult timewise, you can always bolus AFTER sitting with your friends and eating lunch. Sounds like you just need a private place and a short amount of time to do what you have to do. Or maybe get a pump. It is easier to bolus with the pump. But don’t set yourself up for complications, possibly at a very early age, possibly as a young woman. No one knows how long it takes before complications can occur if you are poorly managed. It could be as soon as five years from now. You don’t want to go there… take care of yourself.