Discrimination of Type 2 Diabetics?

I mean the guy seems to have HUNDREDS of videos of him doing stuff like this on YouTube? He pwns many of his peers in that category!

I find comments about Type 2s, like the one you responded to, to be misinformed and hurtful just as I find comments like “Type 1s moan and cry how no one understands Type 1.” It’s unfortunate that you feel the need to take a swipe at Type 1s when trying to make your point. Its all very sad.

I guess… in many ways, I feel jealous… because Type 1’s come here, and they get respite from the ignorance of the world, and their ignorant comments… But we come here, and we get no rest from it as we also have to deal with the ignorant Type 1 comments who are often as uneducated or worse than the general public about Type 2… many times because they’re bitter to be lumped in with us.

I don’t mind some debate, but some of these discussions (like this one), have gone on forever… with no seeming resolution, and with sooo much offensive stuff, that I think they might be more hurtful to newcomers than helpful… One lady was so offended, I haven’t seen her comment in here anymore, and she was brand new. I don’t blame her. This one guy was allowed to go on forever in here on his obese people prejudices, and such… and he used such harsh words. It’s really quite distressing.

All types of diabetes sucks!! None of us is better, worse or deserved to get it. Period. Educate others and yourself. Do the best you can and let the rest GO!! No one wins just because you are a type 1 or 2, LADA etc.

OMG, divorce!! Who would get to keep the broken pancreas?

You know that I love your passion and I worry about you. Thank you for the apology, but I want you to know that I wrote my post not really looking for one, but to say that when we encounter misinformation, we can make our point without taking a swipe and further inflaming the argument. But ironically enough, I did inflame the argument.

This back @ Joe…To me, TuDiabetes is where “we”, people with pancreatically aimed insulin deficiencies (PAIN, working on the acronym to include “in the ass…”) should get together to find a common voice to attack the people outside of the barbed wire. Particularly doctors and insurance companies that we have to fight with. “we have a new process, you need to get your doctor to write a letter of medical necessity” "sure, you KNOW who my #%^@! doctor is so why don’t you #%^@! call them and get it your #%^@! self". I mean really, I have two months, I’m seeing the doctor soon too, which they would know if they read their medical records properly and they should not need me to do #%^@! anything. But it’s not, because that’s the way it is.

Instead, I will call the doctor’s assistant, I’m not sure if the people answering the phone are nurses or just work there. I will tell them what to send, they’ll fish it out of the computer and fax it over, like they probably do dozens of times/ week and the insurance company will give it up like the #%^@! tools they are. I should bill them for the 1/2 hour of time I will spend calling around with the #%^@! requests but well, I know that’s not covered. When we divert our energies into what amount to semantic debates like this one, the enemies on the other side of the barbed wire are happy.

I’m not sure I agree that research is split between T1 and T2. The roots seem to be different, at least to my read of the wikipedia diabetes article. I don’t think that someone applying for a T1 grant would necessarily even be looking at the same parts of your guts that a T2 researcher would be looking at, if they really wanted to get to the bottom of this. At the same time, it’s the same organ causing the problem and there are genetic roots to both diseases. It’s an interesting medical mystery.

I am sort of dismayed by the suggestion that a “closed loop” system will be the big deal is supposed to be. If it’s adjusting itself for three days in a row, you should be able to ascertain where the issue is and adjust it so it’s not adjusting itself, which you can do w/ a CGM or BG meter now. I think there’s quite a bit of research $$ going into that but, to me, that thing will be worthless when I am stalking a burrito.

I think there’s room to work together. I think a lot of the T1 people (e.g. me) who haven’t hung with T2 people a lot probably learn a lot from the T2 people here (since there are more of y’all, after all…) but I think that it’s important for us to stick together because there are still more of them. Ooo rah.

I looked it up in the Merriam Webster on-line dictionary, and both pronunciations are correct. So that’s at least ONE thing we shouldn’t be fighting about!!! :slight_smile:

Well, have you ever looked to see how often Type 1’s say no one understands them? I see it over and over and over and over again. Don’t you think that people who have made the effort to learn at least maybe understands them a little? Apparently not. I think you’re taking offense where none was intended.

That’s what I started the Type 2 group for. A place to vent, and a place to be free of myth and misinformation.

On newsgroup alt.support.diabetes, there definitely are some who discriminate, especially the one who is trying to invent new names for all the known types of diabetes, and the “doctor” who thinks that all types of diabetes are due to eating more than two pounds of food a day.

So if a Type 1 says they FEEL like no one understands them, you get to call them whiners (essentially)? Aren’t they entitled to those feelings? After all isn’t that what this place is for? But instead you have now labeled them. And yes, I do think people have made an effort to understand them…here…but who are you to say what it is like for them day in and day out? Not that it gives them license to say hurtful things about Type 2s. You might not have “intended” to offend anyone, but I was and perhaps it was because I have seen some of your comments about Type 1s that were a lot harsher. I had followed conversations and threads to try to see how the Type 2 community were feeling after threads like this pop up. I have many Type 2 diabetics in my family and I CARE how they feel and I wanted to make the conserted effort to learn. And I have learned…a lot, but I also am disheartened by these arguments. People are very hurt and rightfully so, but so many people will go on to say hurtful things back. And that’s fine. But you can’t be surprised when someone takes offense.

interesting. doesn’t run in my family, i wasn’t obese and i exercised regularly, more than most people my age (mid 50’s)… think the jury is still out on that…

I have felt it too from people that don’t know any better. I even get it from my mom every once in a while. She just says, maybe if you hadn’t been drinking so many sodas or eating so much junk food. But even though I was overweight for most of my life, I have gone down in weight big time. In my case, my grandmother had diabetes and two of my uncles have it also. So I know where mine comes from. Maybe if I had taken better care of myself earlier in life, I would have been able to at least postpone my being diagnosed by a few years. Now I have it, I live with it, and I take better care of myself than I ever did. So I am not ashamed of it! I even challenge people who don’t know any better to educate themselves because you never know when something like this could hit close to home.

I AM sorry you took my figure of speech so negatively. But I also want you to know that it was in response to a woman who said that Type 2 was caused by obesity (and went on and on about it), and I was responding to her in an emotional way. Maybe I should have waited for my emotions to die down before responding. But SHE wasn’t the one who said hurtful things back; I was.

And just for the record, I’m not obese, and I’m not a classic Type 2 (I have 2 CDEs and an endo who tell me I’m Type 1, but I don’t buy it, and continue to call myself Type Weird) – I just have a lot of empathy for them because they are SO mistreated. I have listened to too many discussions in front of me about how obese people are such lazy, fat pigs, and people don’t know it hurts MY feelings. I know too many obese Type 2’s who try as hard as they can, and so this woman’s diatribe just set me off. I’m sorry if my emotional response got to you.

I am certain no one including endos understands T1 w/o actually being a T1 since I am fairly certain that injecting insulin is pretty much like doing a hard drug all the time, albeit a handy one to have around. Sylvia Plath touched on insulin therapy in “The Bell Jar” but I don’t see that it helped her a whole lot and her description of it is pretty short? I haven’t run into too many other accounts of uses of insulin outside of managing T1/T2 although there was a very interesting thread about 'roids/#25 at fantasybaseballcafe.com a couple of years ago that suggested that insulin had some utility as a 'roid due to it’s undectability. I’m still waiting to get ripped.

Ha Acid…too funny!! The MOVIE “The Bell Jar” touches on it a tad more…or gives a better suggestion. I can’t imagine considering the depths of a low as therapeutic!! BRRR!!

That’s a really good question! I haven’t had too much of that yet, but I am sure I will run across it at some point and just handle it the best I can. Thanks for a thoughtful question!

Cathy

I agree with you all they way, I also feel that type 2’s get discriminated all the time even by the medical system and proffecionals. My daughter is tired of this desease and she’s only 13. I sit with her and we read comments put here and she gets mad. People, we need our own. T 1 get it all. They get the attention the care and the pumps too. My daughter has been waiting for a pump since 2005 and nothing yet, she’s insulin dependant type 2 and it’s frustrating.But we need our own web site where we mother’s of type t 2’s can vent and ask for guidence and advice.

I really like that ! A very well done analogy ! Thank you for that ! Bravo !

Cathy

Yes, I feel that we are blamed for our diabetes.

ALmost every person in my family that is an adult is diabetic. Mothers side and my fathers side!

I weighed 115 when I got pregnant, and had a 9 pound 3 oz baby. I wasn’t fat…every one said…“you’re high risk for becoming diabetic.”

And I know a whole lot of people that are a lot fatter than me that aren’t diabetic. There were a few people in my diabetes education class that were quite thin that were type 2.