Do you follow a low carb diet? Introduce yourself here!

I want to Thank All of YOU for supporting me through this first Year! It has been a long, informative one… However I have not been alone! You all have been there supporting me and each other with all kinds of wonderful recipes to get those BS’s and A1c’s down! YEAH!!!
We all have the Winning Attitude, We are going to Control our Diabetes rather than our Diabetes Controlling US!
Blessings to YOU ALL!
Debra

Does anyone have simple recipe ideas for low carb for someone on a very strict budget and can barely afford food, I am a student and work part time, recipes with only a few ingredients or at least easy to find and cheap ingredients, I can’t afford things like coconut flour etc

Sweetblooded, try cheese, eggs, cream, roasted peanuts / almonds, cauliflower (for rice and soup), chicken bullion (again for soup), possibly hot dogs, tofu, leeks, onion broccoli etc. When I make cauliflower soup there is some 8 1.5 cup servings. Eggs I blow through 2 dozen quite quick between batter, over easy, and omelets.

Go to Netrition.com and get Joseph’s pitas, lavash bread, and some tortillas - a 6-8 week supply will cost you around $21.00. each package of 12 items is 3.00. Those are great for sandwiches, wraps, pizza, french toast, chips, etc. The list is endless and just 6 carbs for 1 pita or 1/2 a lavash piece. If you make more at home and eat out less that will reduce a lot of cost Ive noticed. Hope this helps.

This is relatively cheap - and is super easy and very delicious:
Sugar-Free Strawberry Trifle

Sugar-Free Angel Food Cake (I get mine from the bakery dept at my local Publix Grocery)
Sugar-Free Vanilla Pudding, instant kind
Sugar-Free Strawberry Glaze (I get this at Publix also, but it is Marzetti brand - they stock it with the fresh strawberries)
Fresh Strawberries - sliced to a decent bite size works best
Sugar-Free Cool Whip

Instructions:
Break the Sugar-Free Angel Food cake into chunks
Place the cake in the bottom of a Trifle bowl
Prepare Sugar-Free Pudding according to direction & pour over the cake chunks.
Mix sliced strawberries with Sugar-Free Strawberry Glaze and pour over the pudding
Top with Sugar-free Cool Whip and refrigerate until ready to serve

I love this - it’s light, refreshing and it is so good you would never guess it was Sugar-Free! I make half at a time in a 4cup plastic bowl so I can seal it and keep it in the fridge for several days - doing it this way it equates to about 29 carbs per cup (1/4 of the bowl I use)

Canned tuna is low-carb, but you may want to experiment with ideas on what to combine it with.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, very helpful and very much appreciated!

You can make fish cakes with canned tuna and salmon. I use bran instead of breadcrumbs and add various flavourings, parsley is something I often use. These fishcakes freeze well too. I have them with salad or vegetables for a meal.

You guys are all so awesome, thank you so much once again for the suggestions, I am writing it all down :slight_smile:

Our group is getting bigger every day! Welcome to all the new members!

Do any of you all have any great Christmas cookie recipes that would be low carb?
How about posting them under the Holiday Recipes Discussion! I am gonna post some that I have found! I want to get baking tomorrow!
Merry Christmas Everyone!![|298x400](upload://sp3PCivSs4P5FpQeyc6zLWNwuyW.jpeg)

I've found some low-carb cookie recipes, but haven't tried them.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/recipes/1564-sugar-free-christmas-cookies

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/holiday/our-best-christmas-cookie-recipes/?sssdmh=dm17.568124&esrc=nwdlo122011&email=3746570768

Thank You Robert,

Your an Angel!

Hugs,

Debra

No one will guess these are low carb. 7 carbs for the entire recipe! I brought a pile to a friend, a picky foodie friend, & she raved. They melt in your mouth & are so pretty. The raw cookie dough is good, too:)

Recipe is from DarDream's blog.

Recipe below is using a larger pizzelle maker than I have. I get 30+ using the smaller shaped griddle. The combo of Splenda & erythritol is awesome. No artificial after-taste when they're used together. Erythritol is expensive, but only a small amount is needed. It's 70% as sweet as sugar, Sift it with a strainer before using because it tends to clump in the package, or grind to powder in a coffee grinder (takes 2 secs).

Pizzelle maker I have http://www.amazon.com/Cucina-Pro-Pizzelle-Baker/dp/B00387DCUM/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1294871487&sr=1-9 They also have one that makes larger pizzelle that can be rolled around a dowel, that comes with it, to make cones that can be stuffed all kinds of delish fillings.

Without a pizzelle maker, I'm sure they can be rolled thin between waxed paper & baked on a baking sheet with parchment paper.

PIZZELLE-- makes 16-30, 7 carbs entire recipe
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Fiberfit liquid Splenda (ordered from www.netrition.com, very concentrated a bottle lasts a long time)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup powdered erythritol (ordered from netrition.com)
3/4 cup vanilla whey isolate protein powder (if you don't have vanilla flavored, add more vanilla extract)
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup WPI 5000 (wheat isolate protein ordered from netrition.com)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the pizzelle baker. Oil it lightly for the first batch only . I use the butter leftover in the pot from melting the 1/2 cup.

Whisk the egg into the melted butter.
Whisk in the Fiberfit.
Whisk in the vanilla.
Whisk in the erythritol.
With a spoon, stir in whey protein, almond meal, WPI & salt.
Let the dough sit for a few minutes to firm up a little. It should be a dough, not a batter.
Roll into balls about 1" or slightly smaller depending on the size of the pizzelle maker.
Put a ball in the center of each pizzelle form in the baker.
Close the lid, lock it, and check the pizzelle after about 20-30 seconds. These cook very quickly; you want them golden, not dark brown.

With a spatula, remove the pizzelle gently to a wire rack to cool. If desired, roll the pizzelle into a cone or cylinder shape or push down into an oiled bowl for a bowl shape. The pizzelle will be soft at first, but will get crisper the longer they cool.

Judith, I think I did a variation of your Walnut cake last year for my Birthday. Was it your Mother's favorite? I did it with Pecan flour but I really do need to try it with the walnuts. It was GREAT!!!!
Please add the cake and cheesecake recipes!!!!!
You have some Good Ones!!!!
Merry Christmas!
Debra

Oh Gerri, I have to check and see if I still have my Pizzelle maker! These look GREAT! Isn't Netrition Wonderful?
Thanks For Posting!
Debra

I do love Netrition. Here's a wonderful cheesecake recipe. Want to see Judith's also. Cheesecake is the easiest thing to make low carb because it's just substituting the sweetener. It's naturally low carb because it's all fat:)

I don't bother with a water bath. If the top cracks, I put sliced almonds on top, or chocolate ganache.

Cheesecake 10 good sized servings 8 carbs per serving using zero carb sweetener

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (softened)
1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent (I use a combo of zero carb Fiberfit & erythritol)
5 eggs (room temp)
1 TBS vanilla (or more)
1 TBS fresh lemon juice (or more)
16 ounces sour cream

Crust

2 cups almond flour
4-5 TBS melted butter

Preheat 325

Combine almond meal & melted butter. Press into a springform pan. Line sides about 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan. Set aside.

Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blended in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.

DO NOT open the oven while baking, this might make it crack. When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door. Leave in oven for 1 hour. After one hour, remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, so if it shrinks while cooling it will not crack at that time either. Let cool to just about room temperature before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.

A cheesecake needs to ripen for 24 hours to be good.

Yummmmmm!
I do love cheesecake!

I’m gonna try these as they look kinda good too! I think I’m gonna add some LC choc chips and maybe some coconut.

Glad you enjoyed it, Judith. Yea, very rich!

Egg Nog 6 1/2 cups, 17 grams entire recipe using zero carb sweetener
•6 eggs
•4 cups unsweetened almond milk
•2 cups heavy cream
•½ cup equivalent sugar substitute, or to taste (liquid preferred because it blends in easier)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
•¼ cup brandy
•¼ cup rum or bourbon
•Nutmeg (grated fresh nutmeg is best)

Use super fresh free range eggs because you’re using raw eggs.

Easy Method: Put all the ingredients (except nutmeg) into a blender. Sprinkle with nutmeg

Traditional Method: Separate the eggs, beat the yolks until light, and the whites until they form soft peaks. If you want a lighter texture, whip the cream as well & fold in gently.