Difference between Novolog and Humalog?

Hi guys. Quick question: have any of you noticed a difference between Novolog and Humalog? I normally use Humalog, but I ran out and a friend gave me her Novolog that she has a surplus of. I checked with my doctor who said I could try it, but it doesn’t work the same for everyone. Talk about understatement! I used the same amount of Novolog I would normally use of Humalog and it’s like I injected water! I checked the expiration and everything is fine. Called my doctor and she said that it just doesn’t work as well for some people, and something about being a different strength. Can anyone give me a little more info? I have 6 vials and would hate to waste it, but if it isn’t going to work, I don’t want to waste my time or needles. Thanks!

For me they are similar, but it seems that Novolog (NovoRapid, in Europe) works a bit faster for me. With Humalog, I would wait 25 minutes before eating. With Novolog, I can only wait 10-15 minutes.

Click here for different people’s experience with all three rapid acting insulins. As you can see, everyone’s experiences vary!

I love my Humalog. It works perfect for me. I’m not really sure what is going on with the Novolog. I have so many vials I want to use it, but it just doesn’t seem to work. This has happened before but I figured since I’ve started the Metformin that maybe it would act differently now, but apparently not. It’s a shame too.

My Endo just gave me novolog and apidra to try. I’ve been taking humalog for 15 years. Novolog was very similar, slightly better (my use went from ~50 u/day to ~46 u/day - not statistically different). Apidra was a train wreck, BG >200 and nothing I could do would get it down, perhaps similar to your observation with novolog. So, like everyone else is saying, we are all different.
They are also different forms of salt to keep them in solution, I suspect the form of salt might matter as well. I’m sticking with novolog only because that form of salt is supposed to be easier on pumps.