Diabetic Siblings?

My sister (7 years my senior) and I are both Type 1–is anyone familiar with this? I can’t seem to find any good information on how common it is, etc.

I am Type 1 (really 1.5) and my brother is type 2. Not sure what to make of it.

When I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 7 in 1976, my older sister already had type 1 diabetes for 4 years. We were told that we were atypical, and that type 2 had a stronger family incidence. In general, autoimmune diseases seem to run in families much more than type 1 diabetes (certainly when compared to type 2 diabetes). Joslin’s website has some stats on the family incidence of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes which provides some good stats on the subject.

My twin sister was D. She was dx when we were 13 months (1976) My brother was dx when he was 2 years and 4 months.

The twin study that we were in suggested that I carry the exact gene my sister had, and therefore I would get it. But here I am at 32 with no sign (yet…) I do use my daughters kit to check myself occasionally.

I ran into a mom of newly dx kids…one 4 and the other 2. Wondering if there are other ‘kids’ out there myself that have type 1. My oldest daughter, 24, has type 1 and wondering about my other children. Daughter #2 is having some eye issues right now and am wondering if she is becoming type 1.

honestly, I’m the ONLY TYPE 1 in my entire blood line. My brother, though, (age 28) is showing symptoms of diabetes (I gave him one of my old meters) but I’m not sure if it’s because he’s a hypochondriac. He definitely runs higher BG than is typical and gets lower than is typical… but he’s not anywhere near my peaks and valleys.

Not sure what to make of it either, as I’ve seen many trends where type 1 is a once in a generation thing.

Odds are increased for close relatives (parents, siblings, children) but still not too high compared (3 to 4 percent) compared to background. You might want to contact Joslin study “Trialnet” ( http://www.diabetestrialnet.org/about/index.htm ) . They do a blood test for any close relative of a T1, looking for someone with antibodies indicating they are on their way to developing T1. I had my kids tested every year or so when they were young; luckily nothing for them.

My brother is also type 1 - diagnosed at age 25, as an adult like me.

I was dxd. Type 1 at age 3 and my 2 Brothers were both dxd. at age 4, before me. My Sis(and my Brother’s twin) is a non-Diabetic.

My first Cousin has 3 Sons who were dxd. with Type 1 also at ages 11, 7 and 3.

It would be a Good idea to have your Daughter tested, just in case. You could also check her sugars at home at the appropriate times with your other Daughter’s BG meter. Or purchase an inexpensive one at Walmarts(Relion). Either way would answer your question.

Thanks for all the help with some answers. Daughter #1 is not living near daughter #2…see what happens when they start having lives of their own. 24 years and the other 21 years.

Terrie8- Are you all first generation type 1s? Or is this something that runs in the family history?

I have 2 daughters who are type 1. My youngest was diagnosed on May3rd 2007 at 9 years old. On May 27th 2007 my 15 year old was diagnosed. We also help run a support group in Redding CA and there is a family who attends that have siblings that are diabetic. So I guess it’s not as uncommon as one would think. I found out through a research study done by TrialNet that I carry the auto-antibodies that will someday lead to type 1. Previous to this we had no family history of diabetes.

No one in our Family knew of anyone else in our Family that had Diabetes. That’s why everyone was so shocked that my Parents had 3 little Kids with Diabetes, in a row. Especially since one twin got it but the other twin was a non-Diabetic. We all grew up in the same house, ate the same foods, experienced the same outtings, etc.

Back in the 1990’s my Endo then, thought it would be useful for our Family to get tested and participate in a study(I forget the name of it) but my Dad had passed away the year before, so we were not eligible for the testing.