DIY real-time hypoglycemia detector using HRV techniques

Thought some of you might be interested in following my progress on this. It’s an attempt to create a non-invasive device that can be built by hobbyist that can be helpful in detecting night-time episodes of hypoglycemia. I’m also turning this into a generic platform for real-time HRV analysis. If you’re not familiar with HRV, it’s the science of analyzing the rhythms in heart-rate change. It has a wide range of applications, including predicting mortality after myocardial infarction (heart attack), detection of sleep-apnea, and if I’m successful in my efforts, real-time detection of physiological processes related to onset of hypoglycemia.

If you’re interested, I’m chronicling my efforts at bryaningram.wordpress.com.

Bryan, this sounds really interesting. Even if it doesn’t directly lead to something, the investigation can only lead to better learning about your body and also about building a suitable device. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Great idea to detect hypos at night!

One iPhone app claimed that it can detect the sleeping pattern (you put the iPhone into your pillow) but the approach was according to tests in sleeping labs not very successful. I have still wondered if this idea can be utilized to detect rapid movements in a low situation. I guess the system would wake me up in bad dreams too so I am looking forward to your progress.