Diabetic Cook Books = Stupid

Ok so i’m just going to vent a little bit here. I know that it’s no big deal and that i’m just being about as stupid as the title to this blog but i’m very irritated by “Diabetic” Cookbooks. Mainly because there is nothing in this world that i diabetic can’t eat. I think instead of labeling these cookbooks as “Diabetic” they should call them “Low Carb.” or CookBooks with nutritional info or something. I don’t know… it’s not like I really care or that i’m abnormally bothered by this but I was just sitting at my desk looking through some of the cookbooks in my office for ideas for a cooking group that i run once a week at the local youth centre and the thought just popped into my head. Why do they make cookbooks especially for us?

Because most are sold to those who are newly DX’d, or someone not diabetic who thinks that buying a diabetic cookbook will make them more thoughtful/considerate of their diabetic friends (notice how there is often a “diabetic desserts” or similar book as an impulse item at most grocery stores)… not realizing that there is very little difference in the content other than the name.

Not true Sarah! I once used a d-cookbook that prided itself on using alternative sugar sources. I tried a brownie recipe that used PRUNES and it was the grossest thing ever. That cookbook went in the garbage bin along with the brownies! Cheers, MJ

Because we make a very large target audience. And I’m not talking body composition, just sheer numbers :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: In my day job, I work for a company that makes cookbooks, so you can stop reading now, unless you’re really eager to know more about my philosophy on recipes that are useful when a person wants to cook with diabetes in mind …

Ideally, cookbooks labeled “diabetic” or “diabetes” would look at all the nutritional requirements of eating well for diabetes, not just be low carb.

To cater to diabetes-specific health concerns–weight maintenance/loss needs, blood lipids, and blood pressure (nearly 75% of adults with diabetes have high blood pressure–not so good for avoiding complications)–recipes should be sensible in calories, limited in saturated fat, contain no trans fats, be high in fiber, use whole grains as much as possible, encourage vegetable consumption, be well-balanced, champion lean proteins, contain all nutrition counts (fiber, so it can be subtracted from total carb count to equal net carbs, sodium so people can have a chance at consuming no more than 1,500 mg/daily, for example), offer substitutions and recommend which sugar substitutes will work (for people who use them).

Also, it’s nice when recipes list exact serving sizes (ever tried to figure out the individual serving size from a pot of stew that claims to have 8 servings–is it 1 cup or 2 cups or 1.33 cups?).

And I appreciate when the recipes are tested by a test kitchen (so the measurements and methods will work in my kitchen) and tasted by a taste panel that helps avoid gross pruney brownies. 'Cause who wants to go to all the work of buying ingredients and standing over a hot stove if it’s gonna be garbage-can material?

Obviously I have spend waaaaay too much time thinking about this.

I agree with you Billy. I despise the word Diabetic because I’m more then a disease. I’ve cringed through the years whenever I’ve read or heard that word. I refer to myself as a person who lives with Diabetes.

Ones like Kelly describes are helpful, but most I’ve seen are useless. Several friends gave me gifts of diabetic cookbooks. These books substituted artificial sweeteners for sugar & that was the only difference between them & regular recipes. Hint–if the cover has a pic of a bowl of pasta, it’s useless. Yep, one I received had pasta & rice recipes & no carb counts.

The best recipes I’ve found are on low carb sites.

Big money to be made on cookbooks, diet books & self-help books.

Kelly, I like your response. I have quite a few Diabetic cookbooks and find them very helpful because of the nutritional information. As like all cookbooks some are better than others.

Ya i totally understand that you probably make more sales on cookbooks if they say diabetic. I guess it just sort of irritates me a little because i get so mad when people look at what i’m eating and ask, “can you eat that?” it was just a thought and i decided to share it. Haha i still use some recipes out of “diabetic cookbooks” for some of my cooking groups and such just because they do have all the nutritional information. It was just a thought… nothing really against them.

Good point, Kelly, about serving sizes. Even my Weight Watcher cookbooks will say things like “Soup serves 12.” Great. I made soup. Now let me pour it into 12 equally sized bowls so I can determine if I’m eating exactly 1/12th in this sitting. Or it says “Serve over rice” and shows grilled chicken and veggies served over rice in the photo and then lists the carb count as 36g. “Great, is that 36g before the rice? And how much rice? Because there’s no way that that whole meal served over rice is just 36g…but with just those veggies? UGH.”

I am so annoyed by every cookbook I own lately…and I cook at home every night. I just want a d@mn measurement. 2/3 cup, 8 ounces, 2 tablespoons, I don’t care! Just give me something I can weigh or measure.

I love Fine Cooking magazine, and also Martha Stewart’s little magazine, Everyday Food. They both list nutritional info. I stopped subscribing to Gourmet last year because they didn’t list the data. I guess it’s my fault they just folded.

This is the exact reason why I do diabetic cookbook reviews on my blog. I try to take everything into account although I do miss a point here and there once in awhile. I would be interested in knowing people’s opinions on certain diabetic cookbooks. If anyone is interested in joining a group that does diabetic cookbook reviews just click here. You will have to have a Google account in order to join.

actually the magazine kelly works for has good nurtrition info with each recipe and they keep diabetics in mind without killing you with untasteful foods. BUT as a person who hates to cook or even think about cooking, cookbooks don’t do much for me. I get nervous about measuring too Melissa, i could never imagine making spaghetti with the sauce already poured in it just for the simple fact you can’t control the carbs. So how do i eat you ask??? I eat frozen foods and anything i slap together i make sure i can count it (like salads or sandwichs). But one day i hope to be brave enough to make a recipe and as melissa put it “pour it into 12 equally sized bowls so I can determine if I’m eating exactly 1/12th in this sitting.” (even the hamburger helper portion is to small after you cook it!)