DiabetesMine Survey: What Insulin Do You Use?

Hi everyone! I’m doing a bit of research for Amy Tenderich, of DiabetesMine.com, and we have some questions about your insulin usage and we would LOVE to hear back from you.

Please leave a comment or email me at amblass@gmail.com:

What insulin do you use? Why did you decided to use it? Have you used other insulin types? Which seems most effective? Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? Have you noticed any side effects? Does your insurance prefer one over another? Is one cheaper for you?

This can be for either SHORT-ACTING (Humalog, Novolog, Apidra) or LONG-ACTING (Lantus/Levemir/Lente) insulin. But please indicate which one you’re talking about!

Thanks!
Allison

I use humulin u500 in my pump. It is 5 times stronger than normal insulin so my basals are cut in half. My ICR is now 1 to 15 instead of 1 to 4. I was using novolog and I had to use 200 units a day now I use 200 units every 2-3 days. As for insurance, oh boy I had to get this one approved because it is so expensive. I only have a small co-pay but it took a while to get approved. The insurance has to pay $300 a bottle and I get 2 a month. I notice no side effects and very few hypos. With the exception of this morning, but that was my bad, I think. Starts peaking in 30 minutes and keeps my sugars in check pretty good. Really helps with insulin resistance.

What insulin do you use? APIDRA
Why did you decided to use it? I WAS SWITCHED TO APRIDA WHEN I STARTED MY PUMP
Have you used other insulin types?YES, I ALSO USED HUMALOG, NOVALOG, NOVALIN, LANTUS, NPH, REGULAR WITHIN THE LAST 18 YEARS
Which seems most effective?APIDRA, MY A1C HAS BEEN AT ITS ALL TIME LOWEST, WITH HELP FROM MY PUMP Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? APIDRA WORKS REALLY QUICK COMPARED TO THE NOVALOF I WAS TAKING, AND IT SEEMS TO BE OUT OF MY SYSTEM FASTER ALSO
Have you noticed any side effects? NOPE
Does your insurance prefer one over another?I HAVE NEVER BEEN TOLD THAT THEY DO SO I GUESS NOT
Is one cheaper for you? NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF, BUT I WILL PAY MORE FOR SOMETHING THAT WORKS BETTER FOR ME

I use novolog in my pump and have since I started pumping 2.5 years ago. Before that, when I was on MDIs, I used humalog. I didn’t really “choose” to use them, it was just what my endo prescribed. I didn’t notice any side effects with either of them nor was one cheaper than the other as far as my co-pays. They both seem to do the job except for my recent struggle with high BG so maybe it’s not working? j/k Not sure if this information is helpful or not but wanted to share nonetheless.

What insulin do you use? NOVOLOG.

Why did you decided to use it? DR PRESCRIBED IT FOR PUMP.

Have you used other insulin types? HUMALOG, REGULAR, LENTE, ULTRALENTE, LANTUS

Which seems most effective? NOVOLOG SEEMS TO WORK NOW, BUT CORRECTIONS OFTEN TAKE A LONG TIME.

Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? IT HAS BEEN SO LONG SINCE I USED ANYTHING ELSE THAT I CANNOT COMPARE NOVOLOG. PEAK APPEARS TO BE 90-150 MINUTES AFTER BOLUS.

Have you noticed any side effects? NO

Does your insurance prefer one over another? NO, BUT THEY DON’T COVER ONETOUCH METERS AND STRIPS ANYMORE.

Is one cheaper for you? NOTHING IS CHEAP.

I forgot to include the ones I have used in the past: Lantus, novolog R, 70/30 mix, novolin, humalog.

What insulin do you use? Humalog and Lantus

Why did you decided to use it? doc prescribed for me when first diagnosed

Have you used other insulin types? No

Have you noticed any side effects? No

Does your insurance prefer one over another? don’t know

Is one cheaper for you? never tried other insulins

What insulin do you use? Humolog and Lantus

Why did you decide to use it. Dr. prescibed Lantus. I asked for Humolog.

Have not used other insulins.

Which seems most effective? I split my Lantus dose; makes it more effective. Humolog works best if I wait 15 minutes to eat after injection.

Have you noticed any side effects? Lantus burns if I don’t inject just right.
Does your insurance prefer one over another? Is one cheaper for you? My insurance covers part of the cost of both. Since I haven’t used another kind[s], I don’t know if any othe is cheaper.

MDIs,Type 1

Apidra: fastest for me to correct highs.
Humulin Regular: use for meal bolus becaue rapid acting worked too fast
Levemir: most stable without peaks, slightly higher dose than when I was taking Lantus
Lantus: previous use, had peaks

Novlaog u100–tried apidra but it doesn’t like me. When I need to use shots I use levemir for long acting. Used Humalog before the pump with no issues, but endo like novalog better in pumps–says it clogs less

use a mini med 522–but less than happy with mini-med at the moment–so in 2 years I may njot stay with them when it is replacement time. Depens on where CGMS integration with other pumps is by then–I don’t want 2 devices. It is the one my dr uses himself (but many patients of his use the omni-pod–he is abotu his patients not his way only)

My insurance currently has no preference of insulins or pumps

Lilly U-100 humalog. In a Minimed 712.

I have used U-100 Humalog in a minmed 512 pump

I have used U70 R, U70 L and U 70 Ultra

Also U100 R, U100 L and U100 Ultra

Of all those the pump is like the best thing ever.

I also have the real time CGM and that was the only thing that was difficult to get approved.

Other questions:

Why did you decided to use it? Its a Lilly insulin, and they allowed my aunt (in 1947) to have free insulin just before she died. So my family traditionally uses Lilly insulin. They are headquartered in Indianapolis as well.

Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? THis is such a short acting insulin so long term trends are not really noticed.

Have you noticed any side effects? The usual lows and highs

Does your insurance prefer one over another? No

Is one cheaper for you? No, except that pharmacies in my area usually carry Lilly and the other brands are a little spotty sometimes. I do not knwo any local diabetics who do not use Lilly.

rick phillips

What insulin do you use? Apidra

Why did you decided to use it? My endo gave me free samples after it came out. She wanted patient feedback from patients currently pumping with Humalog. She thought its more rapid peak onset would be better for me because I had a tendency to bolus post-meal, which I eventually learned to stop doing!

Have you used other insulin types? Humalog, Regular, NPH

Which seems most effective? Apidra has been good for me for over four years, but Humalog worked well, too.

Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? Like others have said, I’ve been on it so long I can’t say as far as comparisons. I also have learned more about how insulin works in the last few years. I will say that it peaks 45-60 minutes after I bolus and that it leaves my system within about 3-3.5 hours. For a high over 250, it takes 2-3 hours to return to a target BG.

Have you noticed any side effects? No

Does your insurance prefer one over another? Yes, and none of my plans has ever preferred Apidra, which means I pay the higher drug tier prices.

Is one cheaper for you? On my current plan, I don’t know what I would pay to use a different insulin, but I know Apidra is about $115 per bottle OTC and I use two bottles a month, so without insurance, it would be really cost-prohibitive. With a co-pay, I recently paid about $100 for 6 bottles (90-day supply) through my mail-order insurance. That, I can do.

This survey has been approved by TuDiabetes Administration.

For Allison Blass who saved the ninjabetic’s auss :wink:

What insulin do you use? Humalog
Why did you decided to use it? Endo put me on it 10 years ago
Have you used other insulin types? Regular and N made by Lilly, I have Lantus in the fridge in case of a pump failure but I have never used Lantus before.
Which seems most effective? Definitely Humalog.
Have you noticed any trends in how it works (peaks at such-and-such time, need higher dose vs. another brand, etc.)? Humalog works much better for me than regular did. It acts faster, is out of my system quicker, and I need less of it.
Have you noticed any side effects? Because I am so sensitive to it I have to be careful how long I wait to eat after bolusing. I am prone to lows as sometimes even if I take the insulin when I take the 1st bite of food, the insulin acts faster than my digestion does.
Does your insurance prefer one over another? No
Is one cheaper for you? Not at all! My copay is higher on Humalog than if I were on Regular. If I had to pay for Lantus, it costs more too (My endo gives me a bottle to keep in the fridge)

What insulin: Novolog
Why did you decide to use it? Least likely to crystallize in pump lines and now only insulin approved for more than 48hrs in the reservoir. Tried Apidra…may try it again:) I found the vial I used seemed to not be working…postprandials went up…maybe it was the vial I got?
Other insulins used all the Regulars/Humulin, NPH/Lente, UL, Humalog, Lantus, Novolog…and tried Apidra and Levimer is in my fridge if my pump fails:) Always have been on MDI…originally small shots of Regular and then had to add a basal which was NPH or Lente, then concocted my own pump of UL basal/Regular and later fast acting boluses. In early 90’s started on the pump using Humalog…few years later switched to Novolog.
Most effective and trends for me it has been Novolog…but, really wanting a faster acting insulin w/ a slightly longer action:) for bolusing and faster acting insulin w/ minimal tail for bringing higher blood sugars down! Reason I say this is that I eat pretty high fiber and may even have some gastroparesis that has not been diagnosed…so for food, I need something different than for SSI. Novolog starts working at bringing my bgs down in about 1/2 hour and in some cases I am where I want to be in an hour. I notice that it is still working for me about 3 hours after bolusing. There is an insulin under development called SmartInsulin that would react to blood sugars in the tissue/vessels and only release as needed…that would be like an injectable pump!
Side effects, insurance preference, expense itchy bumps at infusion sites (not always), can get what my doc orders and copays are higher of 2 tiers = $20/month (2 vials), all insulins have become expensive and w/ a cap of $1500 in meds/yr I have to think about it.