Diabetic Police?

Hi~ I am brand new to the site but not to diabetes. Do any of you have the diabetic police as family or friends? I love that people are concerned, but it gets REALLY annoying having people ask me constantly if I should/ can be eating something. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

here’s a video from Mike Lawson that explains all the different types of diabetes police - it’s so funny!

Great video!!!

Ruth

Like the ones that come up and see the candy on your desk and say “You shouldn’t be eating that.” You then explain that they are there due to the fact that you just had a low and was treating for it. They in turn look at you with a blank stare having no clue what that means.

I’m pretty laid back but this issue grates a raw nerve. I posted an experience on tu a month or so ago. You have got to read some of the responses. They were a hoot.

http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topics/dinner-with-the-food-police

this is why i’ve never told anybody i’m diabetic. it makes life much easier. and … after 50 years as T1 with no complications there’s no reason to disclose it. only my wife, my kids and doctor knows. no one else, ever. not when i was at school, not in college and not now.

Now WE know! It’s blackmail time!

$1000 or your work will receive an anonymous call informing them of your Type 1.

i like it! i’ll even give you some help … i work east of the mississippi river but spend most of my time in the white house covering obama.

I wonder how well would it go over if I were to call the White House with computerized voice masking, making blackmail threats… hmm, i may want to use a payphone for this

my mother’s side of the family and my bf are the biggest perpetrators… grrrr

I think the diabetes police should be issued badges, so we can see them coming & run in the opposite direction!

Love Mike’s video.

Hey Amy!!

I occasionally have people attempt to police me and I try to be polite about it. But it drives me crazy as if I’m a total idiot when it comes to my disease.

I started out to be very open about my diabetes. 36 years ago. Then I realized that there was only downside to me being open. Some people treated me like an invalid. Others questioned every bite I put into my mouth. Or if I was not eating, why I was not eating because they thought it was time for me to eat. I grew so sick of it that these days I don’t tell anybody. I have known people for 20+ years and they don’t know (so I assume). At least they don’t engage me in smalltalk about diabetes. All I reveal is that I am on a low-carb diet. This is to avoid dinner invitations for pasta.

oh yeahhave it all the time!
My dad is the worst one, ill be sitting there with a choc bar ( which is rare for me anyway!) and he’ll go, ‘oh are you meant to be having that?’

’ no actually, i was accused and found guilty of murder but I was sentenced to death by chocolate by a sadistic judge… or i could be going low, what do you think dad?’

After I tell them I can eat what I want I just have to dose for it, this is my most unliked response " Oh, you have the bad one" Thanks that makes me feel so much better.LOL

Welcome Amy! As long as you have D there will always be D police. When I worked and someone brought in some type of food, they would offer and then would remember I had D. They would say sorry I forgot, I would reply that’s ok I choose not to have any. Having a choice made me feel that I was in control of the situation.

Oh, yes…never more than since I’ve gone on the pump. I got lectured by the lunch lady at work when I bought a lime ice cream bar. yes, I accounted for the carbs, and all of that, and she threw a tizzy at me. Umm…really? I understand the wellmeaning ness of the whole thing, but come the heck on! I’m just waiting for the students to notice that I’m wearing the pump and see what they do. They already get on the 8th grade hr teacher who’s diabetic, so I’m dying to see what they do to me!

Saw the video! Priceless. Gloomy Glenda was my favourite. I recently had someone tell me that their grandmother had to have her leg amputated. How am I supposed to respond to that?! She wasn’t taking care of her diabetes! Diabetic police is a term I just learned about - but generally I think that video is right. People are afraid of what they don’t understand.

The unknown is always the most frightening. That’s why education is essential to living with our disease.

imagine what happnd to me i had low blood sugar and wanted juice but my teacher didnt let me drink it all because she kept complaining i would have "side effect"
i ended up screaming at her and chuging my juice down
btw my blood glucose was 55
:@